Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Asking for your experience with my situation...
11-27-2016, 11:50 PM
RE: Asking for your experience with my situation...
Daphne is right about rereading what you said about your dieting career. you just described the whole process of how we end up damaging our metabolism. It's hard to explain how it goes to someone who never really dieted more than once, but you went through it and that's exactly how it happens over time. Add in some life changing situations and instead of having extra 4 pounds, you could easily have extra 50 lbs or more.

The weight gain that happens during a metabolism reset is actually the gain that one would eventually gain on the scale just by yo-yo dieting, restricting and bingeing. what causes the gain is not the reset, but the damage done by multiple very low calorie diets done in the past. what can be controlled during a reset is what kind of gain happens. By increasing protein intake and adding resistance training (body weight and or bands are great starters) we are doing all that we can for the gain to be in the form of lean mass (muscle, bone tissue, ligaments, tendons) that was lost during the past diets. that in itself will cause your body to look different and in many cases smaller, even though heavier.

Like Maggie said, maybe you are not ready. EM2WL does not offer a diet, a quick fix, something that you do for a while, quit, come back when you need. It actually is a lifestyle. I's a way of life that can free you from the old dieting mentality, improve your body and mind, allows you to live your life and spend time with loved ones without obsessing about calorie intake (unless when it is to make sure you eat all your calories), working out every morsel you eat or coming up with ways to make the scale to read a lower number. And if you are not ready, that's ok, because, honestly, I know how different this mindset is from all that we learned before.

Can a cut be successfully done after a reset? Of course! And the proof that it works is how bodybuilders get ready for competitions: the eat in a surplus (except that they surpass TDEE) while lifting to gain muscle mass (they gain so fat along, that's for sure) and then they cut (a deficit a little below TDEE) to lose the extra fat and reveal the muscle. That is done many times until the reach the chiseled look they have, men and women alike. Interesting that the biggest competitors are older, which shows how long it took for them to reach that look.

Often times, EM2WLers realize that they are not after a number on the scale anymore, but a certain look and shape. I am one of them. Years ago I wanted a certain number/clothes size that would bring me back to the way I looked years before. Well, that number changed and I ended up on a different scale number, but with measurements and a self confidence that I never imagined could exist. Thanksgiving was great, I enjoyed the foods I liked, spent time lounging and hanging out with my family, without one single thought that I needed to "pay" for the calories I ate.

I know your head is spinning right now and you have been reading the success/journey stories. I'd also recommend the interviews with former figure competitors: http://pin.it/Jcc4EB3
http://pin.it/lU1cOQG

Click through the pins to reach the full posts. There are other interviews and articles on our pinterest that may help you understand better the EM2WL movement.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Regarding the cut working for bodybuilders, yes it works, but it's a different story for them. They eat not even at their TDEE, rather above! Then, when they cut to below TDEE, of course they will lose like crazy. But after a EM2WL metabolic reset, the situation is completely different, not only that you don't eat above TDEE, most chances that your body still doesn't acknowledge the calories you eat as permanent TDEE. After the reset is over, it's like the body is telling you "yeah I will give you the benefit of the doubt that starvation is over for now, and I will stop gaining more fat, but, if you dare reducing your calories any time soon, I'm going to adapt downward so fast you wouldn't believe, just try me!".

It seems to me that the title eatmore2weighless is somewhat misleading. You will gain more weight by eating more, but eventually your measurements might be smaller (assuming weightlifting). It should be eatmore2measureless...
11-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Just a quick article, from outside EM2WL that says the same but in different words (well, not so different): http://www.myprotein.com/thezone/nutriti...filiateWin

This pin will lead you to one of our articles: http://pin.it/dhyGB5d

Team EM2WL
11-29-2016, 02:42 AM
Thanks Tereza for sharing.

I love the term "reverse dieting". I so wish that I could go back in time and do some of that in my previous life.

I apologize to Shira for highjacking her thread but here goes...when I read her posts, it has been like reading from my journal 25 years ago. The total belief that I could outwit my biology is mind boggling. That somehow I could have enough willpower to deny by body the nutrition that it deserved is laughable.

The body will always win. The body will always have it's way. Unfortunately Shira may not be ready to embrace eating more...but the decades will prove to be the winner. Over time, her body will rebel and will gain more body fat as she denies it the vital nutrients it deserves.

Shira is just one person lost in the battle. Thousands and thousands of other young women will follow in her path. How does anyone battle the strength of Oprah?

Shira, I hope you visit here often. I don't think you're ready yet for this approach but I wish you all the best.
11-29-2016, 08:25 PM
I just came across this journey story: http://eatmore2weighless.com/i-was-doing-it-all-wrong/
Here is a little teaser of a very familiar story to us (Rachael's):

"I jumped on the Weight Watchers bandwagon, lost some weight, and then onto the 1200 calories plunge. I initially lost weight, but then got totally stuck. I was barely eating anything, working my butt off at the gym, and still nothing was changing. I was tired, unhappy, and just miserable. Then, I stumbled across the Eat More to Weigh Less board and had that AHA moment! I did my own research, talked to trainers, and found out I was doing it ALL WRONG."

And then she talks about her reset and what happened after. Needless to say the results are amazing!

Yes, maybe we should name it "2 measure less" or to be leaner, smaller, because after all, the number on the scale is just a number. Anyone who had food poisoning or a stomach bug in the past will confirm that the weigh loss the experience did not make them look fabulous or feel any better about themselves and that the scale jumped right back up after they got better. It's time to let go of the idea that we can only look good, feel good and happy while weighing as much as a teenager with certain genes, who eats certain foods and has a certain level of activity. Very unrealistic for grown-up women to weigh as much as kids.

To have the looks of a tighter butt, a flatter ab, a less flabby arm, you must eat more and strength train. Period.

"What got you here won't get you there." ~Kiki Smith

Team EM2WL
11-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Rachael's is an inspiring story. Thanks!

The ability to have lower body fat percentage, while not suppressing BMR/TDEE, is my goal.

A question that I have: after the reset, you maintain for a few weeks/months. Then, you start a cut. Let's assume that the cut works, and you lose the amount of fat the you wanted. What then? of course immediately after the cut, the metabolism will be suppressed again... how do you increase it to normal without losing the fat-loss from the cut?
11-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Then you will just look into your TDEE at that point (lets say you lost weight, it may vary a little depending on how much you lost, but it will never be as low as 1200) and stick to it, knowing that you can go higher or lower depending on your goals. When you do a cut like the one we propose (5 to 15% only), you will not suppress your metabolism, unless you do it for a very long time. One good idea that works is to have TDEE breaks once a month during a cut, just to remind your body of what TDEE is. West tells how she did in her story (click through the pin for the whole journey): http://pin.it/txuNthE

The whole idea of increasing the metabolism and teaching the body to burn at TDEE is to be able to enjoy life while looking the way we want. We don't need to eat like birds and exercise like hamsters on a wheel to look good, fit, thin or whatever our goal is. You can have the cake and eat it too, but it takes a whole change of mindset, patience and consistency.

BTW, I like sending pins instead of the link because then you can also check out other stories and articles in our boards.

Looks like your main goal is to lower body fat, right? Fat loss per se, will never show a loss on the scale as much as water and muscle loss. So when that's your goal, you should not focus on the scale numbers, but rather on the measuring tape, body fat composition, pictures and clothes. You probably seen home much bigger a pound of fat is compared to a pound of muscle.

Team EM2WL