Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Finding TDEE
11-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Finding TDEE
I started by punching in my numbers into the calculator and came up with around 2125 for maintenance if moderate, 2350 if strenuous and 2590 for increasing muscle.

I am 166cms, 49 and weigh around 66kgs. To be honest I don't know how much I weigh because I stopped weighing myself a few months ago. But I still fit into my clothes. (I usually fluctuate between 64-66 - occasionally going up to 67-68 but that is probably water weight.)

For a few years I have done 1 lower body and one upper body weights sessions (30-40 mins each) and 2 HIIT sessions a week.

But recently to shake things up I now do 2 lower body and 2 upper body weights sessions and 2 HIIT per week.

My husband and I sometimes walk after dinner during the week so I may walk 0-3hrs a week too.

I had been eating around 1950-2250. But I started having breakfast within an hour of waking (before exercising) and added 2 days of weights so my body is insisting on around 2400-2700 per day at the moment. I will stay around there and see what happens.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2016, 04:47 PM
RE: Finding TDEE
(11-28-2016 04:01 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  I started by punching in my numbers into the calculator and came up with around 2125 for maintenance if moderate, 2350 if strenuous and 2590 for increasing muscle.

I am 166cms, 49 and weigh around 66kgs. To be honest I don't know how much I weigh because I stopped weighing myself a few months ago. But I still fit into my clothes. (I usually fluctuate between 64-66 - occasionally going up to 67-68 but that is probably water weight.)

For a few years I have done 1 lower body and one upper body weights sessions (30-40 mins each) and 2 HIIT sessions a week.

But recently to shake things up I now do 2 lower body and 2 upper body weights sessions and 2 HIIT per week.

My husband and I sometimes walk after dinner during the week so I may walk 0-3hrs a week too.

I had been eating around 1950-2250. But I started having breakfast within an hour of waking (before exercising) and added 2 days of weights so my body is insisting on around 2400-2700 per day at the moment. I will stay around there and see what happens.

Hi Fiona,

I think the best thing to start off with would be to track consistently, aiming at 2400 or 2500 (or the higher end of the range if you like, but just choose a number!) and see what happens. You'll have to stay with that number for at least a week.

If you can do it without causing a melt-down, track your weight daily. I was adamant that I wouldn't /couldn't do it, but then changed my mind (inconsistent, remember!) and have followed its trends over the last 6 or so weeks. It's actually helped me to let go of the emotional reaction to the scale - I now see this whole approach as a science experiment, with ME as the study! I've gained, but not as much as I'd have expected for the number of calories I'm eating.

All the best,
Annette big grin
11-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Fiona, welcome and good to see you starting a journal!

You already got some miles ahead by doing strength training and listening to your hunger and feeding your body. If you didn't see size/measure increase on eating more, you can definitely bet that your body is reviving up and burning it how it should. You don't really have to rely on the scale, you can use measurements and pictures, they will tell a more complete story.

Changing your strength program frequently will ensure that your body is being challenged and keeps getting stronger and building lean mass. It's also a good idea to know what you want to accomplish specifically so you can adjust your steps towards your goals. If you haven't been yo-yo dieting, your reset will be shorter because you possibly are already eating close to your TDEE. Crunch the numbers on the calculator and go for it. This pin has tips on taking measurements: http://pin.it/WjCx-te. Click on it to go to the full article.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
11-29-2016, 03:47 AM
(11-28-2016 04:47 PM)zanyzana66 Wrote:  
(11-28-2016 04:01 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  I started by punching in my numbers into the calculator and came up with around 2125 for maintenance if moderate, 2350 if strenuous and 2590 for increasing muscle.

Hi Fiona,

I think the best thing to start off with would be to track consistently, aiming at 2400 or 2500 (or the higher end of the range if you like, but just choose a number!) and see what happens. You'll have to stay with that number for at least a week.

