Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Asking for your experience with my situation...
11-26-2016, 01:57 PM
RE: Asking for your experience with my situation...
Quote:I've reached a dead end with WW.

That's wonderful news!!!

You're so lucky that you're so young and can conquer this problem with decades ahead of you free of low-calorie eating.

I'm sure the pros will step in shortly...my advice is to take baby steps.

Add 100 calories until you feel comfortable to add in more. That should be easy! As for low-cal vegetables, I wouldn't start counting their calories in your reset. That extra 100 calories should come from real food...like fat or protein.

As for walking...if you enjoy it continue, however, if you've been doing it to "lose weight", you might consider cutting down. How about walking 30 minutes per session? Or cutting down to 2x a week.

As for the personal trainer, that's a good idea but make sure they are not pushing their own agenda - supplements, low calorie diets, low carb, or any other counterproductive diet plan.

As we are heading into the holiday season, why not continue with your band work until the middle of January or so. In the big scheme of things, it can wait a few weeks.

As for weight gain, I would guess that your body enjoyed being at 126 pounds. Given you haven't starved yourself for too long...maybe your body will settle back at that number. Remember...126 pounds is not overweight, even given your height.

Best of luck to you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2016, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2016 07:05 PM by Shira.)
Thanks so much for all the answers, daphne67 lovestruck

Quote:As for low-cal vegetables, I wouldn't start counting their calories in your reset. That extra 100 calories should come from real food...like fat or protein.

I did a rough calculation regarding the amount of calories I'm getting just from low-calorie vegetables on weekdays, and I got something around 200-300 calories per day (yes, I eat quite a lot). So you're saying I should not count it? but then won't I overshoot my TDEE by those 200-300 calories? this is not an insignificant number...

Quote:As for walking...if you enjoy it continue, however, if you've been doing it to "lose weight", you might consider cutting down. How about walking 30 minutes per session? Or cutting down to 2x a week.

I think I will cut it to 2x a week.

Quote:As we are heading into the holiday season, why not continue with your band work until the middle of January or so. In the big scheme of things, it can wait a few weeks.

I think it was Kiki who said that she recommends treating the metabolic reset period as "bulk" period, and try to lift heavy, this way some of the gain will be muscle, and not just fat... on the other hand, I fear that I eat so few calories now, that trying to lift heavy (real heavy weights with a personal trainer) before I significantly increase my calories, might result in an injury...

Quote:As for weight gain, I would guess that your body enjoyed being at 126 pounds. Given you haven't starved yourself for too long...maybe your body will settle back at that number. Remember...126 pounds is not overweight, even given your height.

126 might not be overweight, but my body has changed. 4 years ago I was about 136 pounds (without doing any type of diet), and looked better than I look today at 121 pounds. I did a big diet 4 years ago (biggest in my life), that took me in 6 months from 136 to 114, I looked phenomenal at 114, but fear I lost a huge amount of muscle (since I did no resistance training in that period). After reaching 114, I slowly gained weight to 126 and looked really bloated (I think I gained just fat), and then I did my last diet that took me to 118 (and I think I lost more muscle) and now I'm at 121 (gained just fat again). To conclude, my body has changed its composition, in the last 4 years I lost tons of muscle during the diets I did. This is why 126 might sound OK for 5' 2", but because my body changed its composition, I look bloated even now at 121.... can't imagine how I will look at 126 (or 136, god forbid) if I gain just fat... on the other hand, I know I really don't have much choice now, I must regain my normal metabolism if I want to ever look good again...

This leads me to another question:
I've purchased the starter kit and read the book. In the book, the metabolic reset is described in a very favorable way: you add 100 calories, and wait for a week or so until the scale shows the same weight as before the gain. You do this over and over again, increasing until normal TDEE (all the time not gaining weight), and then, when you overshoot the TDEE, you notice a small amount of weight that does not go down, and then you know you overshoot and need to scale back.

The above portrays the metabolic reset in a very favorable way, but is this a realistic portray? can I really realistically expect to add another 100 calories only after the weight on scale returns to what it was before the latest addition? I think if this was the case, then 99% of the people doing metabolic reset here would have never reached their calculated TDEE...

