Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eat, Play, Write
01-10-2017, 11:24 AM
RE: Eat, Play, Write
Woe is me - up again, both weight and trend. I'm trying to believe it's a combination of less exercise due to foot injury and, maybe, water retention, although I can't think of any particular reason for the water. Or maybe I am getting close to TDEE? My foot is better, so I'm hoping to get back to walking and, in a few days, back to my half-marathon training. It's 6 weeks away! Anyway, just whining a little. While I'm at it, I should add that I feel absolutely STUFFED, and have to force myself to eat all my calories. I know this is a normal part of the process, but, urp, it doesn't make it any easier, as you all know. I am keeping my macros nicely balanced, so there's that. puppy dog eyes

Starting weight 11-21 - 144
Past 2 weeks
12-28 147.8 lbs
12-29 148.4 lbs
12-30 148.2 lbs
12-31 148 lbs
1-01 147.4 lbs
1-02 147 lbs
1-03 147.2
1-04 148
1-05 148.2
1-06 147.2
1-07 148.2
1-08 148
1-09 147.4
1-10 148.2

BMR - 1271
TDEE - 2192 9 (@ Strenuous)
Calorie average past week - 1999.85
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2017, 03:42 PM
It still looks to me like your weight is pretty stable, just bouncing up and down between similar numbers. I remember feeling stuffed the first month or two, but now I feel much better. You will too!

Yay for you doing well with your macros!
Find all posts by this user
01-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Thumbs up on macros! And, yes, your weight seems stable with a slight variation. Good to hear your foot is feeling better! Make sure to ease your way into working out, don't go all out at once.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
01-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Good morning! Since you all agree that my weight is holding pretty steady (and The Hacker's Diet tracks my trend for 43 days as +0.45 lb, which is essentially nothing), I've added another 100 calories. So starting today, my goal is 2100. My foot is healed, so I'm not as frightened as I was with exercise back on my schedule. (Plus I really missed my walks and walk/runs!) Looking forward to seeing what happens next, as this puts me within spitting distance of my TDEE, at least per the calculator. Thanks again for all the feedback and encouragement, and hand-holding!

Starting weight 11-21 - 144
Past 2 weeks

12-29 148.4 lbs
12-30 148.2 lbs
12-31 148 lbs
1-01 147.4 lbs
1-02 147 lbs
1-03 147.2
1-04 148
1-05 148.2
1-06 147.2
1-07 148.2
1-08 148
1-09 147.4
1-10 148.2
1-11 148.2

BMR - 1271
TDEE - 2192 9 (@ Strenuous)
Calorie average past week - 1999.85
Cals/day beginning 1-11 - 2100
01-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Wow, look at you go! That's great that you are going to try upping the calories! Glad your foot is feeling better too. It will be interesting to hear how things progress!
01-11-2017, 10:18 PM
(01-11-2017 09:57 PM)Frosty Wrote:  Wow, look at you go! That's great that you are going to try upping the calories! Glad your foot is feeling better too. It will be interesting to hear how things progress!

Thanks! It's a little scary. I'm actually tempted to just go all the way to my calculator-generated TDEE, it's so close, but I think I'll see what happens at 2100 with exercise back in play.
01-12-2017, 09:54 AM
It's ok either way, but increasing slowly will decrease the chances of the scale doing some crazy jump. You are doing great, almost there, yay!

Team EM2WL
01-12-2017, 11:20 AM
I don't think I can do this. My weight is up this morning to 149, and I can't stand the idea of hitting 150. I even feel fatter the past couple of weeks. Anyway, enough whining...my gut & heart tell me I need to do a cut, so that's what I'm going to do, starting today. I know this latest gain is just one day, but I had been holding at 144-146 since June, and have been gaining steadily since I started EM2WL in November. I understand that's normal, but... I have never done an extremely low-calorie (below 1200) diet - lost 75# eating 1500-1900 - so I don't think my metabolism is too badly messed up.

I do have a question... According to the Starter Kit and the Quick-Start Guide, if we choose a full reset, the cut after reaching and maintaining TDEE is 10%. But if we begin with TDEE - cut, the cut is 15%. Why the difference?

The 15% cut for me, based on projected TDEE for my starting weight of 144, would be 1863. That feels right to me - I think that's about what I would eat if I didn't track everything. (It's also TDEE for my ultimate goal weight, which is interesting.) But I would like to understand why the cut is less after doing a reset than it is without the reset.