If you can do it without causing a melt-down, track your weight daily. I was adamant that I wouldn't /couldn't do it, but then changed my mind (inconsistent, remember!) and have followed its trends over the last 6 or so weeks. It's actually helped me to let go of the emotional reaction to the scale - I now see this whole approach as a science experiment, with ME as the study! I've gained, but not as much as I'd have expected for the number of calories I'm eating.

All the best,
Annette big grin

I agree :-) that is where I need work at being more consistent. If my body wants more it is pretty impossible for me to eat less because I just don't concentrate. But I will always try to get away with eating less if I am not as hungry - so it will be good for me to be more consistent in that area.

It is a great idea to use weighing on the scales it as just a science experiment. Just information or data collection to analyse later. I used to weigh myself every day and I got tired of feeling down if the scales didn't love me. But yes, it is so helpful to look back and analyse.
11-29-2016, 04:17 AM
(11-28-2016 07:34 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Fiona, welcome and good to see you starting a journal!

You already got some miles ahead by doing strength training and listening to your hunger and feeding your body. If you didn't see size/measure increase on eating more, you can definitely bet that your body is reviving up and burning it how it should. You don't really have to rely on the scale, you can use measurements and pictures, they will tell a more complete story.

Changing your strength program frequently will ensure that your body is being challenged and keeps getting stronger and building lean mass. It's also a good idea to know what you want to accomplish specifically so you can adjust your steps towards your goals. If you haven't been yo-yo dieting, your reset will be shorter because you possibly are already eating close to your TDEE. Crunch the numbers on the calculator and go for it. This pin has tips on taking measurements: http://pin.it/WjCx-te. Click on it to go to the full article.

Thank you Teresa, yes I am so thankful to have been introduced to weights when I was. I know it is one of the major reasons I have maintained a fairly stable weight.

I still fall prey to trying to eat less and have less protein at times. It is dotted all through my food diary over the years that I feel better eating more protein. But I still pendulum swing to not enough protein sometimes ... so stupid!!

I am fairly consistent now with eating. It is just if I am not hungry, which doesn't happen very much, it is easy for me to start to restrict. Though after doing all the reading I have been on EM2WL and reverse diet articles I am hopeful I will let go of my restriction mentality.

I am thinking I should be able to eat more and boost my metabolism because I still only eat the minimum of what my body will let me get away with - whether that is my "normal" 2100 - 2700 (or very occasionally as low as 1700 and high as 3200).

I think I need to change my weights program around more than I have been the last few years. I am starting to do that now though.

As well as adding the extra 2 weights sessions I also increased the weight slightly. So I am feeling a slight bit bigger - but am hoping that it is a bit of water weight.

I have never done a planned bulk/muscle increase (too scared of gaining weight).

I will try to find my TDEE first though.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.
Fiona
11-29-2016, 04:29 PM
I think restriction kicked in a bit last night. I ate really well all day (2300 cals by around 6:30pm) and felt pretty good but around 8:30 I started to feel a little hungry I sort of knew I probably should have had a snack but didn't and went to bed slightly hungry. I woke up at 3:30 hungry and I had read (I think Anitra) to have some protein if you wake up hungry so I had some chicken and went back to bed but still didn't go back to sleep. !!

Maybe with increasing the weights and adding the extra 2 sessions I will need to aim for 2500?? Why is it so scary??!!
11-29-2016, 04:53 PM
(11-29-2016 04:29 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  I think restriction kicked in a bit last night. I ate really well all day (2300 cals by around 6:30pm) and felt pretty good but around 8:30 I started to feel a little hungry I sort of knew I probably should have had a snack but didn't and went to bed slightly hungry. I woke up at 3:30 hungry and I had read (I think Anitra) to have some protein if you wake up hungry so I had some chicken and went back to bed but still didn't go back to sleep. !!

Maybe with increasing the weights and adding the extra 2 sessions I will need to aim for 2500?? Why is it so scary??!!

We've been trained to believe we have to eat like birds, and that any weight gain is evil, and that eating less is the only way to a long and beautiful life. Grrrrr.... because, of course, the only reason women exist is to bring pleasure to the male gaze. And a hungry woman is compliant. (geez, no one ever saw me hangry - I rip off heads!)...

