Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
High-protein Overnight Oats
01-01-2017, 12:06 PM
High-protein Overnight Oats
I love breakfast! I make 5 containers of overnight oats at a time, and I've been tweaking my recipe for several months. A lot of recipes use yogurt or Greek yogurt plus milk of some kind, but I've found that kefir works perfectly in their place. I've also found that going heavy on protein in the morning gives me lots of energy all day, and keeps me satisfied. (I do have a mid-morning snack, since I eat breakfast early.)

A lot of recipes for overnight oats use glass jars, but I use Ziploc plastic screw-top containers and am happy with them. The oats can be eaten cold, by I prefer to warm them for about 90 seconds in the microwave. The recipe is always a work in progress, but here it as I make it now (in the order in which I add the ingredients).

- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
- protein powder (I use a half scoop vanilla Isopure whey protein)
- ONE of the following: 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli OR 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup plain kefir - I use Lifeway low fat plain, but you could use full fat
- fruit: I typically use organic frozen berries - blueberries, raspberries, blackberries are my favorites; I've also used fresh fruit in season

Layer ingredients and refrigerate overnight, up to a week. Stir, heat if you like, and yum! (If you microwave it, the egg whites will cook; just break them up with your spoon and they'll "disappear.")

I've also experimented with spices & other ingredients, including nut butters, dark chocolate, and spices.

I'd love to hear what you think if you try this!

Here's the nutritional breakdown of the recipe as described, using muesli, per MFP:

calories 497
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 7 g 10 %
Saturated Fat 1 g 4 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10 mg 3 %
Sodium 332 mg 14 %
Potassium 200 mg 6 %
Total Carbohydrate 72 g 24 %
Dietary Fiber 11 g 44 %