Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Confessions of a Five-Year EM2WL Veteran
06-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Confessions of a Five-Year EM2WL Veteran
Hello from sunny Colorado! I’ve been following the EM2WL way of life for about five years now; and although I’ve strayed away a couple of times, I always come back. It truly is a lifestyle. Below are five years’ worth of learnings, observations, and mistakes that I’ll pass on to those of you crazy enough to read a 4,000-character post. Sidenote: I know it sounds like it, but I swear I was not paid to write this! I'm just a true believer.

To weigh or not to weigh
Some people say to weight yourself every morning. Others say to only weigh yourself once a week. Truly, there’s no right answer, only what works for you. I weigh myself every morning because I know that my weight fluctuates significantly (2+ pounds) from day to day. My bowels aren’t regular, my workouts fluctuate in intensity, and my body is super sensitive to sugar and carb-loading. Weighing daily doesn’t mess with my head too much, but for others it will, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

The “whoosh”
The “whoosh effect”... aka when you lose 3+ pounds literally overnight. It happens to some people and not to others. For me, it definitely happens. There seems to be two or so days when I feel particularly flabby, soft, and overall jiggly. And then BOOM. The scale is down 3-4 pounds and stays down.

You may not immediately start losing weight once you start cut.
Sometimes I start losing weight the first week of cut, but it’s taken as long as week 5 to see a loss, so hang in there. If you properly reset, there’s nothing to worry about. Keep your deficit at 10-15% and be patient. I've attached a graph of a reset I did last year after not tracking my calories for a while (if I don’t track I find that I don’t eat enough). I use Excel to monitor my weight and fit each week with a treadline. When the treadline is flat or goes down, I know I’m ready to start cut.

You will try to talk yourself into starting cut early. Guaranteed. Don’t do it!
There will undoubtedly be a moment during reset – usually when you’re yanking on your previously-fitting jeans – that you will say, “forget this, I’ve reset for long enough. Any reset is better than nothing. I need to get this weight off of me. I’m starting cut. Today!” As soon as you hear those words in your head, stop, take a deep breath, and tell yourself with all the love and care in your heart: “self, you’re an idiot.” I’ve talked myself into starting cut early and it never ever works. I always end up getting through several weeks of the early-cut, seeing no progress, and having to reset again, setting myself 6 weeks back when I should have just held in there and been patient.

Some people lose weight immediately once they start reset, but don’t count on being one of the lucky few.
Yes, some people’s bodies smarten up immediately. But that’s rare. Most of us have to complete a reset.

Heavy weights are good.
Don’t believe the 90’s bullsh*t about “low weights and 12-15 reps create lean muscle.” If you want lean muscle you need to lift heavy weights at 7-10 reps apiece; if you want bulky muscle you need to do 4-7 reps and add a sh*t ton of protein to your diet. I prefer the lean muscle look, yet I do bicep curls with 25 pounders. And I can assure you, my arms are not manly by any means.

EM2WL is for everyone
I’m a 27 year old female at a healthy weight, 5’8” and 135-145 lbs, yet EM2WL is perfect for me. I’ve used the EM2WL lifestyle to lose 15 pounds, 5 pounds, and to maintain. In my early 20’s I struggled with restrictive dieting and binge eating. My weight was a constant thought, and I hated that I couldn’t seem to eat “normal” like everyone else. EM2WL helped me get my eating under control and stabilize my weight. I’ve noticed recently I’ve put on a couple pounds, so I’m going through a reset/cut phase again; then I’ll go back to maintaining.

The moral of the story is: Stop skipping the birthday cake at your own birthday party (been there) and gawking at the woman at the BBQ eating a cheeseburger ("what did SHE do to deserve such a fast metabolism?"). EM2WL can work for you. Yes, it requires commitment and patience, but it will absolutely pay off.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2017, 07:05 PM
RE: Confessions of a Five-Year EM2WL Veteran
Absolutely yes yes! Although i've been with em2wl since 7to 8 months i definitely go with your words. I started seeing some differences in pics at my third cut and after 5 weeks. Consistency is the key.
Thanx for sharing.
06-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Deedy, I don't think we met before, even though we are EM2WLers for the same time. Wow, what a pleasure to read your post! I really appreciate that you shared it. You words are my words! Love it! Yes, it is a lifetime journey and yes, we can have the cheeseburger and the cake too!

I would love to share your post with the fam if it's ok with you.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
06-17-2017, 07:08 AM
You are a wise woman! So many don't make it where you are, giving up after a PERCEIVED failed cut or weight gain during reset. I'm sure your story will give them courage to hang in there. Thanks for sharing.

Trish
Don't WISH for it...WORK for it.

MFP
em2wl
06-17-2017, 08:37 PM
EVERYTHING.

This. post. is. everything.

Sooooo many people quit before ever getting to experience this kinda freedom and insight. Love it!

I'm with Tereza! I'd LOVE to feature your post from here as a guest blog on the site.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Happy Holidays from the EM2WL fam! Tereza Toledo 0 485 12-25-2016 02:06 PM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
Tongue Jc/saranharm's em2wl journal Jc_wt 217 47,909 11-05-2016 09:03 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Rebekah's EM2WL Journey Rebekah 15 4,498 04-06-2016 08:31 AM
Last Post: emma
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 1/2 OFF SALE!! AnitraSoto 8 2,330 01-09-2016 01:41 AM
Last Post: Jc_wt
  The EM2WL Strength Training Manual is 1/2 OFF - CYBER MONDAY DEAL! AnitraSoto 1 912 11-30-2015 09:08 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  True Confessions of "A Big Girl" Jerzicle 20 15,554 04-27-2014 10:21 PM
Last Post: running4myboys