Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eat, Play, Write
03-24-2017, 11:34 AM
RE: Eat, Play, Write
Pack the scale already!

How about tweaking your macros and adding more fats? Fats and protein do help when it comes to feeling less hungry. I know you don't want to increase, but maybe just a tad here and there (more protein).

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2017, 11:55 AM
I probably should pack the scale, but I'm afraid that I'll unpack in in a month and be up a lot. I'm kind of bummed out about today's increase. I have had a bit more (good) carbs than usual the past couple of days. Would that do it? Water? Also my average is slightly higher than goal/estimated TDEE, but not much. Anyway, I'm not so freakin' hungry today, and I'm sticking reasonably close to my goal. And I got a nice walk in yesterday and have plans for one this afternoon.

Starting weight in Nov. - ~145
Ave 2052 - 1-10 to 1-30 range 148.2-149.4
Ave 2011 -- 1-31 to 2-10 range 149.4-150.4
Ave 2163 -- 2-12 to 2-18 range 150 to 151.2
Ave 2225 -- 2-19 to 2-24 range 151 to 152.6
Ave 2308 -- 2-25 to 3-4 range 152.2 to 155
Ave 2090 -- 3-5 to 3-10 range 155-153.8
Ave 2074 -- 3-11 to 3-16 range 154.6-154.8
Ave 2116 -- 3-17 to 3-22 average 154.6
3-23 155.6
3-24 154.8
3-25 156

BMR - 1296
TDEE - ~2100??
Average past 7 days - 2135
03-25-2017, 03:26 PM
I truly love the dietician Leslie Schilling. She posted this today on the scale subject: https://instagram.com/p/BSESwuAAXdJ/

Team EM2WL
03-25-2017, 07:10 PM
(03-25-2017 03:26 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  I truly love the dietician Leslie Schilling. She posted this today on the scale subject: https://instagram.com/p/BSESwuAAXdJ/

Thanks, Tereza. Very interesting chart.

Help me a little more here....In order to do a reset per EM2WL, we have to weigh in (at least occasionally, if not daily), track calories and try to hit certain levels, and track macros, yes? So is the whole business of ditching the scale & tracking something to think about for after we find TDEE? The two approaches seem to be at odds, or am I missing something?

I will add one interesting result of tracking for so long (I've been tracking macros for about 2.5 years, even while doing WW and using points rather than calories). I'm finding that I can "feel" what macro adjustments I need to finish out a day - I'm often hungry for the thing I'm low in. It's not foolproof, but definitely there. I'm more and more inclined to try just living and eating as I feel inclined for a while, then check in with measurements and, eventually, the scale to see if I'm on track. It's a bit frightening to let go of all that obsessive record keeping, but also very attractive. What would I do with all the extra time? :-)
03-26-2017, 12:19 PM
I know it sounds like two opposite approaches, but if I told you to dump the scale from the get go, after being tied up for years and seeing it as the only progress tracker, you would run the other way, right?

The scale is an useful tool to help you figure out your TDEE, but only if you can see the numbers and not to freak out, if you can be really cold blooded and not to see it as anything else other than just data. But that is very unrealistic. To get your body to become more efficient in burning, to get it to increase the metabolism after years (or decades) of trying to convince it that less is better and that it shouldn't even ask for more, the only way is to increase the intake. The calculators/Fitbit will give us a close number to what our TDEE should be as of now, but it could actually be more or a bit less, depending on the daily variables.

A chill phase would definitely be a good call right now. You have a lot going on and you don't want to add even more stress to the equation. The scale will do whatever it has to do (honestly, we can control the eats, the workouts, but no the scale). And yes, your body feels hungry for what it needs, isn't that cool? On the extra time, I'm sure you will love it!

Team EM2WL
03-26-2017, 12:44 PM
(03-26-2017 12:19 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  I know it sounds like two opposite approaches, but if I told you to dump the scale from the get go, after being tied up for years and seeing it as the only progress tracker, you would run the other way, right?

The scale is an useful tool to help you figure out your TDEE, but only if you can see the numbers and not to freak out, if you can be really cold blooded and not to see it as anything else other than just data. But that is very unrealistic. To get your body to become more efficient in burning, to get it to increase the metabolism after years (or decades) of trying to convince it that less is better and that it shouldn't even ask for more, the only way is to increase the intake. The calculators/Fitbit will give us a close number to what our TDEE should be as of now, but it could actually be more or a bit less, depending on the daily variables.

A chill phase would definitely be a good call right now. You have a lot going on and you don't want to add even more stress to the equation. The scale will do whatever it has to do (honestly, we can control the eats, the workouts, but no the scale). And yes, your body feels hungry for what it needs, isn't that cool? On the extra time, I'm sure you will love it!

But how do we know we aren't just using this as a way to excuse regaining lost weight to "get healthy"? My weight is up again this morning -- 157! -- and I'm feeling awful about it.
03-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Tereza, thanks again for this nudge. Kiki just posted pretty much the same thing on FB, so I think I am going to try a big chill - no weighing, no tracking until after we move, and maybe not too soon after that. This is making me nuts. ;-)
03-26-2017, 07:52 PM
(03-25-2017 03:26 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  I truly love the dietician Leslie Schilling. She posted this today on the scale subject: https://instagram.com/p/BSESwuAAXdJ/

I need to check her out thank you for the link happy

No old roads lead to new destinations.
03-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Apparently I'm not chillable at the moment. I automatically weighed myself this morning (no, I haven't packed the scale yet), and not knowing what I'm eating was more stressful by afternoon than knowing, so....I'm postponing the chill until the long drive from North Carolina to Oregon.

In the meantime, I realize that I've been cheating a bit since my TDEE estimate is based on getting an hour exercise most days, and I've been goofing off. I think my 2115 TDEE estimate is pretty close IF I get the exercise it's based on, and not getting it might account for the gains. So for the 4 remaining weeks before the move, I'm going to be sure to get my exercise in and stick more closely to my goal of 2115 and see what happens. I apologize for bouncing around so much - too many moving parts! At least I'm not tempted to cut. :-)

I did go for a lovely walk this morning. Perfect weather - 75F and sunny. As I set out, a male bluebird led me from tree to tree along the sidewalk for about a quarter mile. I'll take that as an good omen!

Starting weight in Nov. - ~145
Ave 2052 - 1-10 to 1-30 average 148.9
Ave 2011 -- 1-31 to 2-10 average 149.8
Ave 2163 -- 2-12 to 2-18 average 150.5
Ave 2225 -- 2-19 to 2-24 average 151.6
Ave 2308 -- 2-25 to 3-4 average 153.2
Ave 2090 -- 3-5 to 3-10 average 154.4
Ave 2074 -- 3-11 to 3-16 average 154.7
Ave 2116 -- 3-17 to 3-22 average 154.6

3-23 155.6
3-24 154.8
3-25 156
3-26 156
3-27 156.8

Estimated TDEE = 2115
Average past week = 2118
03-27-2017, 08:36 PM
No need to apologize, just keep going. Progress is not only going forward, sometimes it means taking some steps back. I am sure that the walks will also help with your stress level.
Yay for nice weather and good omen!

Team EM2WL