Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Improving my quality of life...
05-12-2017, 11:02 PM
RE: Improving my quality of life...
How is your cut going? I find it hard to eat the same each day - consistency has never been my thing either! But sometimes I amaze myself and manage to spend a few weeks being consistent at something. Hope you are having one of those times now too! :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Hey Fiona

Thanks for checking in on me, I was thinking of doing a weekly review and you've prompted me to actually do it!

The cut is going ok-ish! I haven't lost any weight / cm, but I don't think I've increased either (although I did have a blowout in my jean's zipper the other day!). I had a weekend away with friend's last week, so chilled instead of focusing on the cut. We've never had a girls weekend, and I certainly wasn't going to spoil it by counting or micromanaging my food. I'm sure I was low in protein, probably high in calories, but we walked heaps, laughed lots, drank a bit and enjoyed ourselves immensely! We saw Judith Lucy and Denise Scott in Disappoinments in Sydney. It was perfect for us middle-aged women!

I've been struggling to get to the gym, but conned myself into going after work last night (Friday). I told myself to just do one round, but ended up doing all 3. I find it hard to take the first step inside, but am usually glad I did once I get going. I've been absolutely shocking at walking my dog. Luckily for her the next door neighbour takes her out on a run most days, but I need the walk too. It's just so old in the mornings now and I love my snuggly bed. I think my protein average has increased since my first week of cut (other than last weekend), and my daily average hovers around the 2200 I'm aiming for (a bit more today and yesterday). I'm trying to reflect and learn along the way. I use a bujo (bullet journal - open ended journaling style) and have been recording feelings etc. nothing huge has stood out yet, but maybe one day?!

What phase are you in? Have you found our TDEE?

Well, it's bedtime for me. I hope anyone who reads this has a great weekend x
05-14-2017, 09:37 PM
It is great that you are enjoying your friends - and life :-) sounds like a fun weekend.

It is hard to workout sometimes - I workout from home so that makes it a little easier but I still have to motivate myself some days. I read about an African marathoner who said if he didn't feel like running he would tell himself he would just run a km and then if he still didn't feel like it he would come back home. So I tell myself that I will just do the first one or two weights exercises and if it still isn't happening I will stop. I usually end up having a great workout. I have quit very few times - usually if I am not well. I do the same for my HIIT. I am fortunate in that I can workout during the day though - I used to get up early when I worked during the day but don't know how I would go doing that again.

I am not sure if I have found TDEE. I have had a few high cal weeks - I am certainly not restricting - but probably because I am too hungry to restrict at the moment. I am hoping it has been because I increased my weights not because of wacky hormones!

Maybe a weekly review would be helpful for you? I think it is helpful for others too. I know that I really like reading how everyone is going.

Have a fabulous week :-)
06-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Hi ladies
Wow, it feels like it's been a very full-on time since I last posted. I've been exhausted since my big weekend away, and have had lots of uni work to do, all combining to mess me up a bit!

I've finally finished the uni assessments, and think I should do ok with them. But, at worst, P's mean degrees! I've come down with a cold/flu thing as I submitted the final assessment - I'm all clogged up between my ears, back of the throat, nose. Yuk. I'm not surprised though, I've been sleeping badly, stressed, overwhelmed and generally blah for weeks.

I cut for a few weeks, weighed myself to find a small reduction, then got tangled up with numbers, life, stress and everything. I struggled on for another week or so, but as the assessments were near due, decided to flip back into Chill phase to reduce some stress. Unfortunately, I've been eating quite poorly, not enough veggies or protein... hence the lowered immunity and the snotty nose situation!

I was going to stay with chill phase, but might just reset / maintenance for a week before I have a couple of weeks of holidays. I want to make sure I'm getting enough protein and veggies. I've been starting off the day well, because routine breakfasts are the go, but losing protein from then on. So getting hungry, eating crap, yadayadayada!

I was keeping consistent with lifting / exercise until this last week, where I've missed out on 2 lifting sessions. Never mind, I'm actually proud that i was consistent before then. I noticed that I can now bench a weight for 11 reps that I used to only do for 5 reps. I'll take that strength gain!

Well, uni is over for this year, so I'm hoping to achieve a bit more physically between now and the end of the year. I'd like to consistently lift at least 3 times a week, Pilates once a week, walking about 3 or 4 times a week. I also want to cut some fat and hope to get under 90kg by the end of the year. It's only 3-4 kg away, so it should be do-able.

Also, over the next few months, I need to find a decent surgeon and decide whether or not to have a pair of knee replacements. It's a scary thought, a friend had one done and was in terrible pain for months... but I'm not able to do things I want to do because of my knees, and I'm too young to be missing out on life because of it....

Anyway, that's my quick catch-up. I hope everyone else is doing better than I have been! It looks like it's been pretty quiet in here for a while. Maybe it's the lull time of the year?

Catch you soon
Annette
07-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Time for another post. I ended my work semester just crawling through the days. The Black dog of depression had me by both ankles, so it was quite difficult to meet my work requirements. I did, a bit late, and with a few tears, but I'm just glad I got through it.

