Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Finding TDEE
11-21-2017, 08:41 PM
RE: Finding TDEE
(11-20-2017 06:42 PM)sheilawrites Wrote:  
(11-20-2017 06:33 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  Yes, I am an Aussie :-)

Cutting easy?? Certainly not at the moment for me. There have been brief moments in my life where it has happened easily but I am finding it impossible to eat less than my body wants at the moment. If it goes on like this I will never be able to cut!!

Do you just go with it and eat to TDEE (and more) when it is impossible to cut and wait for a window where it is doable? If I tried to cut now I would be "white knuckling" it and I think that isn't good.

I haven't weighed myself yet to do the weekly check in - I have been putting it off as the scale probably isn't going to say what I want it to!!

Speaking just for me, I tried to cut a couple of times before and could not - I'd do it for a day, then eat tdee plus some, so I went with that for a while. Now I'm finding the cut to be, if not fun, at least not horrifying. One shift I have made is to go 40-30 with fat and carb respectively, and I'm no longer ravenous at my cut cals. But I'm learning to believe my body.

Thank you Sheila, that is helpful. You just switched around your fat and carb macros to make the fat the 40% and carbs the 30%. That is definitely something to try. At the moment I am mostly just tracking calories and protein. I will start tracking carbs and fat too and play around a bit with those.

It is great you have found a combination that is working, hopefully it is the one you can rely on - the body has a great way of changing the game every now and then!! Though after menopause perhaps it settles down and is more stable?

Maybe at the beginning of December I will start measuring and weighing and look for a pattern there as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2017, 08:46 AM
The body certainly does have a way of throwing curve balls, LOL! All of a sudden, what used to work doesn't work anymore...it's like trying to hit a moving target!
11-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Cutting is never easy. Well, I don’t it is even meant to me easy to deprive ourselves from something we actually need. All those diet fads that we tried before and are sold everywhere end up relying on will power, just because it’s hard to deny ourselves the food we need! Who wants to go to bed hungry!

Yesterday I was getting my hair done (finally some self care!) and I was listening to another hairdresser talking about how she was doing intermittent fasting and how hungry she was. This lady stands of her feet all day and is mostdefinitely busy every day with the holiday season!

The key is to NOT rely on willpower. Leave will power to not yell at the kids when they are acting up or cussing the person who cut in front of you in the traffic. Make habituando they will still be there when willpower runs out.

I don’t live at a constant cut mode or even cut look. I go times without logging, just sticking to my lifting, trying to move more (or laying around less big grin) until one day I wake up and say, yep, let’s cut! If it happens, amazing, if not, oh well, will happen eventually. Meanwhile being consistent in what I can keeps my body going and my mind sane. Maybe the six pack is not showing, but the belly is not getting bigger.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
11-22-2017, 03:06 PM
(11-14-2017 09:44 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Good to hear from you Fiona! You are an Aussie! We got quite a few Aussies here (Annette, Lucy Leigh, West). Yes for summer approaching!

Hey, when is it easy to cut, honestly laughing

I wish! I could do with some Aussie sunshine!

I have also, slowly and naturally switched carbs and fats around fats now at nearly 40%. I think this happened naturally due to my reduced appetite in a attempt to eat a decent amount of cals rather than let it continue to fall by the way side.
11-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Thanks Tereza, I know that eventually I will wake up one day and think "lets cut" and it will work. It just isn't at the moment but at least I am staying steady. I fit most of my clothes, am enjoying food and exercising and life and that is the best thing.

And West - it is nice to have the sun. And that is a good idea to swap the carbs and fat to keep up eating well.
11-24-2017, 11:52 AM
Just want to add that sun does make a huge difference! I lived in different places with different amounts of sun in different times of the year and I suffer from the lack of sun and lower temperatures. I become a total grouch and depression symptoms hit me hard.

There’s a short video that I posted on Tilly’s Thread about switching phases that makes a ton of sense: https://youtu.be/tCCJCKA8ukU

Team EM2WL
11-24-2017, 11:54 AM
(11-22-2017 03:06 PM)West Wrote:  
(11-14-2017 09:44 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Good to hear from you Fiona! You are an Aussie! We got quite a few Aussies here (Annette, Lucy Leigh, West). Yes for summer approaching!

I have also, slowly and naturally switched carbs and fats around fats now at nearly 40%. I think this happened naturally due to my reduced appetite in a attempt to eat a decent amount of cals rather than let it continue to fall by the way side.

I don’t know why I thought you were Aussie, may e because of your trips wink

Team EM2WL
11-24-2017, 03:16 PM
(11-24-2017 11:54 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 03:06 PM)West Wrote:  

I don’t know why I thought you were Aussie, may e because of your trips wink

I am an Aussie Tereza :-) ... that was West commenting.
11-25-2017, 09:37 AM
I was thinking that West was Aussie as well wink

Team EM2WL
12-18-2017, 05:29 PM
When I look over my food/exercise diaries I usually look for what I was eating and how I was exercising in the "successful" times ... but often when I try to recreate what appears to be the perfect scenario it isn't the same "magic bullet" it appears in my diary - weight loss or maintaining a "happy" weight doesn't appear to be tied to a particular food or vitamin/mineral scenario - although it is important to fill a deficiency if there is one as there are certain deficiencies which lead to weight gain or weight loss of unwanted kind.

I am thinking it may be more about my emotions, worries and what I am holding on to or what I am stressing over or whether I am processing emotions, worries and stresses efficiently.

I am now going through a fabulous book I bought early in 2015 (I think) called "The Tapping Solution for Weight Loss and Body Confidence: A Woman's Guide to Stressing Less, Weighing Less, and Loving More" by Jessica Ortner. It has great review on Amazon too. It is so much more than a weight loss book and doesn't have a "diet" in it to be seen but it works on reducing unresolved (stuck) emotions, incorrect beliefs passed to us from our culture or family, body image, emotional eating, reducing life stresses and past traumas that are still causing way too much emotional reaction, etc.

I have used this technique before with a lot of success in processing present stresses and past stresses and traumas that are still causing excess emotional reactions. This technique is really easy to learn and there is no need to buy anything - if anyone else is interested the websites I have found most helpful are :-
http://www.emofree.com
http://www.tappingqanda.com
http://www.thetappingsolution.com

This technique involves tapping on meridian points (like acupuncture except activating the points with tapping rather than with needles) while focusing on the issues which helps to resolve them. There are many studies showing that this technique does lower cortisol levels. There are studies that show that a group of obese women who tapped for around 2 hours a day for 8 weeks lost 16 pounds (nothing else was changed - not diet, not exercise) and they kept this weight off for 6-8 months despite most of them not keeping up the tapping.

I have also just borrowed a book from the Library called "Freedom from Emotional Eating" by Paul McKenna which also doesn't promote low calorie eating but rather opposes it (there is zero dietary advice in this book also). It has very similar focus to Jessica Ortner's book but uses different techniques.

So this is my latest focus. I am working on releasing the stresses, stuck emotions and beliefs in my life but I am still aiming to keep protein high, eat well and exercise as I love doing all those things.

I will aim to write regular updates.

Have happy holidays everyone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Finding Myself Again atuchofpink 12 5,656 10-12-2016 02:11 AM
Last Post: zanyzana66