Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Finally Teachertoo's journal
11-19-2016, 11:24 AM
RE: Finally Teachertoo's journal
(11-16-2016 06:07 PM)hannah77 Wrote:  Ignore the calendar and confirm your TDEE the first time around instead of rushing it and ending up right back at the same point six months from now. Really, when you think about it, what is so special about January or any other month? Our body doesn't care, it will take its own sweet time healing and the stress of worrying about an arbitrary date could actually set you back. I can empathize...this journey is a challenge, but one we can all meet.

I would stay at 2300 for the next month, but post an update each week and let us know what your weight and the trend apps are indicating as it is possible that some adjustment (up or down) might be indicated.

I am a Type AAAA, melancholy, perfectionist, control freak as well....nothing wrong with it, we just need to recognize we actually are not in control and learn to relax.

Hi! I'm a teacher too! Hannah has some great advice here that I just have to agree with. I love the part about ignoring the calendar. The time is self-imposed. Our body will do as it needs, regardless of what month it is.

I understand, we all want to see changes happen quickly. But life has a way of short circuiting that sometimes. We can't always control it, we can just keep taking the necessary steps! You can do this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2016, 01:46 PM
(11-16-2016 06:07 PM)hannah77 Wrote:  Ignore the calendar and confirm your TDEE the first time around instead of rushing it and ending up right back at the same point six months from now. Really, when you think about it, what is so special about January or any other month? Our body doesn't care, it will take its own sweet time healing and the stress of worrying about an arbitrary date could actually set you back. I can empathize...this journey is a challenge, but one we can all meet.

I would stay at 2300 for the next month, but post an update each week and let us know what your weight and the trend apps are indicating as it is possible that some adjustment (up or down) might be indicated.

I am a Type AAAA, melancholy, perfectionist, control freak as well....nothing wrong with it, we just need to recognize we actually are not in control and learn to relax.

Hi everyone! Ok....so I have been using my food scale for EVERYTHING since 11/14/16. I have stayed at 2300 calories with a range of only 50 calories one way or the other (which is a big improvement from my range before ;-) ).

Monday 11/14/16 2330 weight (did not weigh...forgot..and it was the day before my monthly cycle began)

Tuesday 11/15/16 2287 weight 177.0

Wednesday 11/16/16 2320 weight 176.0

Thursday 11/17/16 2258 weight 174.6

Friday 11/18/16 2325 weight 175.2

Saturday 11/19/16 2250 weight 174.6

Sunday 11/20/16 2330 weight 176.6

Monday 11/21/16 2276 weight 175.4

Today's weight: 175.0

I know it looks like I lost 2 lbs this week....but I think I had been retaining water for my monthly cycle or something.

According to Happy Scale....I have gained 1 lb in November. (I started the month at 176.0 lbs....I got up to around 179 before my cycle and before getting my food scale.)

....I gained 2.2 lbs in October. I started the month of October at 175.0 lbs. And ended (before Halloween haha) at 174.8.

It would seem to me that eating at 2300 is maintaining my weight...but I know it is too early to tell.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

I can't upload my Happy Scale info because I have the free edition of the app and I don't want to buy another one. ;-)
11-22-2016, 05:11 PM
The good news, is it doesn't look like you have gained. Since you seem a bit tentative and have attributed the weight loss to coming off your cycle, I would go ahead and set a goal to at least maintain 2300 this week. Nothing in your numbers this past week indicates any adjustment yet. With it being Thanksgiving, not really the week to be making any changes anyway as you find you exceed 2300 or your macros might be a bit out of line. If things remain stable, I would say around 12 Dec, you may want to test a bump-up to 2350...but let's get through the next few weeks first. One of the important things about sticking to a calorie level for a month is that you can gauge your fluctuations based on your cycle so you don't freak out and blame the possible water retention in that 7-10 days on your calorie level.

Again, maintaining at 2300 does not necessarily mean you have hit TDEE...but you are getting closer!