I've been in 2 weeks holidays, just hanging around at home. It's been great. I sleep-in like a teenager, then even though it's winter, the sun has been out so I've enjoyed walking my local beach with my dog. It's lifted the mood quite significantly.

I've been doing a chill phase, deciding day by day whether or not to track food. After a few days of not tracking, I found myself waking up at 4am STARVING, so have tracked to ensure I eat enough food / protein. I didn't wake up last night, so I was correct in my assessment.

I've been working out consistently for the holidays too, and have actually managed to go 4 days a week so far. I have a friend down to stay for a couple of days, but I'd still like to go to the gym... she might want to come too? It'll be nice to have someone around during the day and make myself do social things - it's time I ventured away from home!

I find out my official results from uni in a couple of days. I'm pretty sure I got an HD for one unit, and don't know about the other. I'm confident I passed though. That's all that is necessary...

I'm tossing over in my mind which phase to go into when I return to work. Cut? Bulk? Maintenance? Do I need to extend the reset now I'm doing more exercise? Any ideas?? I'd like to weigh less for my knees, build quad strength for my knees, not stress out over calories / macros for my head and get skinny in 2 weeks for my impatience!!
09-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Wow, it's been ages! I'm not sure where to start. Uni went well, I got 2 HDs. It increased my depression, however and I had to see a psychiatrist for a few months to get my anti-d's sorted out. I feel pretty good now, though - after doubling my medication. Oh well, better to take it than feel like poo for weeks on end. I've started a new semester of students (my teaching job) and they are really nice. No uni this semester as the subjects I have left are only first semester ones. It's finally warming up over here, and I'm so much happier - winter and I don't gel. Life's pretty good.

I'm trying to cut again. I'm struggling though. I just like food and alcohol. 4 drinks tonight and a surprise homemade pizza means I'm over my daily calorie goal by about 1000! I'm so not good at deprivation. How I ever stuck to WW for 18 months, I do not know! I've been trying to get to the gym 3-4 times a week, but that's been a struggle too. I think 2-3 is more realistic for me. I just like to blob in front of the telly. What can I say, I'm lazy! I have been really consistent with my weekly Pilates class. She reckons I'm a natural. I dunno why, but I like to hear that I'm good at something physical! I think it's the only time I actually feel centred in my body - usually my body just carries me around, but I'm not conscious of it. I'm very cerebral.

Regardless of cutting or joy, I've stayed the same basic weight all year, since I found my TDEE. I'd love to drop a few kg so I was under 90kg, but it's pretty cool that I've maintained all year. Hopefully I have more muscle now than earlier in the year... I should take pics again, but I find taking them so tedious.

That'll do for now. Hope your all well. See you on Facebook if you join there - I'm always online!

Ciao xx
09-08-2017, 07:50 PM
(09-08-2017 09:47 AM)zanyzana66 Wrote:  Wow, it's been ages! I'm not sure where to start. Uni went well, I got 2 HDs. It increased my depression, however and I had to see a psychiatrist for a few months to get my anti-d's sorted out. I feel pretty good now, though - after doubling my medication. Oh well, better to take it than feel like poo for weeks on end. I've started a new semester of students (my teaching job) and they are really nice. No uni this semester as the subjects I have left are only first semester ones. It's finally warming up over here, and I'm so much happier - winter and I don't gel. Life's pretty good.

I'm trying to cut again. I'm struggling though. I just like food and alcohol. 4 drinks tonight and a surprise homemade pizza means I'm over my daily calorie goal by about 1000! I'm so not good at deprivation. How I ever stuck to WW for 18 months, I do not know! I've been trying to get to the gym 3-4 times a week, but that's been a struggle too. I think 2-3 is more realistic for me. I just like to blob in front of the telly. What can I say, I'm lazy! I have been really consistent with my weekly Pilates class. She reckons I'm a natural. I dunno why, but I like to hear that I'm good at something physical! I think it's the only time I actually feel centred in my body - usually my body just carries me around, but I'm not conscious of it. I'm very cerebral.

Regardless of cutting or joy, I've stayed the same basic weight all year, since I found my TDEE. I'd love to drop a few kg so I was under 90kg, but it's pretty cool that I've maintained all year. Hopefully I have more muscle now than earlier in the year... I should take pics again, but I find taking them so tedious.

That'll do for now. Hope your all well. See you on Facebook if you join there - I'm always online!

Ciao xx

Fabulous update. I think you have done pretty well. Going to the gym 2-3 times a week is great and much better that no times at all. And to maintain the same weight while enjoying what you want to eat and drink must be reassuring. Probably a good thing you are resetting for so long because then when you do decide to cut it will work even better (in theory anyway).

So who knows what the next year will bring :-)

I am over on FB also but it seems a different type of forum - I like both FB and this forum for different reasons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fueling Life Jules 84 10,893 09-25-2017 08:03 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
Information LIFE... is my style! Let's do this!!! Saggy76 47 9,944 03-29-2016 10:16 AM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Raynn's Journey to a Healthier Life Raynn 18 13,174 07-17-2013 03:08 PM
Last Post: Kiki