Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eat, Play, Write
01-12-2017, 10:30 PM
RE: Eat, Play, Write
Sheila, how about just going up from 2000 at 50 calorie increases? Or maybe even 25 calorie increases? Taking things a bit slower than 100 calories might help minimize the weight going up.

Or, maybe just stay at 2000 calories for a bit longer, maybe another 2 weeks?

I think given your dieting history, you would want to do a full reset. I am no expert, but your metabolism was likely hurt by the low calories and high exercise. So, be patient and let the process happen, even though it's hard, especially mentally!

I totally understand how hard it is to see that 150 on the horizon! I too didn't want my weight to go over certain barriers. But, as time has gone on, I've gotten used to the idea of weighing more than I want to for a while. If I had known I was going to go over 140, or 143, or 145, etc. I would probably not have wanted to do this process! I've gained over 10 pounds, yikes! But it's so important to do it for our bodies to heal and for us to be able to lose weight the right way when the time comes.

Just think about my journey lately, and how I was gaining 1 pound a week for 4 weeks. And now at week 5 my weight seems to be settled.

So, try to think about the bigger picture, and how you want to be healthy and have a well-working metabolism! Then, take things as slowly as you need to. We are all here for support along the way!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2017, 11:02 PM
I also know how hard it is to see the scale go up when all we really want when we start is to see it go down...and quickly.

Frosty's suggestion is a good idea...but also realize that you just increased your calories by 100 yesterday. I think you have been through that slow and steady turtle approach over the past several months. Remember this is what is supposed to happen, your weight increasing slightly and then over the period of a couple weeks (maybe a month if you are close to TDEE), it trends back down. So, what you have described is not unexpected.

If it does seem too much emotionally/mentally, just go up to 2050. Or go back to 2000. Either is okay...so is 2100. Nothing you decide to do at this point is permanent or will damage you so go with what will allow you to continue with your journey.

Have you been taking measurements over the last few months? From my own personal measuring experience over the New Year, I am 2.5 pounds (maybe 3 now) heavier then when I started in April but I have lost 12 inches (I think...can't remember exact number). If I was just looking at the weight, I wouldn't have the whole picture. Hopefully, you have been. If not, I highly recommend it so that you have another standard besides just weight to base your progress on.
01-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Hi Sheila,
Your graph looks like mine. I went up quite steeply, but overall it was about 4 kg (9 lbs) from the start of EM2WL until now. Remember that the rise looks more full-on because it is focused in on the detail. In my example, I now weigh the same as when I joined ww in 2010 - and then lost nearly 30kg (66lbs). I'm not happy about it, but it's just how it is. I've found my TDEE and am resetting For the time being. I only hope this process works as I've tried everything else over the years. I am not bingeing now, and can effortlessly turn down a treat if I don't feel like it now that I'm not hungry all the time. I'm happy with that. Have there been improvements in your life over the time you've been searching for TDEE? The end will come and you will find TDEE. You can always extend the amount of time at a calorie goal if you need it to manage the emotional reaction.

Good luck with your journey,
Annette
01-13-2017, 09:22 AM
You are not alone and the way you are feeling is perfectly normal, we all felt that way before (and still do sometimes).

Hannah and Frosty nailed it on it being ok to eat at 2000, 2050 or 2100 for now. You came a long way and your body is doing what it is supposed to do, even though it may not be what you wish it was doing. Measurements and pictures will help you spot progress that the scale won't show you. The scale is just another measuring tool, not a dictator of how you should live. I really like thi tips this article gives about taking measurements: http://pin.it/R8Kmn-b

I love so much what Annette said about her own improvements on not bingeing. The most important and the hardest part of this journey is the mental one. It was what brought us here in first place, not just the eating. Eating is just part of everyone's life, but the way we act regarding it, but depriving ourselves and then indulging, with the guilt cycles and all the other behaviours is the issue. Once we work this part, the whole journey changes and we can actually appreciate what we have, what we can accomplish and enjoy life.

Just some more reading on metabolism reset that caiu-lhes be helpful: http://pin.it/Z9B-ft4
I also have collected all the journey stories and transformations submitted to EM2WL here: http://pin.it/eSnUmSs
Can't wait for the day you will submit yours!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
01-13-2017, 11:04 AM
Thank you all - Frosty, Hannah, Annette, Tereza! You are all so kind and helpful, and you've calmed me down. I did stick with 2100 yesterday, and lost 0.2 lb - heh heh heh. I'm going to stick it (and I promise not to post a "changed my mind again" for at least a week. :-)

Tereza, the links are very helpful - thanks! I see I have more reading to do.

Annette, am I correct that most of your regain was before you joined EM2WL? I'm inspired my your stick-to-it-inveness. If I level out here, I'll stay at 2100 until I see a slight drop. I don't want to have to replenish my bigger clothes supply - I donated everything that was baggy!

Hannah, I do take measurements once a month, and you're so right! They are encouraging when the scale is not.