Hopefully, you are feeling pretty good about how things are going compared to a couple weeks ago?
11-27-2016, 08:12 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all had a nice holiday! Mine was great! I struggled a little with eating on Thanksgiving...not because I ate too much. But because I didn't eat ENOUGH!! I hosted at my house and I was cooking all morning. I didn't eat breakfast or lunch (I know...shame on me ;-)) and didn't eat anything until 3 pm. I didn't weigh my food for the first time in like 2 weeks. So I really have no idea how much or how little I ate. (Only my rough estimates...but I didn't worry about it too much.) So, the next two days I was FAMISHED! I was holding at about 175 lbs all week. Then 2 days after Thanksgiving I jumped up to 177. Today I was 176.6. I am trying to get all my calories (2300) each day and stick to my macros....but it is hard! I REALLY struggle with getting 200 g of protein in without eating dairy. Does anyone know how I can get more protein in without dairy?? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! :-)
11-27-2016, 11:14 PM
(11-27-2016 08:12 PM)teachertoo Wrote:  Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all had a nice holiday! Mine was great! I struggled a little with eating on Thanksgiving...not because I ate too much. But because I didn't eat ENOUGH!! I hosted at my house and I was cooking all morning. I didn't eat breakfast or lunch (I know...shame on me ;-)) and didn't eat anything until 3 pm. I didn't weigh my food for the first time in like 2 weeks. So I really have no idea how much or how little I ate. (Only my rough estimates...but I didn't worry about it too much.) So, the next two days I was FAMISHED! I was holding at about 175 lbs all week. Then 2 days after Thanksgiving I jumped up to 177. Today I was 176.6. I am trying to get all my calories (2300) each day and stick to my macros....but it is hard! I REALLY struggle with getting 200 g of protein in without eating dairy. Does anyone know how I can get more protein in without dairy?? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! :-)

Are you on MFP? Ichel (empressichel on MFP) is vegan and hits high protein counts each day without eating meat, dairy or any animal product. She's really helpful and could share some tips with you. She also has an open diary, so you can check out what she's eating.

I struggle to get my protein up, but am gradually improving. I add things like small cans of legumes to my salads, chomp on nuts as snacks, have BIGGER portions of meat (I'm not vegan or remotely vegetarian!!) and have finally found a protein powder that doesn't make me uncomfortable. It's from eggs, so no whey, which I found made me bloat, and no truvia/stevia/saccharine etc that acted like a laxative... Do you like tofu? I can't stand it, but it would be an option. I also buy cooked bbq chicken and have a in the fridge for when I just want a bit of a snack. I boil eggs for salads too...

What have you been eating for protein so far?
12-18-2016, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone,

Quick check in and asking for advice/next steps. I have been faithfully weighing my food and sticking to 2300 cals a day since November 15th. According to Happy Scale, my weight has gone up .6 lbs in 17 days of December. It went up 1.1 lbs in the 30 days of November. But....I weighed 177 on November 15th (start of my monthly cycle also) and today (12/17) I am 175.8. What does this mean? Any suggestions on next steps? Happy Scale is still showing an upward trend in my weight, but I see the scale as being relatively steady. I was eating 2400 and 2500 back in Sept and Oct and gaining weight more rapidly. What would the harm be if I reset here at 2300? What if that's not my true exact TDEE but its close. What are the reasons I want to keep pushing it up?

Thank you so much! :-)
12-18-2016, 12:47 PM
(12-18-2016 02:08 AM)teachertoo Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Quick check in and asking for advice/next steps. I have been faithfully weighing my food and sticking to 2300 cals a day since November 15th. According to Happy Scale, my weight has gone up .6 lbs in 17 days of December. It went up 1.1 lbs in the 30 days of November. But....I weighed 177 on November 15th (start of my monthly cycle also) and today (12/17) I am 175.8. What does this mean? Any suggestions on next steps? Happy Scale is still showing an upward trend in my weight, but I see the scale as being relatively steady. I was eating 2400 and 2500 back in Sept and Oct and gaining weight more rapidly. What would the harm be if I reset here at 2300? What if that's not my true exact TDEE but its close. What are the reasons I want to keep pushing it up?

Good job in sticking close to your calorie goal!

Looking back at your November numbers, it does seem like your weight is pretty stable. Were you near 175 the past week or so? That would be "stable" to me, or even within 1-2 pounds of that.

I think for the reset, the idea is to eat at or above your TDEE, and to not go below it. So if you think 2300 is about right, and you know that the higher numbers are too high, then that might be the place for you.

BUT, I think the reason to keep pushing higher is because we want to "confirm" we are in the right cal range. Maybe the last time you were at the higher numbers, your metabolism may not have caught up with the higher cals yet?

Or if you feel you were at the higher cals long enough to see the trend and you trust that it was too high, then . . . Congrats, you may have found your TDEE!
12-18-2016, 07:37 PM
(12-18-2016 12:47 PM)Frosty Wrote:  
(12-18-2016 02:08 AM)teachertoo Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Good job in sticking close to your calorie goal!

