Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eat, Play, Write
12-17-2017, 03:29 PM
RE: Eat, Play, Write
Howdy, whoever's still out there. So this past week I didn't cut but did have one low day early in the week when I wasn't feeling well, so my average looks like a cut. Anyway, whoosh, I'm suddenly down a bit. Weird. The only other difference is that I lowered my carbs to 30% and, aside from my breakfast muesli, got most of my carbs from veggies, not grains, and increased my fats to 40-45%. I hit 25-30% protein consistently.

Anyway, from now through our next move in Feb I don't plan to cut but I am going to try this macro range for a while and see what happens.

I hope everyone is doing well even if you're not hanging out here much!

Starting weight in Nov. 2016 - ~145
Reset/TDEE search Nov-Jan;
Jan-April calorie range 2011-2308; weight range 148.9-->156.8
Chill through May & June -- no weigh-ins, ate what I pleased
July - Sept -- calories 1750-2000; weight bounced between 150-153
Sept - Start 4-week cut -- calories 1660-1756; weight 150.8-->149.8
10/22-10/28 - average calories 1848, ave wt 149.6
Oct - Start cut
Date -- Sun weight -- ave calories
11/5 -- 149 -- 1697
11/12 -- 148.2 -- 1703
11/19 - 147.8 -- 1698
11/26 - 148.4 -- 1723
12/3 - 149 -- 1630
12/10 - 149.4 -- 1768
12/17 - 148.2 - 1647

Estimated TDEE -- ~1690???
Estimated BMR -- ~1300
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2017, 03:58 AM
Hi Sheila, I've been reading, just not posting. Congrats on your whoosh! happy
Are you planning on counting until February when you don't want to cut, or will you be eating intuitively?

It almost looks like your TDEE is higher than 1690, because you maintained in the 1800s easily in October. Perhaps your body simply does not want to let go of weight and will cling to it despite a deficit?

Just speculation, as it felt that way when I tried a cut the last time when I had a deficit, but didn't lose anything, and then went back to maintenance and weight stayed the same too. It's such a guessing game it seems!
12-18-2017, 04:11 PM
(12-18-2017 03:58 AM)Jules Wrote:  Hi Sheila, I've been reading, just not posting. Congrats on your whoosh! happy
Are you planning on counting until February when you don't want to cut, or will you be eating intuitively?

It almost looks like your TDEE is higher than 1690, because you maintained in the 1800s easily in October. Perhaps your body simply does not want to let go of weight and will cling to it despite a deficit?

Just speculation, as it felt that way when I tried a cut the last time when I had a deficit, but didn't lose anything, and then went back to maintenance and weight stayed the same too. It's such a guessing game it seems!

Hi Jules. When I maintained in the 1800s I was exercising more. I can't find a good answer about how long the effects of regular exercise remain even when there's a change. It's a complete freakin' guessing game! Sometimes I eat a few hundred cals more for a day and lose, then stick with a lower number for a week or two and nothing happens (or I gain!).

At the moment, I plan to track what I eat but try not to obsess about it. But honestly, I'm really tired of obsessing about what I eat and how I exercise. I love the support from EM2LW forums and FB, but I'm thinking of taking a break after the new year from all things "what we eat." Sometimes the pressure NOT to diet seems as stress-provoking as diet mentality! Anyone else feel that way? Maybe I'm just tired of it all and a bit stressed about the upcoming move. I do anticipate being much more active once we move - plan to get back to serious dog training (I've competed for years in obedience, agility, tracking, conformation...but have been inactive for about 7 years) and to more walking, hiking, and bicycling, and probably gentle weight training and yoga. Hard to explain why I'm really resisting all these things I used to do all the time, but I've decided that I just need to go with that for a bit longer. It's not like I'm sitting in front of the tv with donuts and Doritos, but I am "hibernating" in some ways. Self-defense, maybe? (Way more than you wanted to know, right?!?!)

I hope you're doing well!
12-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Great to see you have had a whoosh. I have mostly read and not posted also but am aiming to post more as I think we can help each other by doing this.

Looking back over the last few years I find that I sometimes gain weight when I eat more and sometimes don't. I think it may be more about what is going on in our life - whether we are worried and stressed or not - more than we think. And I agree Sheila - it can be stressful trying to eat more, keeping macros to a certain ratio and watching the scales go up too.

When I go on holidays I usually drop weight - and inches too - despite eating what I want. On holidays I usually just walk - and it is often slower than I would at home and usually no weights or hiit although occasionally I have done the odd exercise session.

I am wondering if it is more about being less stressed (including physical stress of weights and hiit - maybe I need to be stricter about having planned rests).

Have a fabulous couple of months - I will miss your updates and look forward to hearing from you when you are in your new home.
12-18-2017, 06:16 PM
(12-18-2017 04:47 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  Great to see you have had a whoosh. I have mostly read and not posted also but am aiming to post more as I think we can help each other by doing this.

Looking back over the last few years I find that I sometimes gain weight when I eat more and sometimes don't. I think it may be more about what is going on in our life - whether we are worried and stressed or not - more than we think. And I agree Sheila - it can be stressful trying to eat more, keeping macros to a certain ratio and watching the scales go up too.

When I go on holidays I usually drop weight - and inches too - despite eating what I want. On holidays I usually just walk - and it is often slower than I would at home and usually no weights or hiit although occasionally I have done the odd exercise session.

