Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Improving my quality of life...
10-15-2016, 01:23 AM
RE: Improving my quality of life...
Bahahahahaha! rolling on the floorlaughingrolling on the floorlaughing

(10-14-2016 11:02 PM)LauCo77 Wrote:  DIBSMKTMIGBWGIs (Dual Income But So Many Kids The Money Is Gone Before We Get It).... Hmmm I may need to work on the acronym a bit....

I don't know, DIBSMKTMIGBWGIs is really catchy!! rolling on the floorlaughingrolling on the floorlaughing
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2016, 07:47 AM
(10-14-2016 11:02 PM)LauCo77 Wrote:  I can't even fathom the DINK life.... we are DIBSMKTMIGBWGIs (Dual Income But So Many Kids The Money Is Gone Before We Get It).... Hmmm I may need to work on the acronym a bit....

Brilliant! Love it laughing Nowt like a catch up to put a smile on my face.
10-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Thinking about you... did you get your essay in yesterday?

Laura
10-19-2016, 04:59 AM
(10-18-2016 07:55 AM)LauCo77 Wrote:  Thinking about you... did you get your essay in yesterday?

Yep, thanks for asking. It was dodgy as - I just couldn't get my head together. Oh well, I had already passed the subject, but maybe I won't get that HD... meh! P's mean degrees... its time for a break. 6 or so more weeks of work, then it's our summer break. My placement will finally be over then too. One more semester of uni left, then I'all be back to my normal, lazy life. And have more time for moving, getting fitter, cooking etc. and possibly a change of career? Gosh, I don't even know how to apply for jobs anymore! I've done the same job for 15 years.
10-20-2016, 08:15 PM
OK, time for a weekly review. As far as life is concerned, I'm super excited that uni has finished for the year. I haven't yet found out how my final essay went, but I don't hold much hope for it. I will pass that subject (I already had before I submitted the final assessment) and that's good enough. Work is hohum. I have ever decreasing numbers of students (I teach at a vocational education college in Australia, so it's not mandatory that people attend), which is quite worrying. Fortunately I'm a permanent employee, however it doesn't bode well for the long-term future as the cost-cutters are in control these days. Nothing I can do about it, and it could be helpful to have a semester off next year to knock the uni degree over... So, it'll be a win-win, whatever happens (for me, not the local community).

As far as EM2WL, I've been struggling to eat 2400 calories most days. I never thought I'd have difficulty with eating more! It would be easy if I was ignoring the macros, but chocolate, ice cream, wine, beer and cake don't have the protein I've been trying to increase (sadly).

I've averaged 2313 calories per day over the last week, which isn't too far off.

I averaged 121g of protein per day over the last week, which is a surprise. I didn't think I'd be over my goal of 120! I'm really happy with that.

My weight has stayed the same, wobbling around the 89.3 to 90.9 kg range, which is a 3.5 lb range, so that's also pretty good.

For the next week, I will try to average 2500 cals a day. I dunno how to do it, but I'll give it a good go!

I'll aim for 130g protein, and try to add more plant protein into my days, rather than increasing meat products. I don't want to increase the animal products beyond where I'm at. I found some little tins of legumes I could add to salads, so I'll buy them. I notice that I struggle to eat higher calories after a big meat-sourced protein day, maybe plant based protein won't have the same effect? I know it'll have another effect though - sorry to my partner! It ain't going to smell like a flower garden!

As for activity, I want to keep it much the same as this week, but I will add in 2 weight training sessions, and try to remember to go to boxing on Thursday. I got all confused about which day it was and missed it last night. Numbskull! It's getting to awesome bike riding weather, and now I'll have time for longer fun rides on the weekends. Yippee! I'll walk the woofer regularly and that'll do me.

Who'd have thought that a 5'2" lazybones would need to eat this many calories to maintain their weight? No wonder I binged so much when I was a teenager and trying to lose weight by eating 1200 calories. It makes me feel a bit sad. I remember having toast after toast after toast when I got home from school. I must have been starving! And then I learnt that eating all that food made the bad feelings go away. And that then became the story of my life for the next 35+ years... What a waste. All that self-hate. Anyway, I can't do anything about the past, just focus on the now and build in healthy habits for the next 35+ years!
10-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Good on you for not filling your cals with chocolate, ice cream and wine to get you up to goal. A took me a couple of weeks to stop doing this. I had to go for a blanket ban on junk food for a month to stop this. Now able to add it in moderation.

What proteins are you eating? I am always interested in people's choices when it comes to protein sources!

It's pretty amazing to be maintaining eating 2300 cals. As a fellow shorty :-) (5'3"), I will be reading with interest to see how you get on with 2500.

How are you finding your VivosmartHR? I have one too. It's nice to see someone not with a fitbit!!
10-21-2016, 06:24 PM
(10-21-2016 12:46 PM)Toki18 Wrote:  Good on you for not filling your cals with chocolate, ice cream and wine to get you up to goal. A took me a couple of weeks to stop doing this. I had to go for a blanket ban on junk food for a month to stop this. Now able to add it in moderation.

What proteins are you eating? I am always interested in people's choices when it comes to protein sources!

It's pretty amazing to be maintaining eating 2300 cals. As a fellow shorty :-) (5'3"), I will be reading with interest to see how you get on with 2500.

How are you finding your VivosmartHR? I have one too. It's nice to see someone not with a fitbit!!

Hi there!