Looking back at your November numbers, it does seem like your weight is pretty stable. Were you near 175 the past week or so? That would be "stable" to me, or even within 1-2 pounds of that.

I think for the reset, the idea is to eat at or above your TDEE, and to not go below it. So if you think 2300 is about right, and you know that the higher numbers are too high, then that might be the place for you.

BUT, I think the reason to keep pushing higher is because we want to "confirm" we are in the right cal range. Maybe the last time you were at the higher numbers, your metabolism may not have caught up with the higher cals yet?

Or if you feel you were at the higher cals long enough to see the trend and you trust that it was too high, then . . . Congrats, you may have found your TDEE!

Hi Frosty,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Yes, my weight this week has been: 12/13 177.2, 12/15 176.6, 12/17 175.8. I don't know what I did the past couple of days, but my weight this morning (12/18) was 179! I'm thinking high sodium from the tri tip I had last night at a Christmas party.

I looked back at all of my data and calories goals. (Although I haven't been as exact as I have been since November15th, because November is when I finally got my food scale.) I was eating at 2500 for the month of September. Then I was at 2300 for one week of October, then 2400 for the other 3 weeks. I went to 2300 in November and I feel like that's when I finally stabilized and stopped gaining rapid weight. Happy Scale still indicates that I am gradually climbing though. I have an overall gain of 15.8 lbs. And a gain of .6 lbs in December.

I feel like this is maybe my TDEE but I am now sooooo confused. I went into this process thinking this was going to be so much easier and I would understand better what was happening. But....it hasn't been easy. I go up and down with my emotional state. I am feeling better about the gain since it has finally slowed down. I don't feel like I am going to have sudden jumps on the scale that don't go away (like I was having for the first few months.) That felt pretty out of control. Lately, I feel like everything has been much more manageable.

I have been eating over 2000 calories since June 26, 2016. I feel like my metabolism has sped up A LOT. I have been heavy lifting 3 times a week since July 18th, 2016. I count calories as faithfully as I can. This time of year it is getting a little harder with
different holiday events. I do notice that if I have cake a party, I don't have an immediate 5 lb weight gain the next day because of one "cheat" meal. Now, I maintain my weight, and sometimes the scale even drops after something that used to make me gain weight.

I have reintroduced the grains that I had previously cut out. I eat some quinoa, oats and some wheat. (I had previously removed all wheat from my diet.) I don't have an overly bloated feeling like I had before when starting this process.

I guess I just don't know when did/does reset begin. It is my hope that it started back in November. How do we really know? Am I the only one whose weight is not the exact same every day?? laughing

Thank you to any and everyone who takes time to help me out. I know I tend to ramble, so if you got through that, I am really grateful.
12-18-2016, 07:45 PM
Everyone's weight is not the same every day! And I've come to realise that our desire for it to remain the same is not in the natural realm. Of course it ebbs and flows, with our hormones, our water retention, our sleep or lack of it, eating more one day and less another, drinking alcohol etc. I've never weighed every day before, and I'm glad I have been now as it's making more sense to me because of seeing the waves.

I'm not sure when we can consider the reset to have started, but I know that Xmas and a
12-18-2016, 07:51 PM
Oops! All the parties around Xmas will affect everything! It's like a reset of the reset! I'm planning on returning to normality at the cal level I seem to be stabilising on now -2450 - and hope that remains the same and I will (fingers crossed) reset there. It's really hard at this time of year to calorie count and focus on protein etc etc. to save my sanity, I'm giving myself permission to go with the flow and stress-less. There's so many other stressful things at the moment!

Anyway, all the best - enjoy the holidays as best you can...
Annette

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adding a journal to help me in the aging.. never2late1952 5 5,207 04-23-2018 07:38 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Anjacina's Journal Anjacina 11 8,890 03-23-2018 08:10 AM
  Kelly's Journal kcmsmith0405 73 50,327 01-31-2018 02:21 PM
  Yasmine's Journal Yas2 99 77,714 12-30-2017 11:07 AM
  Maggie's Journal MaggieG123 326 217,401 12-04-2017 12:38 PM
Last Post: MaggieG123
  JT's Journal jturner2 12 19,881 09-03-2017 08:15 PM
  Finally working on gaining... LauCo77 684 573,279 02-25-2017 06:43 PM