Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Improving my quality of life...
11-02-2016, 09:51 AM
RE: Improving my quality of life...
I would stay where you are at for a couple weeks at least, and see where things go. As for the weekend weight gain, remember that alcohol is a macro, which means that as soon as you start consuming it, your body will burn the alcohol first, and everything else is on hold. Problem is alcohol and food tend to go together. So in this case it is more than just calories in/ calories out (it is ALWAYS more than that, but especially in this case) and it could mean that whatever you eat while drinking just gets stored as fat and not burned at all. Alcohol is even more the devil than it seems! (although I sold my soul to that delicious beast decades ago... lol) So, when you have a "party animal" weekend, try to track it all anyway. Even and especially the alcohol. Then what I do is use the next couple days to balance it out, focusing on lots of protein (i know, your nemesis) and getting back to the right TDEE number. Recognize, as I do, that it's a choice. We would have more steady success without the alcohol, but I for one and not willing to do that. So we have to be content with a slower process.
Cheers!

Laura
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2016, 07:39 PM
(11-02-2016 09:51 AM)LauCo77 Wrote:  I would stay where you are at for a couple weeks at least, and see where things go. As for the weekend weight gain, remember that alcohol is a macro, which means that as soon as you start consuming it, your body will burn the alcohol first, and everything else is on hold. Problem is alcohol and food tend to go together. So in this case it is more than just calories in/ calories out (it is ALWAYS more than that, but especially in this case) and it could mean that whatever you eat while drinking just gets stored as fat and not burned at all. Alcohol is even more the devil than it seems! (although I sold my soul to that delicious beast decades ago... lol) So, when you have a "party animal" weekend, try to track it all anyway. Even and especially the alcohol. Then what I do is use the next couple days to balance it out, focusing on lots of protein (i know, your nemesis) and getting back to the right TDEE number. Recognize, as I do, that it's a choice. We would have more steady success without the alcohol, but I for one and not willing to do that. So we have to be content with a slower process.
Cheers!

Thanks Laura,

I think you're right. I'll stabilise here at 2600 for a while and see what goes on with the scales. I noticed this morning that I've started trending down, so hopefully the weekend of indulgence is moving on. However, there's a music trivia night at the local club with the girls tonight.... So the devil alcohol devil is sure to make an appearance! I just hope he doesn't hang around on the scales for so long this time!

I've started to feel a bit better about the protein side of things. The last couple of days I've gone over 160 grams per day, applause so it's taking hold in my decision making for meals.

I'm not one to meal plan in advance - I don't know what I want from day to day and it wouldn't be something I could continue with forever (I've been listening to Kiki's videos and am taking away little pockets of wisdom) so what's the point? I'm not the person who can eat the same thing every day... The best I can do is take left-overs for lunch the next day, but beyond that, my tongue gets bored!! I can't live with a bored tongue!rolling on the floor Anyway, I have started to think - protein first and then build a meal or snack around whatever source of protein tempts me. It's quite changed my macros too. I now have much more fat in my diet too. Interesting...

And I'm sleeping so well lately! I wonder if that's related to the food changes? Nothing much else has changed... I'm super happy about that and hope it lasts.party Oh, and I'm rarely hungry. I don't even have a growly tummy in the morning. Usually that means I've been overeating, but I don't have the gross feeling I get when I've been stuffing my face all day... Interesting changes taking place! I wonder what's next???
11-11-2016, 04:08 AM

Alrighty, time for my next update!

If it worked, I've just attached my first month of weigh-ins on Happy Scale. As you can see, the weight has steadily increased, primarily since I increased my calorie goal to 2600. It has been squewed by the big night out I had (without tracking) and just as it was starting to lower again, I had another night out (with tracking) that saw the next weigh-in jump up again. It looks like my body takes a good 5 - 6 days to lose the gains from a big night.