So the question is, how do I know when I've overshoot my TDEE, if I SHOULD expect weight gain during the metabolic reset process?

It seems to me that the REAL pathway to metabolic reset that people are expected to do, is reach their calculated TDEE, at all costs, no matter the amount of gain. And this scares me. It scares me because I fear I will find myself at 136 pounds like I was 4 years ago, only now I'll have much less muscle and much more fat, and will look horrible. This really really scares me Sad
11-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Put as much effort into your recovery as you did your diet.

It's not easy...but reread your post and you know the answer. Your dieting career has left you with less muscle mass, more fat and perhaps even less bone density.

But you have time on your side. Start now, embrace the process and you will rebuild muscle, reduce fat and prevent any bone density loss.

Given that a cup of cabbage has 22 calories, a cup of romaine lettuce has 8 calories and cup of cucumber has 16 calories...you are eating a lot of vegetables! Much like the prisoners in Nazi camps would eat turnip scraps...you are overeating vegetables in an attempt to stave off hunger.

But you can be free! Make a salad, add a tablespoon of olive *yes, a full tablespoon and a drizzle of vinegar and you'll be amazed how satiated you will be. You don't need to eat like a Panda anymore (grazing all day long on leaves)...you can become a connoisseur and discover how delicious full-fat foods, meats and cheeses truly are.

But, of course, take baby steps. Your mindset change has been truly remarkable in the past few days. You know that dieting will only lead you down an unpleasant path where you will end up weighing far more than you are right now.

Add the 100 calories in stages and you will minimize weight gain...stay committed to your recovery...read as many of the success stories as you can on this site...avoid reading any success stories on WW.

I have personally known many women who have lost weight temporarily on WW, again and again and again. One of my friends is now over 60 and she is still chasing the WW success story. All she talks about is how many points are in something...and how she pigged out...and how she must behave. I know it's a morbid thought, but one day she will be dead and she will have missed out on her life.

I know I haven't answered all your questions, but I'm enjoying the dialogue. It's like talking to the 'dieting me' in the past.

Keep us posted.
11-27-2016, 11:00 AM
daphne67,

Do you know if there was ever any scientific experiment to check how "metabolic reset", as portrayed here, affect metabolism and weight?
11-27-2016, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 02:48 PM by daphne67.)
What I think you mean to ask is "can I guarantee this will work?"

I would suggest that you watch Kiki's many videos, found on Youtube - in essence, her entire career is dedicated to proving the metabolic reset does work.

There are several studies that do prove that low-calorie diets DON'T WORK, like this one: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evo...-your-mind

You have a choice, continue your journey on WW - knowing each time, you will lose more muscle mass and slow your metabolism or start a new life here where you will be set free.

Here's some lovely Sunday reading for you:
http://eatmore2weighless.com/ditch-1200-...et-kelsey/
11-27-2016, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 05:50 PM by Shira.)
I've been reading the personal journals section. Went through like 20-30 journals of different people.

I can't say I'm encouraged...

Regarding those who did metabolic reset, the majority of people gained weight, some of them gain a lot of weight. Everyone were very motivated that when the reset will finally be over, they will be able to cut and lose weight. Well? practically no one was able to significantly decrease weight after the cut. The cut doesn't work after the reset.

After reading many journals, I think I can safely say the following: trying to cut after the metabolic reset, works only for the minority.

If this thing does suppose to work for everyone, then I think we're talking about much larger time frames then most people assume. It seems to me you need to eat at TDEE for 1-2 years, while lifting heavy weights and gaining muscle. After 1-2 years, when your body finally really believe starvation period is gone, and you have several more pounds of muscle, then, maybe, the cut will provide the results.

The question is, how do you keep yourself motivated for 1-2 years? this process is a lot of hard work (counting calories, lifting heavy weights) and when you practically need to wait 1-2 years for real results, this will crush most people.... unless you really like lifting weights and getting bigger, I don't see how you can endure.
11-27-2016, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 06:01 PM by Shira.)
There must be another way. Something in between WW's 1000 calories starvation diet (that works immediately but only for the short run) and this EM2WL that practically take years of your life during which you just want to hide inside a deep and dark cave to avoid social interactions while you look so out of shape.

