Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Finding TDEE
05-17-2017, 11:33 AM
RE: Finding TDEE
That's a good way to see it, Fiona wink
Well, the body is used to the same work and once you change things up, the body gets confused and has to line up all the possible resources to become efficient at the new stimulus. So yes, perfectly normal to feel like there isn't enough food in the world.

A little retention sure also happen in the beginning, but it will level fãs you continue the workouts. See it as a sign that it is working and thing are happening.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2017, 06:01 PM
I had a great rest week last week. My weight has gone up a little - my measurements have gone up a small amount as well but I am hoping that is extra muscle. Could it still be water retention from raising the weights? I am still fitting into my shorts.

The last 5 weeks average cals:
Week ended 22 April - 2260 (dumbbells 9/10/12kg lower body, 8.5/9.5/10.5 upper body)
Week ended 29 April - 2471 (dumbbells 11/12/14kg lower body, 9.5/10.5/11.5kg upper body)
Week ended 6 May - 2585 (dumbbells 11/12/14kg lower body, 9.5/10.5/11.5kg upper body)
Week ended 13 May - 2385 (dumbbells 11/12/14kg lower body, 9.5/10.5/11.5kg upper body)
Week ended 20 May - 2085 (rest week)

I do 12/10/8/10/12 reps for each weight and superset.

The weights increase is the most I have ever increased from one week to the next so maybe that is another reason for my forced bulk. It seemed to settle down a little on the 3rd week of the weights raise.

I ate less on my rest week. What is the best thing to do? To eat at your normal TDEE or a little less?
05-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Hey Fiona,

I usually like to be able to eat the same in my rest weeks to let the body truly enjoy the recovery. But it will also depend on my hunger levels.

Usually you will see an increase/more water retention during the first two weeks of a new workout. It levels off on the third week. I usually increase the weight on at least one exercise at every workout, so I don't see such a big jump overall when increasing.

Team EM2WL
09-01-2017, 05:03 AM
It has been a while since I checked back in. I am pretty much the same weight wise. I have changed my weights routine to doing around 12 mins weights every day and HIIT twice a week with a few walks with my boyfriend (husband) thrown in.

I have discovered that I need a good multivitamin and a little extra zinc at the moment. I must have been run down because since I have added those my HIIT 'sprinting' has been easier and times better and I feel I go harder with the weights. I feel better generally and recover quicker.

Does anyone else take a multivitamin or supplement?

I am planning to go back to more hardcore lifting this week or next week.

I did a DEXA body scan in early June to set a benchmark - it is the first time I have done one. I was 23% body fat. I am carrying more fat than I normally do at the moment - I think I feel more comfortable at around 19-20% - I am a bigger person - a mesomorph - and start to look too bulky and I am borderline now.

I am just looking to stick at TDEE and recover for a bit and then I will do a cut and see how it goes??
09-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Good to hear from you!

Sticking to TDEE before cutting is a great plan! 23%, even though seems more than your usual, is a great percentage! Focusing on building muscle instead of only losing fat will definitely help that percentage decrease.

Yes on a good multi-vitamin!

Since you are planning on hitting the weights harder, why don't you cut HIIT to once a week or turn into shorter sessions? You could also do the, for 10 minutes, right after lifting as a workout finisher. It's good to change things around. More than 4-6 week focused on endurance (HIIT) and the results start diminishing. Lift heavier for 4-6, 8-12 reps and you will see changes by the third week in.

Team EM2WL
09-04-2017, 05:30 PM
I did my first heavier weights on Sunday (lower body) and Monday (upper body) - I was happy that it wasn't too hard so it seems I didn't lose too much strength. (I have been doing more body weight workouts - using resistance and really tensing muscles). I can do 24 "man" pushups and around 7-8 chin-ups on the first set (most I've every been able to do - and I weigh more than I usually do too) so am pretty happy with that.

My appetite REALLY increased yesterday - so I went with it - I am sure it will settle down again.

I started food tracking in MFP - (thank you for adding me as a friend Tereza) and it is easier to use than I thought.

Do you all just have a set "goal" calories and macros and not bother about tracking exercise in the program? The cardio is easy to enter but weight lifting seems really time consuming and I had trouble finding the right exercise and gave up. I had worked out my TDEE with exercise included anyway.

Thanks for the tips Tereza. We are going on holidays soon so I will plan to do the heavier weights/lower reps when I get back. It will be something to look forward to. It is fun switching things up and it renews my enthusiasm (for a couple of weeks anyway).
09-04-2017, 09:20 PM
You are welcome big hug!

I don't bother in adding the exercise to MFP. I set my goal to the calories and macros I want to reach. You can track if you like, but you exercise calories are included when you use the EM2WL calculator. If you add exercise, MFP give you more calories to eat, sort of how it goes when you sync it with a fitness tracker.

Wow, 7-8 chin ups is definitely impressive applause , way to go, girl!!! And yes, switching things around keeps your body challenged and can be a way to spice things up giggle

Team EM2WL
09-06-2017, 02:22 PM
I do the opposite of Tereza, I put in my goal calories without exercise then put in exercise and eat back those calories, it's a mental trick and helps me not go over my goal for the day and encourages me to work out. I am terrible at eating the same calories everyday and that gives me the flexibility to eat more on some days. Plus I am always hungrier on workout days. I don;t do a lot of lifting, my workouts are usually martial arts and body weight, so its much easier to calculate my exercise calories. I did however have to cut the MFP calories in half and use the fitbit calories for a martial arts workout. MFP was almost double.

and yes wow 7-8 is great, pretty sure I can't even do 1 hehe.
09-08-2017, 07:53 PM
(09-06-2017 02:22 PM)kcmsmith0405 Wrote:  I do the opposite of Tereza, I put in my goal calories without exercise then put in exercise and eat back those calories, it's a mental trick and helps me not go over my goal for the day and encourages me to work out. I am terrible at eating the same calories everyday and that gives me the flexibility to eat more on some days. Plus I am always hungrier on workout days. I don;t do a lot of lifting, my workouts are usually martial arts and body weight, so its much easier to calculate my exercise calories. I did however have to cut the MFP calories in half and use the fitbit calories for a martial arts workout. MFP was almost double.

and yes wow 7-8 is great, pretty sure I can't even do 1 hehe.

Thank you - I may try that way after I do it without adding exercise and then see which way I like the best. ... I don't like the program telling me that I will weigh more in 5 weeks when I eat more than the allotted calories. Does it tell you that too? I am wondering if I am able to switch that function off!!
09-08-2017, 09:29 PM
That predictive function relies on the activity level you enter. I don't know whether you an disable it without Premium, but in my experience it's not accurate. I just ignore it (or laugh at it).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Finding Myself Again atuchofpink 12 3,205 10-12-2016 02:11 AM
Last Post: zanyzana66