Thanks, all. (Frosty - I hope I haven't disappointed you!)
01-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Sheila, there's no disappointment or judgment here. It's ok not to be ready for a full reset yet. It's ok to take a step back so you can move forward later on. This is a life journey and there are different phases, just like the seasons of the year. The smaller the deficit in the beginning, the more room to wiggle you will have if things don't move along as expected. If you start with 15%, you don't have room to move without going to low. Slow and steady wins the race. The slower you lose, the bigger the chances to burn fat and preserve muscle.

On a different note, I'd like to share a response given by Kelly, team member and reset master, on Facebook a few weeks ago:

"First of all, Breathe. I know gaining more weight than you had originally "allowed" yourself to gain is hard. I went well beyond what I thought I would gain as well. But it important to answer some questions so we can find out whats going on

How long have you been resetting?
How long had you "dieted" in the past? What did your past dieting life look like?
Are you certain you are at your TDEE level?
Are you tracking? Are you tracking consistently? What is the average level of cals you have been eating in the past few MONTHS? (If you track with MFP, you can view your average cals in the mobile app)
What are your macro %s and have you been consistent at hitting them for a long period of time? Protein especially. Again if you are tracking , this will be in the mobile app under nutrition (pie chart)
What are the activities/workouts you have been doing?
Stress is a major factor with weight gain. Have you been under any stress lately with work or at home?

I know its frustrating. I know it sucks. The reset phase is literally the worst phase and the hardest to do, but its the one where magic does happen - in time. Lets see if we can figure it out. "

Team EM2WL
01-12-2017, 08:06 PM
(01-12-2017 01:03 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Sheila, there's no disappointment or judgment here. It's ok not to be ready for a full reset yet. It's ok to take a step back so you can move forward later on. This is a life journey and there are different phases, just like the seasons of the year. The smaller the deficit in the beginning, the more room to wiggle you will have if things don't move along as expected. If you start with 15%, you don't have room to move without going to low. Slow and steady wins the race. The slower you lose, the bigger the chances to burn fat and preserve muscle.

On a different note, I'd like to share a response given by Kelly, team member and reset master, on Facebook a few weeks ago:

"First of all, Breathe. I know gaining more weight than you had originally "allowed" yourself to gain is hard. I went well beyond what I thought I would gain as well. But it important to answer some questions so we can find out whats going on

How long have you been resetting?
How long had you "dieted" in the past? What did your past dieting life look like?
Are you certain you are at your TDEE level?
Are you tracking? Are you tracking consistently? What is the average level of cals you have been eating in the past few MONTHS? (If you track with MFP, you can view your average cals in the mobile app)
What are your macro %s and have you been consistent at hitting them for a long period of time? Protein especially. Again if you are tracking , this will be in the mobile app under nutrition (pie chart)
What are the activities/workouts you have been doing?
Stress is a major factor with weight gain. Have you been under any stress lately with work or at home?

I know its frustrating. I know it sucks. The reset phase is literally the worst phase and the hardest to do, but its the one where magic does happen - in time. Lets see if we can figure it out. "

Thanks so much, Tereza - again! Honestly, I don't know what to do - I change my mind every 5 minutes, which isn't like me at all. Must be all that extra nutritional energy! Anyway,...

I looked back at my weekly averages on MFP beginning late October through last week. They range progressively from 1647 to 2014. Then I randomly checked some earlier weeks. Seems I've stayed above 1600/day since I reached my goal at WW in June. Before that, though, I ranged from 1250-1400 for 16 months. I was also walking and walk/run intervals 1-2+ hours most days, swimming laps 30 min 3-4 days a week, and weight training 3 days a week, so I was clearly netting below BMR. Before that, I have no idea, but I know I pared back my eating when I joined WW, so undoubtedly I was eating more - as I think back, I would estimate I was regularly several hundred above TDEE even at my heaviest (218 lb).

Given that history, I guess I should do a full reset, but I panic when I think of hitting 150+ again - getting below 150 seemed like such a turning point. And I'm definitely trending up - my Hacker's chart since I joined EM2WL is below. So am I increasing too quickly? That looks like a pretty steep trend to me, but maybe I just haven't been around long enough to know.

I've looked through a lot of the journals but haven't found one that talks about going straight to a cut. Does anyone know of someone who has written about that experience? Maybe that would help me figure myself out!

BTW, I have stuck with the 2100 today after all, but if I'm up again tomorrow, I'm afraid I'll have a crying jag! :-)