Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Asking for your experience with my situation...
11-23-2016, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2016 05:04 PM by Shira.)
Shocked Asking for your experience with my situation...
Hello all wave

I'm currently facing a "situation" with my weight. I searched all the web for a solution, and thought that maybe maybe someone here might be able to explain what happened to me and how to solve it...

About myself and my situation: I'm 31 years old, and my height is 5' 2". In May 2016, my weight was 125.7 lb (I'm about this weight +/- 10lb all my life), and I joined Weight Watchers to lose a few pounds and look more fit. My Weight Watchers mentor told me my goal weight should be 117 pounds, which sounded good.

Weight Watchers (as most of you may know) ask you to count "points" instead of calories. But, basically, in the group I've joined, every Weight Watchers point = 50 calories (with the only exception that most low-calorie vegetables are not being counted and can be eaten as much as you'd like). Every week they take my weight at the group meeting.

My Weight Watchers mentor said I should reach my goal of 117 pounds, at 18 points per day (about 1000 calories). I asked my Weight Watchers mentor to do a very slow progress, because I didn't want to feel hungry. So, we started not with 18 points, rather with 21 points per day (in calories: 1050 calories + vegetables = ~1200 calories per day). Every time I've reached a plateau, the mentor reduced 1 or 0.5 points so I could keep losing weight.

In terms of sports, every week I did (still do) 4 days of walking (1-1.5 hours) and 1 day of resistance training (with rubber bands).

I've plotted my entire progress on this graph, from day 0 (May 5 2016) until this very day:

[Image: weight.jpg]

As you see in the plot, the process worked slow but well, and after 150 days, I was down to 18.5 points per day, and plateaued at 118.4 lb (I looked really good!). I was suppose now to drop to 18 points (about 1000 calories), and easily reach the goal of 117 pounds. BUT, then I had a very stressful two weeks (had to switch jobs) in which I've binged-ate all the way back to the starting weight (even a bit more). I never had such binge eating in my life, and regret this very much Sad.

After the 14 days of binge-eating, my weight returned to 126.8 lb. I asked my Weight Watcher mentor what to do, and she said go back to 18.5 points, and she said that by doing this, all the weight that I've added during my binge eating, will come off pretty quickly.

This didn't happen. What happened is that by returning to 18.5 points, some weight did come off, but I did not return to 118.4 lb (as I was before the binge) rather I've nearly plateaued at 122.1 lb (my weight yesterday).

My weight watchers mentor seems kind of helpless with how to help me reach my 117 lb goal. My binge-eating destroyed her plan for me to eat 18 points and reach 117 pounds. This will not happen now. In order to reach 117 pounds I will now need something like 16.5 points, which is way too low to keep for the long run (her words).

I don't understand, how could 14 days of binge-eating have such permanent bad results? can I somehow "turn the clock back" and make my body forget those 14 days of binge-eating? can anyone shed light of what is going on with me?

Thank you very very much!!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2016, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2016 06:15 PM by daphne67.)
RE: Asking for your experience with my situation...
I know the professionals will step in to answer your question shortly but the first thing is not to panic.

As you will learn here, our bodies do not like to be starved. Your "before" weight (which you have maintained for most of your adult life) is perfect. Obviously your body was humming along nicely until you decided to starve it with 1200 calories. That is a starvation diet, pure and simple.

When you suddenly started to refeed, your body was sent into panic mode...realizing that the "feast" might end any moment clinging onto every dear calorie.

As someone much older than you, I hope that you can start to understand that eating 1000, 1200, even 1500 calorie is not enough and that your body has a survival instinct. Deprived of calories, your metabolism shuts down. If you continue with WW, I can almost guarantee that you will wish you had your "before" weight to go back to in 10 years.

Can you really see yourself eating 1000-1200 calories for the rest of your life? That sounds like a hellish way to live...a sort of prison to endure. I hope you can come to understand that our bodies NEED 2000+ calories to thrive and to survive.