I'm not sure what to do now. Stick to 2600 for another week, and see how that affects the scale? Or drop back to 2500 and see how that goes? I think I'm overshooting my TDEE on 2600, but the days of alcoholic indulgences have made it difficult to clarify that. So that makes me think another week on 2600 would be helpful. And if it is higher than my TDEE, am I right in thinking that the scale should gradually increase over the week?

I don't have plans for the weekend, so I should have a more accurate result over the week. And it is getting closer to Xmas so maybe I should take the opportunity to really nail my TDEE as high as possible before the silly season interferes with my stats gathering exercise? Like everyone going through this, I don't want my weight to increase too much with this process. It's so high as it is - it's over 200lb, which is so heavy for a shorty like me. No wonder I feel like an oompah loompah!

So, wise women of the scales, what should I aim for next week - 2500 or 2600?? I await your advice!

Thanks muchly
11-11-2016, 04:28 AM
(11-11-2016 04:08 AM)zanyzana66 Wrote:  Alrighty, time for my next update!

If it worked, I've just attached my first month of weigh-ins on Happy Scale. As you can see, the weight has steadily increased, primarily since I increased my calorie goal to 2600. It has been squewed by the big night out I had (without tracking) and just as it was starting to lower again, I had another night out (with tracking) that saw the next weigh-in jump up again. It looks like my body takes a good 5 - 6 days to lose the gains from a big night.

I'm not sure what to do now. Stick to 2600 for another week, and see how that affects the scale? Or drop back to 2500 and see how that goes? I think I'm overshooting my TDEE on 2600, but the days of alcoholic indulgences have made it difficult to clarify that. So that makes me think another week on 2600 would be helpful. And if it is higher than my TDEE, am I right in thinking that the scale should gradually increase over the week?

I don't have plans for the weekend, so I should have a more accurate result over the week. And it is getting closer to Xmas so maybe I should take the opportunity to really nail my TDEE as high as possible before the silly season interferes with my stats gathering exercise? Like everyone going through this, I don't want my weight to increase too much with this process. It's so high as it is - it's over 200lb, which is so heavy for a shorty like me. No wonder I feel like an oompah loompah!

So, wise women of the scales, what should I aim for next week - 2500 or 2600?? I await your advice!

Thanks muchly

Quick question what was your calorie intake where the line is pretty flat between the green section and the red section? Did you make a big jump in calories when it started going red? Off to read back to see what your history is as I can't remember .........
11-11-2016, 04:43 AM
(10-30-2016 08:33 PM)zanyzana66 Wrote:  I remember that I was up to 91.8kg (or something huge like that) this morning, but I'm hoping this is related to lack of sleep, excess of partying, sodium intake over the weekend etc. I was keeping to the range between 89 and 91 other days though.

My stats over the last week of trying to hit 2500 calories and 130g+ protein (although the 30% would make my goal 188g, which still seems excessive to me):
Calories ingested range between 2343 and 2717, with an average of 2485
TDEE on Vivosmart HR ranges from 1839 and 2091, average of 1986
Protein consumption ranges from 106g to 153g, average of 112...

If I was you i'd do one more week at 2600 without the weekend indulgences just to see whats happening. If over the next week the line holds steady or even drops back to be in line with the first red bump then I'd stick with 2600. If it doesn't and still continues to increase then I'd consider dropping back.
11-11-2016, 08:25 AM
[/quote]

If I was you i'd do one more week at 2600 without the weekend indulgences just to see whats happening. If over the next week the line holds steady or even drops back to be in line with the first red bump then I'd stick with 2600. If it doesn't and still continues to increase then I'd consider dropping back.
[/quote]

Thanks West. I think before the red bump I was aiming for 2500 per day.

It's just a normal boring weekend ahead, so I can get a more accurate picture of how my body responds to this level of cals. Damn my social life messing up my scientific experiment!

