Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fueling Life
05-12-2017, 10:47 PM
RE: Fueling Life
I think we are all chickens in this area - I certainly am.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Hi everyone!
Thanks Fiona happy

An update:
Week 1: Avg Cals 1857, 56.0 kg
Week 2: Avg Cals 1812, 56.4 kg
Week 3: didn't track
Week 4: Avg Cals 1785, 56.1 kg
Week 5: Avg Cals 1910, 56.4 kg
Week 6: Avg Cals 2070, 56.6 kg
Week 7: Avg Cals 1942, 56.9 kg
Week 8: Avg Cals 2035, 56.4 kg
Week 9: Avg Cals 2128, 56.7 kg
Week 10: Avg Cals 2121, 56.7 kg
Week 11: Avg Cals 2207, 56.7 kg
Week 12: Avg Cals 2214, 56.6 kg
Week 13: Avg Cals 2254, 56.5 kg
Week 14: Avg Cals 2231, 57.1 kg (period ?)
Week 15: Avg Cals 2157, 57.0 kg

I'm feeling good - better than last week anyway. Workouts have been great. I believe I'm at my TDEE with 2200 (or slightly above, the next few weeks will tell) as I've very full, I only reached 2300 with excess sweets lol, and I felt blah with 2300. So I think I've been resetting for 5 weeks now. I'm going to take my time resetting, probably hang around 2200 kcal for ~20 weeks for good measure.
Hope you are all doing well!
05-23-2017, 06:17 AM
That seems like a great idea Jules. Then you can see what happens for a few weeks and then if you want to test the water by adding another 50 or 100 cals you can then. Working out with weights and raising the weight may change things down the track too.

You have been pretty consistent over the last few weeks ... in fact, looking at your trend - could it be possible that the weight you have gained is mostly muscle? Did you take measurements or a photo at the beginning?

Have you seen the study posted on the FB group. I found it really interesting. Here is the link. It would be interesting to see your take on it as you are used to reading these studies.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/ful...le/1103993

I checked out the graphs too and it looked to me that some of the high and normal protein individuals in the group had peaked with their weight gain and had started to level and a few had started to trend slightly downwards. I wonder what would have happened if the study had gone for another few weeks?

I am looking forward to hearing how you go over the next few weeks - you are doing so well :-)
05-23-2017, 10:43 AM
Thanks for your input Fiona, I appreciate it happy I hope I can just cruise along the next couple of weeks. Mentally, I feel like my relationship with food is getting better...slowly. I still get anxious about food choices, but less often. That's for sure another reason why I want to stick to TDEE for a while, just to get some balance, regarding the mental aspect of eating and not stressing over it.

it's possible that it's muscle mass, I should recheck my measurements! I'm skeptical though haha. I'm sure there's some fat. but as it's only 1 kg from where I started, so I really don't mind. When I look at it rationally, anyway, lol.

Oooh, quite interesting. The references the paper supplied are also very intriguing. This paper is not the first to determine that a lower protein diet caused less weight gain that normal/high protein (in other words, low protein supplies less usable energy for the body). BUT the trade off is that metabolic rate and muscle mass increased in the normal/high protein groups.

If we were to adapt this to normal eating rather than overfeeding, that could mean normal and higher protein intakes are beneficial for body composition and metabolic rate. To note however, 'normal'= 15%, 'high'= 25%, and high showed no benefit over normal protein intake.

There are a few drawbacks to the study, though it's overall nicely put together. The demographics of the population are definitely not optimal, there is no history of the persons, and while it seems 1000kcal/day is the norm for overfeeding studies, that is a lot of food lol. It's cool that they have only few confounding elements because they're in a metabolic unit.

Thanks for sharing, Fiona!
05-23-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm finding a plethora of studies on protein intake of 2g/kg and positive effects on body composition and metabolism.
Good to know that science supports what the wise in the fitness industry have been doing happy
06-15-2017, 07:55 AM
I recently stumbled across the 'protein intake and effect on weight gain' topic again.

https://www.sciencestrength.com/sciences...o-lose-fat

Anastasia sums it up nicely for those that are interested!
06-16-2017, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2017 01:48 PM by Tereza Toledo.)
Thanks for sharing this article, Jules! Let's keep eating the protein wink
How's everything going with you? How's lifting?

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
06-19-2017, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 11:29 AM by Jules.)
Hey Tereza, I'm doing fine, hope you are too!

I'm cruizing. Still holding steady weight wise and still eating 2100-2200 kcal. This is my 10th/12th week (depending on whether 2100 or 2200 is my current TDEE), so I'm about halfway through the reset (I'm sure I need a long reset with my history)
Lifting is still fun and definitely a highlight during the day! I'm making gains, albeit a bit slower. Work has become a bit more hectic so I think I'm switching over to 3 full body rather than a 4 day upper/lower split. I really liked candito's training plan, but I can only go 3 times a week for the next 2 months or so.
Running is also still awesome and refreshing. My races went well, so now i don't have a specific goal running wise. I'm enjoying it for now and occasionally riding my bike instead of running and practicing sprints just for the fun of it.
06-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Hi Jules
Sounds like you're doing fine! The article is interesting and the blog offers a lot more to read.
Did you ever test if your TDEE was higher than 2200?
I hope your work isn't too demanding.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Improving my quality of life... zanyzana66 93 11,761 06-16-2017 07:27 PM
Last Post: zanyzana66
Information LIFE... is my style! Let's do this!!! Saggy76 47 6,270 03-29-2016 10:16 AM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Raynn's Journey to a Healthier Life Raynn 18 11,209 07-17-2013 03:08 PM
Last Post: Kiki