I'm loving my Vivosmart. I had a Vivofit and was going to chuck it and all activity measurement doodads because I was sick of being measured, but my partner got one of these and I decided to give one last shot to health and fitness. I'm not sure why, but this one is just working for me. I've had numerous types of activity trackers in the past, but maybe it's that this has the heart rate capacity that makes it perfecto for me? I'm more of a Garmin girl because of the syncing with the cycling gadgets that we have, and keeping all the info in one place. I haven't been cycling much since starting uni, but I still like having a consistent website rather than 60million!

As for protein, I've woken up cranky as all hell about it! I had to wake up 4 times last night for toilet trips, and I'm so tired of pooing! I think it's because of the disgusting protein powder and quest bars I bought online. I hate stevia, saccharine, sugarine, whatever else they are called and I'm sure they are poisoning my bowels! I was going to come online and see what other ways there are to get protein in, or even if it's actually necessary to eat that much! I'm so tired of protein! I can manage to make 100g without artificial sources, but beyond that, it's just so hard. If this is going to be manageable and lifelong, it really has to be adaptable to me and my tastes. I won't be dieting. I won't make myself eat food I don't like (anymore!). How do you get all your protein? Do you meet the 40:30:30 ratio?

It's a yucky rainy day today, so I'm going to hit my uni online library and research protein needs of strength training women over 50... surely there are studies on this? (Actually, I listened to Kiki's latest Facebook video and it seems research only focuses on men or buff women!). Anyway, it will keep me out of mischief!

Please help Toki and other EM2WL gangsters- what should I do?

Annette, the poo you're a star!
10-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Well, I'm less cranky now, but still not sure what to do about protein and my fussy tongue! It just doesn't like fake sugar. My wife is a pastry chef, so there's no support for fake sugar in this house anyway! We don't eat a lot of cakes or pastries, but when we have them, they are really good!

I have been finding it a struggle to eat this much food. Especially since I'm trying to make healthy choices. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if I was to focus on chips, chocolates and alcohol! Then the calories would sky-rocket and I'd be starving! I guess that's a positive thing - my blood sugar levels must be quite even as I haven't been getting hangry during the day. Ok - I'm finding the positives now. I'm much prefer to be a happy Chappy than a grumpy bear.

Oh, @Toki - I find that my TDEE seems to be heaps more than the Vivosmart says it is. If I was to follow its readings, I would have a TDEE of around 2000 calories - 20% less than what I am eating and apparently burning at the moment! Do you want to be Garmin friends? my name on there is 66noodle. I only have 1 connection - my partner! She's bike mad!

Oh well, that's enough ramble for today. We're going to the movies tonight - Miss Peregrines School for Peculiar Children and dinner out at a new "modern Australian" cuisine restaurant. Yay!

thumbs up
10-22-2016, 02:27 AM
I do love the HR function on the VivosmartHR feel like the numbers are a little bit more accurate. I am really into the gps tracker, as a runner it means I don't have to run a seperate tracker on my phone. It seems pretty accurate as well on that.

I not a believer in protein shakes at all and I don't like the ingredient list on protein bars. They just seem rally unnatural and processed. It is definitely possible to get in more protein, it just takes time to get to use it. I start every meal by thinking about what the protein source will be but it has taken a good couple of months for this to be natural. You'll get there. I tend to eat a lot of nuts and seeds - on their own or as nut and seed bars. I do seem to get between 120-160g of protein but my problem is that my fat intake is really high from the nuts, seeds and cheese. Really need to figure out how to bring this down.

I tend to eat either chicken or salmon for lunch or dinner. I also make mini frittatas for a morning snack with smoked salmon and spinach and then in the afternoon I have what I call a protein pot - either chicken with spinach and chilli oil or flaked salmon with a boiled egg and spinach. Then obvs. a few servings of nuts and seeds.

I just watched the Kiki podcast as well! So in a few years time when people won't stop going on about metabolic resets, we can be the know it alls that go on about how we have been doing this for ever!

Wow your partner is a pastry chef! I don't know if I am envious or not - on one hand amazing desserts (i have been known to have my desserts before my main meal at restaurants if they are really good) on the other hand amazing desserts! (too many of my cals would end up being sugar based). How do you handle that or are you just over it now?

It's hard sometimes to remember the positives but def not being hangry is a good one!

I really hope my Vivosmart is not under reporting, it has me on average burning nearly 3000 cals a day, currently eating 2800, the idea of eating 2-400 cals more than I do now is scary!

Let's def be Garmin friends, you have one more friend than me, I really don't know anyone who has a Garmin! My username is: Toki.o, I have sent you a connection request.

Wow it seems I have rambled a bit as well! Need to get up for my run.
10-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Toki, don't sweat the higher fat. The downfall of fat is that it contains 9/cal per gram (v 4 for carbs and protein) so when you eat a lot of fat you eat a lot of calories. If your calories are good, you are fine. It is much better to eat too much (good) fat than too little.

Annette, have you researched the more natural protein bars? There was a post a little while ago that had some brand names, I'll have to find it. Anyway, the one that comes to mind because I buy them is Simply Protein. Short list of ingredients for a protein bar, low overall sugar, all ingredients you can pronounce, and no stevia et al.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fueling Life Jules 84 10,915 09-25-2017 08:03 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
Information LIFE... is my style! Let's do this!!! Saggy76 47 9,958 03-29-2016 10:16 AM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Raynn's Journey to a Healthier Life Raynn 18 13,182 07-17-2013 03:08 PM
Last Post: Kiki