Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eat, Play, Write
04-15-2017, 03:58 PM
RE: Eat, Play, Write
I'm glad you are feeling calmer now. We all have those moments.
I was just reading this article earlier on and even though you are not just worried about shedding weight for a specific event/date, it may make sense to you: http://eatmore2weighless.com/summer-urgency/

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2017, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 04:55 PM by sheilawrites.)
(04-15-2017 03:58 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  I'm glad you are feeling calmer now. We all have those moments.
I was just reading this article earlier on and even though you are not just worried about shedding weight for a specific event/date, it may make sense to you: http://eatmore2weighless.com/summer-urgency/

Good article, but that's not my issue at the moment. I was just shocked to see that big jump up despite recalculating and eating at lower tdee (or I guess you could see it as a cut from my other estimate). I just don't understand the gain, and it scares me. And to be honest, it seems like most of the posts I see on the forums and on FB are like mine - worried about continued gains -- and most responses/advice I see encourage acceptance of the gains. Where are the people who are actually losing some weight on cuts? But mostly I really do want to understand how I can still be gaining weight with fewer calories after 5 months at higher levels. I do celebrate eating better, but I can't celebrate tight pants.
04-17-2017, 02:16 AM
Hello thought to write some of my experience since em2wl as i can understand your frustration and the "stuck in between" feeling!!
If you read any of my post or journal i was the same you with gaining weight and all the time blaming myself that i'm doing anything wrong somewhere. I think you are still at reset and even if u ate few weeks a little less you are looking for results too fast(like i did)
i have gained the hell of 12kgs(26.4lbs) during my reset and i have not lost any till now rather have gained another 4 lbs even after 2 cuts.
I started my first cut on the last week of Feb and stayed at 10% cut for 4 weeks gained 2 lbs and saw no difference in inches too so i did a full tdee week and went for second cut at 15% for 4 weeks with no change at all!! after completeing 4 wks i reassessed and added some 20 30 mins walk in my routine to take off the stress that was after me like crazy although i could see some defination in my body in the pictures i took there was no change in inches or the scale. it has been almost 6 weeks i have not used the scales and i'm happy about it. I'm now at the 8th week of my second cut with 50 cals less coz i thought maybe i'm not tracking food well (and this is also a planned rest week from weights) and yesterday when i met my sister whom i almost meet every weekend asked me if i was still following em2wl coz they were they one mocking at me when i gained and say y i am doing this to me!! People here dont say to 'Trust the Process' for no reason!! I compared some of my selfies and pictures taken a few months back and i have a toned look of my face and body. You are right i too dont fit in my summer clothes till now but i know i will maybe a year from now. it really is a sssllloooowww process but its worth it. i'm doing it because i know if i had been following my previous routines untill next year i would have gained back all but i am confident to see myself healthier and fit fr a year now! (if i live)
This is the first time doing em2wl that i am so confident in what i am doing and also recall Tereza's words to get some more that untill you dont fix the underneath layer of the bedsheet how will the upper layer come out smooth and neat. So somehwere inside its happeneing. It does take time. i have now just left it to what happens will happen i just have to follow 6 wks of cut and a week of tdee and concentrate of my workouts and strengths. Dont fret and let free yourself thats the time when u start seeing results!
sorry for being soo long.
04-17-2017, 08:27 AM
Ibtmas said it right, we don't see it, but is IS happening inside. Maybe it isn't showing right away, but it is happening. We are all in the same process, just in different stages of the journey.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
04-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Thanks, ibtmas and Tereza. ibtmas, I have read your journal, and it's very helpful to me to see your journey.

Please understand that I'm not looking for a loss at the moment. I just don't understand why I've gained! That said, I'm back down half a pound, which is still 2 pounds more than I was at 200 more calories. Maybe I should go back to 2000 and just stay there? But of course that scares me, too. (I REALLY don't want to buy bigger clothes, and I rehomed all my old bigger stuff.) I am getting some exercise, though not my usual -- but we've started hauling boxes to the P.O. and UPS, so that definitely counts as weight training! Plus I'm making sure to walk at least an hour a day, even if in short spurts.

The scale is (obviously) still out, but will be packed up again in a day or two. big grin

(ibtmas, I'm curious - where do you live?)

Starting weight in Nov. - ~145
Ave 2052 - 1-10 to 1-30 average 148.9
Ave 2011 -- 1-31 to 2-10 average 149.8
Ave 2163 -- 2-12 to 2-18 average 150.5
Ave 2225 -- 2-19 to 2-24 average 151.6
Ave 2308 -- 2-25 to 3-4 average 153.2
Ave 2090 -- 3-5 to 3-10 average 154.4
Ave 2074 -- 3-11 to 3-16 average 154.7
Ave 2116 -- 3-17 to 3-22 average 154.6
Ave 2098 -- 3-23 to 3-29 average 155.9
Ave 2068 -- 3-30 to 4-7 average 155.2
Scale Break! 4-8 to 4-14
Weigh in 4-15 - 157.8!!!!
4-16 -- 157.2
4-17 -- 157.2

Estimated TDEE = ~1813
04-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Nice to know that you found my journal helpful. I am from Pakistan(South Asia)thats why my posts are usually at the am of you guys when we have pm here
04-17-2017, 07:12 PM
How frustrating to keep gaining weight despite eating a little less.

