Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Kelly's Journal
03-30-2017, 09:02 AM
RE: Kelly's Journal
Week 5 check in (copied from MFP Forums in case you read over there too - this is the same):

Back to my normal level of activity this past week to week an a half. Discovered that eating the same amount I did when I was extra active caused me to surpass my TDEE in eating. Finally took some pictures that I will look at somewhere down the line.

Fitbit TDEE: 2300
EM2WL: Moderate TDEE: 2500
MFP TDEE (no exercise): 2210
Actual Calories eaten: 2725 avg per day.

Starting weight 197.8
Last Weeks Weight: 197.8
Today's weight 200.9

Given that I was very active at the 2650 for two weeks when I didn't gain and moving up to 2725 caused a pretty big jump (though some of that is female monthly water!) and I am back to moderately active , my normal TDEE is going to be right around 2500-2600 so the EM2WL Calculator is right on when I calculate my activity correctly. happy

So going to call my TDEE 2550 tested and confirmed so that is where I will sit for a while. I will eat any extra needed for "above my normal" activity as well. My Focus is going to be on eating "real" foods to hit my macros, more complex carbs, less white carbs and try and hit my protein goals with meat/cheese/nuts instead of relying so heavily on the protein bars.

I did my Monthly measurements this past Sunday morning.
Measurements results:
Starting Feb 23, 17: Mar 26
Neck: 14.5: 14.5
Biceps: 14: 13.5
Chest: 44: 43.5
Waist: 40: 39.5
Belly Button: 43: 43.5
Hips: 48: 47.5
Thigh: 25: 25
Calf: 14: 14

A little change here and there but pretty much steady for the month of determining my TDEE. The arm change is for sure fat gone - I can see it and feel it happy Hubby says I feel firmer and he can see they increase in calories/protein has been good for me.

New Goals:
Calories per day: 2550 (at TDEE) (padded as needed for unexpected activity based on Fitbit)
Increase whole foods, decrease white flour and sugar foods
Eat more real protein (and fiber) and fewer protein bars.
Continue workout routine as normal. Get up and move around more at work, add in some body weight exercises as I can during the day.

Kelly
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Excellent plan, Kelly!

Measurements and husband's comments sure show that increasing cals and protein was the way to go! When our TDEE is calculated at a high activity level, I should be readjusted if our activity slows down for sure. The same way we need to increase cals if activity level increases.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
04-06-2017, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 01:56 PM by kcmsmith0405.)
Week 6 check in (reposted from MFP):

Fitbit TDEE: 2505 (swapped to logging exercise in MFP with fitbit numbers so it adds the exercise in)
EM2WL Moderate TDEE: 2519
MFP Base: 2290 MFP With exercise: 2575
Daily goal last week: 2550
Actual Calories eaten avg per day:2673

Starting Weight: 197.8
Last week 200.9
Today's weight 205

4 lb gain this week and 7.2 lbs over 2 weeks - probably 3 of it is water from TOM. Some of it is for sure muscle, but I have been overeating as well, so some of it is fat.

Time to lower again and eat at the TDEE that seems to have converged with all my calculations to about 2500. So glad I did it this way - now I KNOW how much I can really eat before I start to gain steadily. I was also right about how much extra I was burning from my 2 overly active weeks as well. So I am good as estimating what my calorie intake needs to be.

So moving down my goal to 2500 a day for this next week, it was 2550 for last week and I over ate with birthday celebrations. I admit I have been going wild with food consumption and it has been fun LOL. Lets hope the water goes as well as the inches gained over this next week and I can settle in at 2500 for a bit before I think about a cut. Continuing on with the macro goals as well and still need to add in more veggies and eat less sugar.

Kelly
04-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Kelly, it is so awesome that you had the courage to test your TDEE! It shows that weight trend is not just erratic, but instead predictable and changeable.

Are you doing a full reset now that you've determined your true TDEE?
04-07-2017, 11:02 AM
@Jules. I will count all previous weeks that I have been at or above my TDEE, and I am shooting for 8 weeks minimum at TDEE. I was at around 2000 per day before I started this, so my metabolism was not severely damaged. I just want to have a good solid starting point where I am sure I am cutting from what I actually burn. So a reset yes, but probably not 12 weeks long - though with everything going on in my life it may end up at 12 week+ anyhow LOL.

