Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Finding TDEE
12-06-2016, 08:11 PM
RE: Finding TDEE
Good idea on measurements. This article has a great way to do it, so you can keep track consistently: http://pin.it/jEFFwO1

On the hunger, after all those years, I still have days that I feel like I'm hungrier than a teenager during a growth spur!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Fiona, glad your hunger has subsided! I did some measurements of my own last night.

Tereza, that's interesting that you still get very hungry too sometimes! Do you think things like stress can make us hungrier?
12-06-2016, 11:44 PM
Usually I feel hungry on the day after a intense workout (not on the same day). Stress an or being tired makes me crave sweets. But keeping the protein high and fats in check can be helpful.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
12-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Thank you for your reply Tereza. It is always reassuring when others have the same experiences.

I often am hungrier on the day after an intense workout too. On the workout day itself I usually eat my normal amount.

I think for me keeping protein high is really important. That is my biggest goal along with calories. At the moment I am letting the rest fall where they will. At some stage I will start writing those amounts in also and see if there is a need to tweak the balance between the two.

And thank you for the measurement article. I thought it would be best to measure in the morning before eating so I will post the measurements tomorrow.
12-07-2016, 05:46 AM
Frosty - I think stress does different things to us at different times. Low level bad continual stress makes me hungrier. Traumatic stress initially suppresses my appetite and I live on adrenaline. But when it is over I fall in a heap (am fatigued all the time, don't sleep well, etc) and my appetite becomes enormous and I gain weight. I have to be very careful to eat well then - even though it is harder to get the motivation to buy good food and cook.

When you are stressed do you have any techniques to relieve it? I use EFT (emotional freedom technique) and that works really well for me. There are many other techniques that work really well to relieve stress. It is just about finding what works really well for you.
12-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Thanks Tereza and Fiona for your comments! I am thinking maybe stress can make me feel more hungry, because it takes more energy to deal with it.

I have not tried the EFT, I'll have to look that up. I am working on finding what helps me. I like taking a bath once or twice a week. And I try to take naps. Sometimes just looking out the window for a while can be relaxing!
12-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Hi Fiona,

I finally had some time to read through your journal. Welcome!!! I remember when I started EM2LW that I was starving all the time. As Tereza said, there are still times that I want to eat all day long and other times where I have to remind myself to start eating. Our lives are all different and ever changing, but I suspect that we are all the same in the fact that stress/activity level will affect our hunger. I personally find that sometimes I get so busy that it's simply a matter of finding the time to eat enough.

I see you are able to fit in 6 workouts a week. Would you mind telling me more about your program. I see that you alternate upper/lower body and do some HIIT. I also remember that you mentioned in my journal that you use dumbbells at home. I'd love to hear more since I only use dumbbells at home too.
12-08-2016, 05:58 PM
I am having a 4 day break from exercise. I think I overdid it with adding in the two extra sessions and increasing weights also. I had a feeling that I was but kept going.

There are usually a couple of hints that I am overdoing it and I felt them but ignored them. I stop sleeping well. I get a sort of "energy frenzy" - don't know how to describe it - like I can't stop. My concentration for other more academic pursuits or things like piano practice is less.

One positive is that my appetite has returned to normal.

Next week I am going back to my normal routine and keeping the raised weights. And maybe the following week I will change my workouts.
12-08-2016, 06:07 PM
(12-08-2016 05:58 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  I am having a 4 day break from exercise. I think I overdid it with adding in the two extra sessions and increasing weights also. I had a feeling that I was but kept going.

There are usually a couple of hints that I am overdoing it and I felt them but ignored them. I stop sleeping well. I get a sort of "energy frenzy" - don't know how to describe it - like I can't stop. My concentration for other more academic pursuits or things like piano practice is less.

Next week I am going back to my normal routine and keeping the raised weights. And maybe the following week I will change my workouts.

I am so proud of you for listening to your body, that is a HUGE achievement! It can be hard to listen to your body but hopefully we both can become more in tune with our bodies. Again so proud of you! Awesome victory.

No old roads lead to new destinations.
12-08-2016, 06:35 PM
(12-08-2016 06:07 PM)Original_Beauty Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 05:58 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  I am having a 4 day break from exercise. I think I overdid it with adding in the two extra sessions and increasing weights also. I had a feeling that I was but kept going.

I am so proud of you for listening to your body, that is a HUGE achievement! It can be hard to listen to your body but hopefully we both can become more in tune with our bodies. Again so proud of you! Awesome victory.

Thank you. I agree - it is a hard thing to listen and respond. It isn't something that is easy for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Finding Myself Again atuchofpink 12 3,210 10-12-2016 02:11 AM
Last Post: zanyzana66