I am wondering if it is more about being less stressed (including physical stress of weights and hiit - maybe I need to be stricter about having planned rests).

Have a fabulous couple of months - I will miss your updates and look forward to hearing from you when you are in your new home.

Thanks, Fiona. I don't know that I'll be completely absent, but I'm just going to give myself a break from trying to be "right" for a bit.
12-20-2017, 03:46 AM
(12-18-2017 04:11 PM)sheilawrites Wrote:  Hi Jules. When I maintained in the 1800s I was exercising more. I can't find a good answer about how long the effects of regular exercise remain even when there's a change. It's a complete freakin' guessing game! Sometimes I eat a few hundred cals more for a day and lose, then stick with a lower number for a week or two and nothing happens (or I gain!).

At the moment, I plan to track what I eat but try not to obsess about it. But honestly, I'm really tired of obsessing about what I eat and how I exercise. I love the support from EM2LW forums and FB, but I'm thinking of taking a break after the new year from all things "what we eat." Sometimes the pressure NOT to diet seems as stress-provoking as diet mentality! Anyone else feel that way? Maybe I'm just tired of it all and a bit stressed about the upcoming move. I do anticipate being much more active once we move - plan to get back to serious dog training (I've competed for years in obedience, agility, tracking, conformation...but have been inactive for about 7 years) and to more walking, hiking, and bicycling, and probably gentle weight training and yoga. Hard to explain why I'm really resisting all these things I used to do all the time, but I've decided that I just need to go with that for a bit longer. It's not like I'm sitting in front of the tv with donuts and Doritos, but I am "hibernating" in some ways. Self-defense, maybe? (Way more than you wanted to know, right?!?!)

I hope you're doing well!

I know what you mean with being tired of the hyperfocus on food/weight/health! I think its something that takes a long time to get rid of...and substituting a focus on dieting with a focus on not-dieting can be counterproductive it feels like. I just want to eat, and then forget about food and weight until the next time I'm hungry.
That being said, I do feel like 'the focus on not-dieting' has its place and aids in getting rid of the diet mentality...but maybe you've outgrown this phase, and are ready to move on?

It sounds like you miss your dog training, even though the time isn't right for it right now! What kind of dogs do/did you have?
12-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Quote:I know what you mean with being tired of the hyperfocus on food/weight/health! I think its something that takes a long time to get rid of...and substituting a focus on dieting with a focus on not-dieting can be counterproductive it feels like. I just want to eat, and then forget about food and weight until the next time I'm hungry.
That being said, I do feel like 'the focus on not-dieting' has its place and aids in getting rid of the diet mentality...but maybe you've outgrown this phase, and are ready to move on?

It sounds like you miss your dog training, even though the time isn't right for it right now! What kind of dogs do/did you have?

Yes, focusing on not dieting definitely helps with moving past the emphasis on low everything. I'm just a bit fed up (couldn't help myself!).

I used to breed and compete with Australian Shepherds, and I've had at least one Labrador Retriever in the mix since 1988. We adopted an elderly Golden Retriever after our last Aussie died, but lost her to cancer a year later (2014). Right now we have just our 11.5-yr-old Lab, Lily, who is retired from competition. Not sure what I want next!
12-21-2017, 11:20 AM
pun intended, I'm sure big grin
Did you breed for just for yourself, or for customers as well?
It sounds like you've been in the game for a long time! Do you think you'd like to branch out to other breeds, or stick with aussies / retrievers?
I recently went to a retriever show in my area, and was surprised at how popular tolling retrievers were.
12-21-2017, 05:17 PM
(12-21-2017 11:20 AM)Jules Wrote:  pun intended, I'm sure big grin
Did you breed for just for yourself, or for customers as well?
It sounds like you've been in the game for a long time! Do you think you'd like to branch out to other breeds, or stick with aussies / retrievers?
I recently went to a retriever show in my area, and was surprised at how popular tolling retrievers were.

Well, I couldn't keep all the puppies! (We had 8 litters ranging from 1 to 11 puppies - the 11 litter nearly killed me :-) ). I sold mainly to competition homes where the dogs were pets/companions first but also kept busy with training and competition - a bored Aussie (canine!) is not a good thing. Bred conformation champions, agility champions, pups titled in obedience, herding, tracking, and more, several certified therapy dogs, one search and rescue dog. Had puppies all over the U.S. (Including 2 in Alaska), the Netherlands, Finland, Australia, New Zealand.

I've had a lot of breeds in my life - grew up with mixed breeds plus Chihuahuas, Scottish Deerhound, Irish Wolfhound.... I'd actually like to go a bit smaller, but then I see a great looking Aussie or Lab or Golden or Border Collie and want that, too. So I think it's going to be mostly a matter of finding the right dog, whether puppy or adult, from a breeder or rescue. Temperament is the most important thing.

Tollers have gained a lot of popularity, partly I think because of size - they're a bit smaller than Labs, Goldens, Flat-coats, Curly-coats. I think I've mentioned here that I'm a writer - wrote a number of books about dogs and cats (among other things).

I'm your basic crazy dog lady. ;-)
12-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Nothing wrong with being a dog/cat lady! My mom was a cat lady and run a rescue shelter for about 20 years (she only stopped when she passed). She loved caring for the animals!

Hey, taking an intentional break is basically going on a chill!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/