Cheers
11-11-2016, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 01:29 PM by hannah77.)
I agree with West, stick to AT LEAST one more week at 2600. You shouldn't make any decisions from data in an off week, too many variables could be impacting the scale. Since you started trending down and then had another night out, I would suspect that it is just taking your body longer to stabilize. As we get closer to TDEE, it can take 4-6 weeks between scale stabilizations and calorie changes so it requires another mental shift to go from weekly decisions to monthly decisions. This has been challenging for me as I was used to upping my calories and stabilizing on the scale within a 7 day period...as I got closer to TDEE, it was sticking at a calorie level for 4-6 weeks. I stuck at 2700 for a month and saw that slow, steady increase from 185ish to 187.5ish. But, I know that I know that I know, without a doubt that I had exceeded. I think you really need that assurance going into cut phases as the cut number is determined off the TDEE. If over TDEE, that should reflect in small, steady increases over the period of several weeks. That's hard too, but we should be talking couple tenth of a pound (or kilo).

If you are still seeing a slight trend (if you see a big bounce, may be water weight), then I wouldn't necessarily drop back to 2500...you want to keep as many calories as you can...so maybe 2575 or 2550 and see how it goes.

The more you can keep things constant right now, the easier it will be to analyze your "scientific experience."
11-11-2016, 09:14 PM
(11-11-2016 01:27 PM)hannah77 Wrote:  I agree with West, stick to AT LEAST one more week at 2600. You shouldn't make any decisions from data in an off week, too many variables could be impacting the scale. Since you started trending down and then had another night out, I would suspect that it is just taking your body longer to stabilize. As we get closer to TDEE, it can take 4-6 weeks between scale stabilizations and calorie changes so it requires another mental shift to go from weekly decisions to monthly decisions. This has been challenging for me as I was used to upping my calories and stabilizing on the scale within a 7 day period...as I got closer to TDEE, it was sticking at a calorie level for 4-6 weeks. I stuck at 2700 for a month and saw that slow, steady increase from 185ish to 187.5ish. But, I know that I know that I know, without a doubt that I had exceeded. I think you really need that assurance going into cut phases as the cut number is determined off the TDEE. If over TDEE, that should reflect in small, steady increases over the period of several weeks. That's hard too, but we should be talking couple tenth of a pound (or kilo).

If you are still seeing a slight trend (if you see a big bounce, may be water weight), then I wouldn't necessarily drop back to 2500...you want to keep as many calories as you can...so maybe 2575 or 2550 and see how it goes.

The more you can keep things constant right now, the easier it will be to analyze your "scientific experience."

Thanks Hannah,

I've read both your journal and West's, so I appreciate that you both know the process, and also the difficult emotions involved in this. Gosh it's hard to stay set on the course. I'm so impulsive and am working really hard to breathe through the impulse to dump this method and run back to restriction.

I will continue to eat 2600 this week and see what happens. And I'll be back in a week or so for more advice / support.

I am loving this forum and this group - it is consistently respectful and supportive, regardless of the site -Facebook, MFP or here. I really appreciate the people, the philosophy and culture of the group.
11-12-2016, 11:11 PM
West and Hanna gave you excellent advice. Hang in there a little longer!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
11-13-2016, 12:07 AM
(11-12-2016 11:11 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  West and Hanna gave you excellent advice. Hang in there a little longer!

Thanks. I'm trying! I'm actually finding that I'm not hungry enough for that many calories this weekend. I'm trying to increase or keep my calories higher, but the last couple of days have struggled. Yesterday I was full on 2040 calories (not even a lot of veggies in there, which is unusual for me) and the day before I got to about 2350. It seems that on the weekends I'm either partying and my calories come from drinking or I'm just not very hungry. I often sleep in, which leaves less time in the day for eating. This morning I woke up hungry, ate a big cooked breakfast (bacon, eggs, halloumi and avo on toast), which has filled me up for most of the day.

Hopefully I'll be my usual hungry self during the working week to balance it out!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fueling Life Jules 82 8,155 09-18-2017 09:42 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
Information LIFE... is my style! Let's do this!!! Saggy76 47 8,149 03-29-2016 10:16 AM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Raynn's Journey to a Healthier Life Raynn 18 12,243 07-17-2013 03:08 PM
Last Post: Kiki