Frosty, as usual, I look to your history in particular, since we're so close in size & trajectory. Thanks again for all your support - and your data! :-)

Off for a walk - it's 70F and GORGEOUS on the NC coast this morning.

Have a great weekend, all!
01-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Hi Sheila, Yes, most had returned before EM2WL, but I was certainly hoping not to find the final 4 kg that hadn't returned... not to be, unfortunately. I gained in spits and spurts over the intervening years, but I also studied most of a degree whilst working full-time, so the old study / procrastination habits lead to the bulk of the gains. And dodgy knees etc etc... tbh, most of the people I met when doing ww online at the time have now regained most of their losses (or continued to yoyo). I wish I had found EM2WL before the bulk of the gains, but that isn't my story. I truly hope it is yours though! Keep plodding along. It is very difficult to remain calm through this whole process. I don't know if anybody has, actually! Let's just keep learning from each other and having hope,
01-13-2017, 09:45 PM
(01-13-2017 09:28 PM)zanyzana66 Wrote:  Hi Sheila, Yes, most had returned before EM2WL, but I was certainly hoping not to find the final 4 kg that hadn't returned... not to be, unfortunately. I gained in spits and spurts over the intervening years, but I also studied most of a degree whilst working full-time, so the old study / procrastination habits lead to the bulk of the gains. And dodgy knees etc etc... tbh, most of the people I met when doing ww online at the time have now regained most of their losses (or continued to yoyo). I wish I had found EM2WL before the bulk of the gains, but that isn't my story. I truly hope it is yours though! Keep plodding along. It is very difficult to remain calm through this whole process. I don't know if anybody has, actually! Let's just keep learning from each other and having hope,

I understand the bum-in-chair problem. I'm a writer, so my work is sedentary, but over the past 2 years I've created a habit of writing 45 min, then walking 15, rinse, repeat. I also studied for another degree 2011-13, and put on 45 pounds - I was writing for school + had a 3-book contract with deadlines. Lots of time at computer + too much comfort food -- it was not pretty!

I still go to WW meetings because I really enjoy a lot of the people (I'm a lifetime member, so don't pay unless I regain), but I'm more and more aware that MANY of the people there are there for the 3rd or 4th time, having regained, and/or are finding themselves on long plateaus, even eating all their available points. Being the bookworm/recovering academic I am, when I plateaued, I started reading, and quickly added fat back into my diet, and LOTS more protein. That helped, but I see now my calories were still much too low, esp. with the exercise I was doing. So I'm developing a love/hate relationship with WW - love the people at my local meeting, but I am more and more cynical about the company's willingness to really educate people and help them/us KEEP it off. They DO help a lot of people lose a lot of weight, but of course they make money when people come back, and they often do because "it worked before." Anyway...now I just enjoy the people, occasionally learn about some food or gadget I didn't know about, and move on. :-)

Thanks for the encouragement - I'm much calmer today, possibly because I'm finally back to my long walks, which I love as much for the sights along the way (today, for instance, a gray fox, several egrets and herons, a young mockingbird practicing his repertoire...).
01-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Happy Saturday! I'm just updating... Have a lovely weekend!

Starting weight 11-21 - 144
Past 2 weeks

1-01 147.4 lbs
1-02 147 lbs
1-03 147.2
1-04 148
1-05 148.2
1-06 147.2
1-07 148.2
1-08 148
1-09 147.4
1-10 148.2
1-11 148.2
1-12 149
1-13 148-8
1-14 148.6

BMR - 1271
TDEE - 2192 9 (@ Strenuous)
Calorie average past week - 2043.85
Cals/day beginning 1-11 - 2100
01-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Ack - I'm up this morning to 149.4 (+5.2 since I started).

Starting weight 11-21 - 144
Past 2 weeks
1-03 147.2
1-04 148
1-05 148.2
1-06 147.2
1-07 148.2
1-08 148
1-09 147.4
1-10 148.2
1-11 148.2
1-12 149
1-13 148-8
1-14 148.6
1-15 148.6
1-16 149.4

BMR - 1271
TDEE - 2192 9 (@ Strenuous)
Calorie average past week - 2069
Began 2100/day on 1-11 (ave 2108 since then)
01-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Well, it looks like a little bit of a trend of an increase in weight. Mine would seem to be stable, for like a week, and then overnight it would jump up a pound! So maybe watch and see what your weight does, and what the pattern is for you.

If you see 4 or more weeks of a gradual increase, then maybe you are over TDEE. The thing is, you may need to be okay with seeing that 150 number again. Even when you think you've reached TDEE, you will want to test it by going over it, which means gaining some weight in the process. Easier said than done!

By the way, the other day I stepped on the scale and it said 150.4. I was like, whaaat? Then I stepped on 2 more times and got 148.6 or so. I guess it was just a fluke, but it's funny how that number seems scary to me too!

Hang in there and see what happens!