Could it maybe be because you are eating less. When reading through other journals I have noticed that sometimes when someone hasn't yet reached their true TDEE and they lower the amount they eat they actually start gaining weight.

Or sometimes stress can make us hang onto weight or even gain it. Moving house could be quite stressful (even though it is exciting).

I think not knowing why it is happening would be most frustrating (to me anyway). If there is a clear definitive reason it is easier to do something about it. Most of this process is trial and error and then looking back and seeing what worked and what didn't over time!!
04-18-2017, 06:58 PM
(04-17-2017 07:12 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  How frustrating to keep gaining weight despite eating a little less.

Could it maybe be because you are eating less. When reading through other journals I have noticed that sometimes when someone hasn't yet reached their true TDEE and they lower the amount they eat they actually start gaining weight.

Or sometimes stress can make us hang onto weight or even gain it. Moving house could be quite stressful (even though it is exciting).

I think not knowing why it is happening would be most frustrating (to me anyway). If there is a clear definitive reason it is easier to do something about it. Most of this process is trial and error and then looking back and seeing what worked and what didn't over time!!

Maybe, but I think I was pretty close. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.
04-18-2017, 07:31 PM
The countdown has begun...6 days until we take off for Oregon (assuming the car shipper is on schedule for pick up!) I've managed to walk every day, and the past two days I've loaded 40-some boxes into the car and out of the car into the P.O and UPS. Thank goodness I also had a massage this afternoon!

Anyway, I'm still weighing as the scale is not yet re-packed, and I just don't get it. If my TDEE estimate is close, I've been averaging about a 3% cut, not on purpose, just by eating a lot of protein and fresh veggies that fill me up with fewer calories. (If my earlier estimate of ~2030 was closer, then I've been eating at about a 14% cut.) Either way, it seems like I should at least hold steady if not lose a little. As I've already lamented, my weight went up 2.5#, came back down half a pound and has stayed there - the heaviest I've been on this journey. It's really hard to resist the urge to cut cut cut. Harder still to know what to do now. I'd consider adding back 100 or so, but beginning Monday I'm going to be in a car for 6-9 hours a day for about a week, so adding doesn't seem the best strategy. Sigh. Maybe I'll pack the stupid thing tomorrow and hold my breath until we find our new home.

Starting weight in Nov. - ~145
Ave 2052 - 1-10 to 1-30 average 148.9
Ave 2011 -- 1-31 to 2-10 average 149.8
Ave 2163 -- 2-12 to 2-18 average 150.5
Ave 2225 -- 2-19 to 2-24 average 151.6
Ave 2308 -- 2-25 to 3-4 average 153.2
Ave 2090 -- 3-5 to 3-10 average 154.4
Ave 2074 -- 3-11 to 3-16 average 154.7
Ave 2116 -- 3-17 to 3-22 average 154.6
Ave 2098 -- 3-23 to 3-29 average 155.9
Ave 2068 -- 3-30 to 4-7 average 155.2
Scale Break! 4-8 to 4-14
Weigh in 4-15 - 157.8!!!!
4-16 -- 157.2
4-17 -- 157.2
4-18 -- 157.2

Estimated TDEE = ~1813
Average past 8 days = ~1750
04-19-2017, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2017 12:52 AM by hannah77.)
Just my opinion, but I would guess that your TDEE is probably closer to 2030 and while you aren't having "work-outs", your activities are adding up to a lot of expenditure of energy. Then, you throw in the schedule being all topsy turvy and stress, even though you are looking forward to the move. THEN, you decided to pull out the scale and weigh probably hoping in the back of your mind to see a steady state or even slight decline.

I would just eat mindfully for the next month and stick to about where you are in calories. I would say to increase, but with being in the car and not loading/unloading/packing boxes, your activity level will drop. Definitely don't go any lower!

If you are closer to a 14% (and maybe more with the added activity) cut, your body may not have been ready for that and now is hoarding. I have noticed several times in my own journey that the same thing happens....I think I should be losing or at least maintaining and the weight goes up. I increase my calories a little, and my body lets go. Of course, I haven't posted in my journal in several weeks so you wouldn't see much about my latest experience with that when I'm actually in a bona fide cut phase but definitely did happen when I was experimenting back around Nov/Dec. I actually just started coming out of cut yesterday, bumping up 100 calories to 2300...not going to shoot up directly to my TDEE but will take about 3 weeks to get there to coincide with the end of the semester...scale-wise, I lost about 6-7 pounds during the 12 weeks (so yes, there is hope that after all the finding TDEE/resetting, which in my case was about 8-9 months, weight can be lost...although more importantly is inches. The next part of the experience is to get back up to TDEE and see what happens). Hope to get to updating my journal soon, but the end of the semester is coming up so pretty busy.

Anyway, the point of all that was I really wouldn't pay any attention to what the scale says right now. When you were in your scale break, you were sounding so happy and now that stupid number is making you feel anxious when you have this big, exciting (but STRESSFUL) time ahead of you. Enjoy life and the move and get back into a routine after you get more settle.