Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Kelly's Journal
06-01-2017, 08:50 AM
RE: Kelly's Journal
Thanks for the update, Kelly!
I'm happy to hear that you are healing well! And 4 lbs is barely anything, it will be gone in a jiff! How fun to be going to Ireland, I hope you guys have a blast!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Recovered from surgery that was about 8.5 weeks ago. Went to Ireland on vacation at the 6 week mark post-surgery. Had a wonderful time, walked a lot ate far too many carbs. I am struggling with carb addiction again. My goals this week are to eat at 2250 per day and 30% protein. I also need to cut out the excessive sugar and grains I have become accustomed to, Irish food is not high protein LOL. 10 lb gain over 8 weeks. So now I am up to needing to lose 40 instead of 30 lbs.

I am really fighting the urge to go low carb again - I just keep reminding myself of how hard it was to workout eating that way. I am back to my normal Martial Arts workouts, the schedule will be off because of the 4th of July holiday, but that is actually good as it gives my sore muscles time to recover before the next workout.

Right now I am just trying to not become depressed about the gain and muscle loss form the surgery. It was the main reason I was dreading having to have it.

I need to find some self control (to stop the excess sugar and carbs) without severe restriction which is how I used to lose the extra weight. I want to do this long term and with a good healthy attitude.
07-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Oh I forgot to mention, on top of everything else I found out right before I left for vacation that I have a bursal side tear in the rotator cuff in my right shoulder (apparently bursal side tears cause more pain, but less range of motion loss?). He gave me a cortisol shot but seemed to think I would need surgery. That is not possible for at least a year so I am going to go to physical therapy and see if that helps with the pain. The shot worked for a few weeks but already seems to be wearing off. This puts a damper on some things for me, though push-ups are actually still possible, I just have pain afterwards.
07-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Go to hear from you, Kelly!

I'm sorry to hear about the side tear, ugh, but I am happy to hear that you recovered well from your surgery and that you had a great time in Ireland!

I know how much you just want to jump back in and get things going, but remember, you are working on a life journey, go step by step. How about focusing on adding instead of removing? As in work on adding more protein, thus way carbs and sugar will naturally be outcrowded. It may seem like the same thing, but this shift of focus makes a huge difference, trust me.

Also focus on adding muscle and not on losing weight. Kiki gave a great lecture last week on a Fat Loss goals a shifting your focus. This is the link for those who didn't attend the webinar: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/duplicate-of-...s/register
It's very eye opening!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
07-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Thanks Tereza! I find that fixing the protein does stop the over-carbing! I will give that link a watch too.
07-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Check-in time.

I was looking at my trend weight since I started EM2WL. It goes continuously upward. Part of that is eating over my TDEE (vacation and surgery +10 lbs) and part of that I think is my TDEE is maybe a bit lower so closer to 2350 or 2400 than 2550 since the upward trend was over the whole 5 months and not just the 8 weeks of surgery and vacation. Fitbit has always said I was at 2200-2300, so with the body-weight martial arts training 2400 is probably really close.

I am trying something different by setting my TDEE to halfway between lightly active and Sedentary (with the 10% cut built in) - aka 1900 calories per day (2150 is probably where my day to day - non-workout activity really is). Then, I am logging my exercise and eating back my exercise calories.

So far this week that is working really well for me - and it encourages me to work out as well since I get more food on workout days. I also find that on the days I do not work out or do more activity that usual, 1900 really is enough.

It also allowed me to notice that I do better if I cut a little from every meal and I cut out morning and evening snacks, which I haven't needed since early on in my reset anyway. I still keep my afternoon protein bar snack - otherwise I go home and eat out the whole kitchen LOL.

So my results so far this week:
Down 1 lb, but more importantly I feel less bloated, and my pants are starting to fit better again. I still have energy for workouts, though getting back in shape after an 8 week break is a bit painful LOL. I will have averages and such next week since I only just started this on Monday.

Kelly

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Yasmine's Journal Yas2 96 11,278 07-08-2017 09:44 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Finally Teachertoo's journal teachertoo 40 6,397 04-17-2017 06:56 AM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  Maggie's Journal MaggieG123 306 38,036 04-13-2017 02:41 PM
Last Post: kcmsmith0405
  Anjacina's Journal Anjacina 3 653 03-23-2017 10:43 AM