Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What exactly does "very low calorie" mean?
01-08-2017, 08:29 PM
What exactly does "very low calorie" mean?
I've been reading and rereading the Starter Kit and other materials, and perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see a clear definition of "very low calorie diet." I see references to people eating 1,000 calories or fewer per day, and that's obviously very low. But what about higher levels that are 300-500 above BMR, and close to TDEE at lower exercise levels?

I'm still on the fence about whether to do a full reset or start with a cut. I lost 75 pounds on WW between Feb 2015 and June 2016. I was aware that WW sets the calorie bar too low, so I made sure to eat all my weekly and exercise points, and more fat than WW suggests. So while I know I was "dieting," I was eating well above BMR.

Since June, I've held steady at 144-146 pounds, eating my MFP base of 1640 + half my extra exercise calories (not all of them because MFP double dips when calculating exercise). I haven't gone back through all those records, but if memory serves, most days were in the 1650-1800 range. I came to EM2WL Nov. 21, and am currently (3rd week) eating 2020-2040/day. I've gained 4 pounds, currently trending down.

I'd like to lose another 15 pounds, and I'd really like some feedback on whether doing a cut now would be counterproductive. Is there any reason in my situation that I shouldn't do the TDEE with 15% Cut suggested as an option?

Thank you!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2017, 11:21 PM
RE: What exactly does "very low calorie" mean?
According to Wikipedia, a VLCD is a diet that consists in eating 800 calories or below per day. But I would say that any diet that is below your BMR technically is a very low calorie diet. Eating close to tdee is not VLCD, unless the person is not considering an activity level that is extremely activity to reach the tdee numbers.

To have a better perspective on if a cut before a full reset would be counterproductive, the first thing to look at is how many times a person has dieted in the past and for how long each time. I the person has been sensible through this process and not overdieted, it's ok to go ahead with a 10 to 15% cut from tdee. But if the dieting cycle went on for a while, a reset is the best way to recover the slowed down metabolism and hopefully by adding strength training during the reset to rebuild the lost muscle mass.
This pint will take you to a great article on muscle building during a deficit: http://pin.it/DaW7ZK6

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
01-09-2017, 01:06 AM
(01-08-2017 11:21 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  According to Wikipedia, a VLCD is a diet that consists in eating 800 calories or below per day. But I would say that any diet that is below your BMR technically is a very low calorie diet. Eating close to tdee is not VLCD, unless the person is not considering an activity level that is extremely activity to reach the tdee numbers.

To have a better perspective on if a cut before a full reset would be counterproductive, the first thing to look at is how many times a person has dieted in the past and for how long each time. I the person has been sensible through this process and not overdieted, it's ok to go ahead with a 10 to 15% cut from tdee. But if the dieting cycle went on for a while, a reset is the best way to recover the slowed down metabolism and hopefully by adding strength training during the reset to rebuild the lost muscle mass.
This pint will take you to a great article on muscle building during a deficit: http://pin.it/DaW7ZK6

Thanks, Tereza. That helps a lot. You're the best!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2017, 09:01 AM
My pleasure, anytime!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hungry. Eat or stick to calorie limit? KatiAuchinleck 4 2,405 09-25-2015 08:54 AM
Last Post: f551fs8