Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
new gym membership coming up...
07-10-2017, 01:19 PM
new gym membership coming up...
So I wanted to add some weight training to my 4x weekly Martial arts training. I will probably do 2 days a week, I have a gym picked out, it has both machines and free weights and most importantly a lap pool - I LOVE swimming - but that will be for fun hehe). The free weights seem to be dominated by muscle bound men, but it wasn't packed, so I can fit in there if I need to. The machines were mostly empty and there were so many I didn't even know where to start.

I don't want to pay for a personal trainer - I am ok with figuring things out myself, so here is my question.

If I were to just use the weight machines what is a good all around 45 min workout? Also what weight (and by this I mean how many reps till I can't lift any more) and how many rep sets should I shoot for? I am looking to build muscle and fill in the gaps that the martial arts training leaves.

This may be a tall order question but I figured I would give it a shot happy

Kelly
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2017, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2017 11:36 PM by Tereza Toledo.)
RE: new gym membership coming up...
Hey Kelly,
New gym is always fun! I am a free weights kind of girl, but machines can be part of a good workout. I'd stick to cable machines, leg press machines, lat pulleys (sort of cable , I guess, right?) and run from ab machines laughing.

I don't have a workout in mind using machines only (none of my clients asked for machine only workouts yet), but what will count most towards you goals is periodization. In a nut shell, it would be one month high rep, lighter loads. Next medium reps, heavier loads. Third month very low reps and even heavier loads. Then start again.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
07-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Ok that helps! Yeah I don't need the ab machines thanks to sit ups, planks and various other karate workouts hehe. I also got the NROLFW for $1.99 on Kindle so I am going to read that as well happy.
07-11-2017, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2017 05:06 PM by Tereza Toledo.)
NROLFW Is a good 6 months program. I did it before trying STS and EM2WL workouts. I loved it! I just hate the part of printing and writing down the logs. I got spoiled using the EM2WL app, I just need the phone with me wink

I mentioned the ab machines because it's impressive how many people think that they are the best thing ever... if they only knew... they are fine, but the gym could have better equipment instead of them, in my opinion.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/