Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eat, Play, Write
01-07-2017, 03:33 PM
RE: Eat, Play, Write
I hope one of the experts can give you some advice!

I'm not sure if I would cut back that much, unless you think you'd be taking more than a week or two off from all exercise. Your weight seems pretty stable to me. Maybe if you want to step it back by 50 calories or so you could try that? If you are trying to find your true TDEE, then you might want to stay consistent. I don't know, I might stay where you are with the calories . . . but I'm not an expert!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2017, 06:50 PM
(01-07-2017 03:33 PM)Frosty Wrote:  I hope one of the experts can give you some advice!

I'm not sure if I would cut back that much, unless you think you'd be taking more than a week or two off from all exercise. Your weight seems pretty stable to me. Maybe if you want to step it back by 50 calories or so you could try that? If you are trying to find your true TDEE, then you might want to stay consistent. I don't know, I might stay where you are with the calories . . . but I'm not an expert!

Hmmm. Now I'm even more confused. ;-/. I feel downright sedentary and I think it will definitely be a few days, maybe a week, before I'm back to walking, and I don't plan to run until I know my foot is healed. I had based everything on my half-marathon training, but weather and now this have cut my "burn" way back, so I thought I should cut calories back as well. But maybe you're right, Frosty. Maybe I'll dig around in the website and booklets a bit more.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2017, 09:46 PM
I totally meant to say that your doggie is cute!

Sorry you are feeling confused. As you can see from my journal, I've been confused too! Maybe go back to your own page 1 and read some of the comments in reply to you wanting to reduce your calories at that time.

Your weight looks quite stable to me, and you've been at your calorie level for a relatively short period of time. If you reduce by a couple of hundred cals, then it seems to me you'll have to cover the same ground again getting back up to 2000+ and might gain some weight in the process.

But, like I said, I am not an expert! I did have a health care person tell me that if we take a month or so off of exercising, then we need to rethink our calorie target. But for a week off from exercise, there is no need, because our BMR won't be affected.

It's up to you, of course. Maybe see what happens for 2 or 3 days at the same calorie level? Then if your weight goes up and up, you could cut back by a small amount. But during this time of finding your true TDEE, I would think it's not a time to go up and down with the cals by too much, maybe 100 at the most.

I hope you get some clarity on what to do!
01-07-2017, 11:10 PM
When we have an injury, it's best to eat at maintenance to help the healing process, but it's important to reevaluate the tdee, according to this article and video by Kiki Smith: http://pin.it/gYlDwqR

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
01-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Your dog is a cutie!! I, too, have been injured and had to be on a very restricted workout schedule...the week that I didn't work out at all, I kept to 2100 calories, I think, which was the average burn I got from my Fitbit. But once I was able to work out (albeit VERY restricted and very different from what I was used to) I went back to the calorie level I was at, which was 2200 (I think...my memory isn't great, but my journal will give you the details). I managed to not only keep my weight stable during my 3 months of injury, but also INCREASE my calories to 2300. Read through my journal if you want the exact details...I believe my injury/restricted workouts started somewhere around September 22nd. The journal will give you all the facts, along with exact calorie levels. If I remember correctly, I only cut back for the 3 or 4 days my mother was in the hospital and I knew I wouldn't get any workout in...after that, I went back to where I was prior, even though my workouts were much less intense due to the injury. Don't underestimate what your body is capable of handling...you will be surprised at how many calories you need, especially when your body is working to heal itself. A slight reduction is probably very prudent and a good decision, but try not to go any lower than you need to. I'm far from an expert, but I've just been though a long-term injury so I'm happy to help out if I can...message me if you need to! Hang in there, this too shall pass! happy
01-08-2017, 12:48 AM
Thanks, all. This is so much harder mentally than I expected! Anyway, you've convinced me and I'm going to stick to around 2000 and see what happens.
01-08-2017, 02:27 AM
(01-08-2017 12:48 AM)sheilawrites Wrote:  Thanks, all. This is so much harder mentally than I expected! Anyway, you've convinced me and I'm going to stick to around 2000 and see what happens.

It is very hand mentally, that's why it is my 3rd time attempting this. Just breathe, take your time...You can do this.

No old roads lead to new destinations.
01-08-2017, 10:31 AM
It is very hand mentally, that's why it is my 3rd time attempting this. Just breathe, take your time...You can do this.
[/quote]

Third time's a charm! Thanks for the encouragement, and for posting your own inspiring journey.
01-08-2017, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 10:40 AM by sheilawrites.)
New day, new week, new attitude! Despite the lack of exercise, you were all correct and sticking to my 2,000/day while not getting my normal exercise has not been a disaster. I'm actually down a smidgen this morning. My foot is a lot better, but I'm giving it another couple of days before I walk more than a few minutes, and no running until I'm sure it's better, so it will be a few more days before I'm back to my usual burn. I am doing some weights & seated yoga, though, so it's not a total washout. Anyway, I'm going to stick to 2,000 until my weight trends down again, then nudge the calories up another notch.
01-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Good for you! I think our TDEE calculation is more about our general lifestyle. We're supposed to recalculate if we gain or lose 5 pounds or more. Or, from what I think the article is saying, if we are not able to do our regular workout level/routine for several weeks (I'd guess 3-4 or more).

Yes, this is mentally challenging! But you can do it! Let's all do this together!