Anyway, dig in and fight against the training. This process will probably expose or bring up deep seated fears and other emotions, but unless you face them, they will make life miserable.

But on the good side... MORE FOOD!!
11-29-2016, 04:59 PM
(11-29-2016 04:29 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  I think restriction kicked in a bit last night. I ate really well all day (2300 cals by around 6:30pm) and felt pretty good but around 8:30 I started to feel a little hungry I sort of knew I probably should have had a snack but didn't and went to bed slightly hungry. I woke up at 3:30 hungry and I had read (I think Anitra) to have some protein if you wake up hungry so I had some chicken and went back to bed but still didn't go back to sleep. !!

It's scary because we have been told our entire lives as women that eating less and less and less is the only way! Our brains are programmed as much as any cult follower's is. But, with time, you can break out of it...or at least recognize when it's happening so you can correct for it.

Thanks for your kind words on my page! Yes, we are coming at this from different directions, but focused on the same goal of lifetime health. Keep at it. With your level of activity and probably muscle mass I would bet your metabolism is higher than you think. If you've read my journal, you know that I may have misjudged how many calories I burned when when I did my initial reset and certainly have been undereating lately. Since you are at a good weight, you have the luxury of pushing those calories up and up and up. Even if you gain a few pounds when you hit the limit, those can come off easily because you'll know exactly how to do it. The interesting thing is, as you eat more, you'll probably gain more muscle, which will push your metabolism up, which will mean you need to eat more..... this could take a while, but think of all that fantastic muscle and fitness you'll gain along the way!

Do remember, however, that in this process, the scale is not your friend. Toss that puppy and rely on measurements, photos, and how your clothing fits, because the weight gain from muscle mass, extra food in your tummy, etc. will mess with your brain in a bad way.

Yay for more food!
11-30-2016, 04:43 PM
(11-29-2016 04:59 PM)Tipularia Wrote:  

It's scary because we have been told our entire lives as women that eating less and less and less is the only way! Our brains are programmed as much as any cult follower's is. But, with time, you can break out of it...or at least recognize when it's happening so you can correct for it.

Thanks for your kind words on my page! Yes, we are coming at this from different directions, but focused on the same goal of lifetime health. Keep at it. With your level of activity and probably muscle mass I would bet your metabolism is higher than you think. If you've read my journal, you know that I may have misjudged how many calories I burned when when I did my initial reset and certainly have been undereating lately. Since you are at a good weight, you have the luxury of pushing those calories up and up and up. Even if you gain a few pounds when you hit the limit, those can come off easily because you'll know exactly how to do it. The interesting thing is, as you eat more, you'll probably gain more muscle, which will push your metabolism up, which will mean you need to eat more..... this could take a while, but think of all that fantastic muscle and fitness you'll gain along the way!

Do remember, however, that in this process, the scale is not your friend. Toss that puppy and rely on measurements, photos, and how your clothing fits, because the weight gain from muscle mass, extra food in your tummy, etc. will mess with your brain in a bad way.

Yay for more food!

Thank you for the encouragement Tipularia :-) I am thinking I should be able to push the calories up also. Yes, I am so happy for you that you had the courage to increase yours and it paid off.
11-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Yesterday I had 2425 and felt good all day. I was energetic right until I went to bed and slept well.

Since starting to eat more I have just stopped drinking coffee. I have actually forgotten to have it!!?? I used to limit myself to one or two but I really looked forward to it. I have always been aware that I drank it for the buzz and energy it gave me. It didn't twig that the energy I needed was more food though!

Also I seem to need less sleep now. I used to feel less rested on 9hrs than I do on 7 hrs now. I am more active all day and can even do things in the evening rather than collapse in a chair and read. Is that normal as well? Maybe it is just transitory - it is early days yet. I am only around 10 days in.

Maybe 2400 is where I need to hang around for a few weeks until I stabilise there?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Finding Myself Again atuchofpink 12 3,207 10-12-2016 02:11 AM
Last Post: zanyzana66