One other thing to remember -- there is no such thing as BINGE eating...it's called eating! Your brain and your organs need fat, protein and carbs to sustain your body. A binge is one way for the body to survive!
11-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Shira, Daphne is definitely into something ^^. I happen to believe that what you wanted wasn't a lower number on the scale, but for your body to look different, leaner and tighter. You are 31 and the news are that your body will not be the same as it was before, unless you change certain things.

Long ago, I tried the same 1200/1000 cals WW diet and lost the 5/10 lbs that were bithering me, looked good, was hungry, hangry and couldn't handle it anymore. Gained it ALL back and more, was completely demoralized, feeling like a failure. I'm glad I gave up on it, because that diet would never become a lifestyle and would never get me where I am now.

The weight you lost was mostly water, bone mass, muscle mass and some fat. Once you started eating again, you did not regain the same thing, you regained water and fat. Now, even if eating the 1000 would lead you to the same loss (which will not), you will notice that you won't look as good, you will be "squishier" and even bigger, even though lighter.

The truth is that toddlers need 1200 calories. Grown up people need way more than that to just exist, without factoring in any of our daily activities.

I would suggest you to check our calorie calculator so you can have an idea of the difference http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/ . Keep in mind that the BMR number is what you need if you were in a coma, just to keep breathing. Then You can evaluate your sport activity. Switching for more resistance band days and less walking days would be the way to go to build muscle and improve your metabolism.

Check out our free quick start guide as well: http://pin.it/EL5TRga

http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/ge...tart-guide

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
11-24-2016, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2016 07:08 PM by Shira.)
Hi daphne67
Quote:As you will learn here, our bodies do not like to be starved. Your "before" weight (which you have maintained for most of your adult life) is perfect. Obviously your body was humming along nicely until you decided to starve it with 1200 calories. That is a starvation diet, pure and simple.

My "before" weight might have been perfect, if it was composed of more muscle, and less fat. But it wasn't, I was carrying too much fat, and didn't look good like I used to. This is why I wanted to lose several pounds of fat.

You say that 1200 calories is a "starvation diet", but as you can see from the progress graph that I provided, the most weight I ever lost in one week (even at the beginning of the process) was never more the 1 lbs. 1lbs per week is considered a very very gradual decrease, nothing that even resemble starvation...

Quote:Can you really see yourself eating 1000-1200 calories for the rest of your life? That sounds like a hellish way to live...a sort of prison to endure. I hope you can come to understand that our bodies NEED 2000+ calories to thrive and to survive.

2000 calories per day? this is double of what I'm eating now! (and not losing weight anymore), if I will eat 2000 I will look like a tank! happy you need to remember that I'm a short girl, only 5' 2", so my metabolism can't be as high as taller girls....

Hi Tereza,

Quote:Shira, Daphne is definitely into something ^^. I happen to believe that what you wanted wasn't a lower number on the scale, but for your body to look different, leaner and tighter.

Agreed.

Quote:I would suggest you to check our calorie calculator so you can have an idea of the difference http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/ . Keep in mind that the BMR number is what you need if you were in a coma, just to keep breathing.

According to your calculator, my BMR is 1325, and my TDEE is 1822. But this is nuts. I currently eat about 1000 calories per day, and I've practically plateaued. If I will increase my calorie intake from 1000 to 1822, I fear that I will very soon look like a tank! happy

Quote:Switching for more resistance band days and less walking days would be the way to go to build muscle and improve your metabolism.
I kind of question my ability to gain a considerable amount of muscle on my own, using those rubber bands...
11-25-2016, 04:56 AM
This is an overview of Eat More 2 Weigh Less, which is the focus of this site. https://youtu.be/2VUSkg8JTUk

The points you make about eating your TDEE are ones that we've all had before taking on board the EM2WL approach. What you are doing now is starving your body. Your body will be taking the energy it needs to run from somewhere, and since you're not even giving it enough to keep you alive if you were in a coma (that's what BMR means), it will be taking the energy from your muscles (including your heart) and slowing down some vital processes. Your period may stop if you continue on that calorie range, your hair could become brittle etc... it's just not healthy!