I mean, if someone is 200 pounds and starve with 1200 calories, they might say "the hell with it, what do I have to lose?". But if you are like me, only 3-4 pounds from being satisfied with how you look, how could it be that the only solution is to endure years of extreme weight gain and weightlifting, when all you've wanted is basically just lose those last 3-4 pounds?

Now, to be honest, it's not only those last 3-4 pounds... eating 1100 calories is not healthy for me, but this whole EM2WL process of losing my looks for years now, is simply depressing if that's my only hope... Sad
11-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Quote:The question is, how do you keep yourself motivated for 1-2 years? this process is a lot of hard work (counting calories, lifting heavy weights) and when you practically need to wait 1-2 years for real results, this will crush most people.... unless you really like lifting weights and getting bigger, I don't see how you can endure.

The point is, how do you keep yourself motivated? You're already counting calories (or points), waiting forever for results (that never come), and living in a cave (because you can't be social when you are living on a starvation diet).

Or, you can join the real world. Lifting weights are really quite optional...for now...and start eating.

I know it's a lot to take in...and you might not be ready for this.

You might have to starve/binge/lose muscle mass/gain fat/suffer/repeat for another decade. I can guarantee you...you will not weigh 126 in 2026...probably will weigh closer to 150 or 160 pounds given your current punishing regime.

The decision is yours.
11-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Shira, you just may not be ready for this type of change, and that's okay. I "tried out" EM2WL about a year and a half ago, and then reverted back to WW. What I found is that, no matter what, I was hungry all the time and not able to lose weight, no matter what I did. Now, I'm up to eating 2300 calories per day and maintaining my weight. Granted, it's not necessarily the weight I want to be maintaining, but (1) I am no longer hungry all the time, counting the hours and minutes to my next meal; (2) I am maintaining my weight, eating real food (not stuffing myself full of veggies and fruit for zero points) and living my life, and (3) I have been on severely restricted workouts, due to a tear in the plantar plate of my foot. I have been restricted and in a boot for almost 10 weeks already, absolutely no cardio allowed, only able to lift weights from a seated position, no weight bearing exercise at all. AND I'VE MAINTAINED MY WEIGHT ALL THIS TIME!!! I've even increased my calories during my restriction period from 2200 to 2300...scale is still holding steady. I "lost" 100 pounds on WW a few years ago, and the program worked flawlessly for me...until it didn't work any more and I put back 20 pounds and stayed at that level for YEARS, no matter what I did. I followed WW perfectly, ate my points...sometimes ignored WW and didn't count my points...exercised more...exercised less...it literally didn't matter what I did, my weight stayed the same. It became IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose weight...and then the hunger kicked in. I was hungry ALL THE TIME!!! So, for me, WW was NOT a "success" because if it was, I wouldn't have been looking for something else.

EM2WL
11-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Sorry, this is Part 2 of my post above...apparently I posted it by accident, and took too long editing it for the rest of the post to be published...

EM2WL is definitely a leap of faith...but I had truly hit rock bottom and needed to find another way. I started to look at the people around me, like my mother and my boyfried...neither of which eat "healthy" or work out like a maniac, like I was doing. Yet, neither of them consistently gained weight...because how they ate WAS WHAT THEIR BODY WAS USED TO!!! Lightbulb moment for me!!! My body was so used to eating little and exercising a lot that whenever I deviated from that, even the slightest little bit, I PUT ON WEIGHT! My mom and boyfriend certainly didn't have that happen to them. I started to realize that I needed to retrain my body to act more like theirs does...and that meant cutting back my ridiculous (unsustainable) exercise regimen and slowly starting to eat more.

And it's working. I ate what I wanted to on Thanksgiving, didn't feel deprived at all...and the scale was only up .4 pounds the next morning! I enjoy a salt bagel with cream cheese every Sunday morning...guilt free, and with NO impact on the scale. Yes, I am up a few pounds during the process...but the extra pounds came on during times of overindulgence, not from a normal weekly eating pattern. The overindulgences are few and far between these days, simply because I am always well-fed. well-nourished, and never feel deprived. I truly never thought this type of behavior around food could be possible for me...but it is. I'm living it. And loving it!

I truly hope that you will give this way of living a fair shot...it's been nothing short of life-changing for me. I know it can be for you, too.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.