Kelly
04-12-2017, 10:31 AM
I'm hurting this past week. I have a Non-Specific form of Spondyloarthrpy NSpA (read weird spinal and big joint arthritis). My mom had Ankylosing Spondylitis - and its know to be hereditary, and since I have had the lower back arthitis for going on 7 or 8 years now my doc think it is probably that.

Anyhow this week has been more painful than usual Not sure why. My biggest issue is my right shoulder and knee. They are not acute injuries, so I can push through some of the pain, but the shoulder bugs me all day long and even when I am trying to sleep. I can just not get comfortable. Pushups hurt as well - though not usually till after I am done with them. I have been on a low dose of Cataflam (1 a day) and yesterday I took two. Thinking I am going to take 2 today as well. I can go up to as much as 3 per day, but I don't want to max out. I think this may be a flare - so hopefully if I make it through I will feel good again until the next flare.

The problem is the pain also saps my energy... so I am struggling not to eat sugar for energy (when I am low energy I crave sugar and simple carbs). Thank goodness for protein powder happy Now I need some form of protein coffee hehe. My doc wants me to lose more weight to take the load off my joints (back and knee), I told him about upping the calories and doing bettter, he was on board with it but said I still need to cut in the near future and lose that last 30 lbs.

Anyhow - just wanted to gripe a bit... feeling down, but staying on track.

Kelly
04-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Reposted from MFP
Week 7 check in (Wow has it really been that long!):

Fitbit TDEE: 2457
EM2WL Moderate TDEE: 2501
MFP Base: 2240 MFP TDEE (With exercise): 2562
Actual Calories eaten avg per day:2540 - YAY finally hit my goal and my macros were right on track all but Sat and Sunday.

Last week 205
Today's weight 202.4

2.6 lbs of water loss this week and 4.6 lb gain overall - no change in measurements. So hopefully that was muscle gain happy.

NSV - I can feel the muscle under the fat now my body feels firmer instead of soft happy, continued energy when working out - even when my joints are aching.

This week felt like a cut and was actually a bit of a struggle. Mostly because I way overdid it on the weekend and had to cut the rest of the days to make up for it (@heybales - thanks for the tip about that!!). I am still not interested in cutting (well I want to lose some fat but I am enjoying eating far too much). This week was also a HUGE arthritis flare and I (still) hurt a lot and craved carbs for the fatigue the pain causes. So that makes the victory of staying at TDEE and keeping good macros even better.

Since this is a holiday weekend I am going to shoot to stay at TDEE with 2550 cals per day. That will give me some wiggle room to overeat at my family Easter dinner on Saturday night.
04-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Excellent plan for the holiday, Kelly!

Weight gain and no gain on the measurement tape is lean mass gain, yay happy
Great job listening to your body and working your calories!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
04-14-2017, 08:21 AM
YAY for lean mass gain big grin
04-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Week 8 check in :

Fitbit TDEE: 2503
EM2WL Moderate TDEE: 2501
MFP Base: 2240 MFP TDEE (With exercise): 2575
Actual Calories eaten avg per day:2650 - Estimated - didn't track well (or at all) for 3 days.. Had a couple of really intense workout days which should have burned off most of the extra calories not cut.

Last week 202.4
Today's weight 203.3 (probably not valid - very sore muscles from a double workout on Tuesday).

This weeks Calorie goal 2550

My other (probably more important) goal is to not go over 2550 on Saturday or Sunday and to stay in my MFP calories allowed (base plus exercise) on Friday. Being able to do these two things would go a long way toward helping me be ready to cut. So no more splurging on the weekend (!). I've done good cutting during the week to make up for the weekends, but that won't work when I do my actual cut - I will have to cut too much off the weekdays.

If I make this goal I will look at 10% cut for week 9. (ewww hehe)

Kelly

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  JT's Journal jturner2 4 23 Yesterday 10:21 PM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Yasmine's Journal Yas2 96 12,951 07-08-2017 09:44 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Finally Teachertoo's journal teachertoo 40 7,139 04-17-2017 06:56 AM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  Maggie's Journal MaggieG123 306 41,340 04-13-2017 02:41 PM