I hope you find what you're looking for, but no one on this site will encourage you to eat as low as you are now. You will consistently be advised to increase your calories! It's what EM2WL means!
11-25-2016, 12:51 PM
You are 'talking' like I did before I found these wonderful folks...I was eating 1200 calories because I thought eating a
starvation diet was how a person lost weight.
PLEASE PLEASE listen to the advice on this site!!! (and the myriad of other places they're available!)
I spent 2.5 YEARS eating 1200 calories or less and then BEGAN TO GAIN WEIGHT!
It's a long story and not very exciting--just let me say that I'm eating real honest to
goodness food and about 2200 calories of it. My weight has stabilized and is now
in a downward trend...not fast...but that's ok.

Read the Quick Start Guide....these gals are RIGHT...
11-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Ispimwool (I love your user name), yest that exactly how it goes. Hey, we have memebrs who were gaining eating less than 1000 after awhile! We would love to hear your story, why don't you start a journal in the journaling session!

Zany, you came a long way! All of us got here because we got tired of not eating and not getting anywhere. This is the place to be for life, no gimmicks, no cleanses, crazy powders or products to buy. It can be done for life. We are not getting younger and time is passing anyway.

That said, as crazy as you think 1800 cals is, it's possibly close to the truth. Once you build more muscle, it will increase as well. There are plenty of bodyweight and band workouts that can gve you a big burn and help with building muscle. It will depend on the intensity and variation of the workout.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
11-25-2016, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2016 01:43 PM by daphne67.)
My heart goes out to you, Shira.

It's so unfortunate that WW creates this cycle of binge/starvation. I hope that you will stay here long enough to question the "starvation diet".

I know this isn't a pleasant image but I did some research and discovered that prisoners in Nazi camps (during World War II) were fed about 1200 calories a day. About the same as a WW diet. Sad but true.

"In the morning the prisoners received only a half litre of black coffee or of a herbal brew known as tea. These liquids were generally unsweetened.

The midday meal consisted of one portion of soup measuring about three quarters of a litre, with a value of 350 –400 calories. The soup was foul tasting and watery, with ‘meat’ four times a week and the rest with vegetables.

For supper the prisoners were given about 300 grams of bread and something extra in the shape of about 25 grams of sausage or margarine, or a spoonful of jam or cheese. The food value of supper came to about 900 – 1000 calories

Given such hunger rations most prisoners after a few weeks in the camp began to develop symptoms of exhaustion, which led in consequence to people being reduced to the state of ‘Moslems’.

Thousands of starved prisoners in the last stages of emaciation strove at every opportunity to get something to eat, unable to restrain themselves from rummaging in the refuse bins outside the kitchens.

The eating of raw peelings and rotting cabbage, turnip or potatoes instead of appeasing hunger pangs, brought on hunger-induced dysentery..."

Oh, and I speak from experience. Like too many other women, I did the WW route. It practically destroyed my sprit and my metabolism. Do you really want to live like a prisoner of war for the rest of your life? Before you go back to WW, spend some time here and discover stories of other women who have healed their metabolism and have lost weight or have stabilized their weight.

Best luck to you!
11-26-2016, 09:53 AM
I've reached a dead end with WW. I eat 18.5 points which is really low, I don't lose weight anymore, and I still have several pounds of fat to lose. WW doesn't have solutions to a person in my situation... Eating even less is not an option for me.

It really seems like I need a metabolic reset, but I have a few questions...

1. Is it better to increase 50 calories at a time and not 100, if I want to minimize weight gain? Or is 100 small enough increase?

2. I currently do 1 time a week resistance training with rubber bands, but want to switch to 2 times per week with personal trainer with real weights. Is it important to start weight training at the beginning of metabolic reset, or should I wait after I'm at TDEE?

3. I currently walk 4 times per week for 1 hour each time. How much should I walk during the reset? Is there any benefit to walking for the purpose of metabolic reset?

4. When I count points during WW, I did not count low-calorie vegetables (cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, etc.), and eat quite a lot of these each day, to fight hunger. Do I need to start and count calories of these low-calorie vegetables with eatmore2weighless?
11-26-2016, 10:02 AM
And another question :

I'm 5' 2", currently weigh 122 lbs, currently eat about 1100 calories, and don't lose weight. How much weight, worst case scenario, will I gain during a metabolic reset?