Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
These "Cheat Meals"
07-27-2012, 03:32 PM
These "Cheat Meals"
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the "Cheat meal" or "Cheat day". I dont feel like i need a cheat day or even a cheat meal because I dont feel deprived and if I want chocolate I enjoy a chocolate, or icecream or heck even pizza!! It might be a skinny cow chocolate or white pizza but I have it if I want it. IMO cheat days might promote bindge eating. But I wouldn't know because I dont have a cheat day. And Im not judging if you do have a cheat day, I think its the reasoning behind it I dont understand. wink

I tried every diet in the book. I tried some that weren’t in the book. I tried eating the book. It tasted better than most of the diets.

Dolly Parton
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2012, 07:29 PM
RE: These "Cheat Meals"
(07-27-2012 03:32 PM)tbellamy Wrote:  I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the "Cheat meal" or "Cheat day". I dont feel like i need a cheat day or even a cheat meal because I dont feel deprived and if I want chocolate I enjoy a chocolate, or icecream or heck even pizza!! It might be a skinny cow chocolate or white pizza but I have it if I want it. IMO cheat days might promote bindge eating. But I wouldn't know because I dont have a cheat day. And Im not judging if you do have a cheat day, I think its the reasoning behind it I dont understand. wink

I agree with you. Nor do I worry if I have a special event. For those time I try to make wise choices regarding what I eat including serving sizes. Frequently it is the first bite or two that tastes so great so I will take just enough to give me that bite or two. If I do go overboard, I acknowledge it and move on - try to add a bit more exercise (or add in that movement before going to the event) IMHO, binges occur when we do get too strict and never allow a treat. When my son was growing up, we had candy in the house. It was there and no big deal - he now has a good attitude towards it and doesn't go nuts if there is a treat around.

Susan

Susan
Confused OMG - I used to eat how little?
Find all posts by this user
07-27-2012, 10:17 PM
I used to have cheat days when I first started this process and was eating 1800 as my cut. But now 1940 or 2340 are my cut numbers (doing zigzag during my cut phase) so lI too never feel the need to have cheat days.... I can fit anything within my menu especially on Saturday because of my burn. But honestly I am so satisfied all the time I don't indulge half as much as I used to low caling.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
07-28-2012, 05:23 AM
I don't have cheat days per se, but I do take days off from logging calories every now and then. Like today I'll be taking a day off because I have a race this morning and since I'll burn a zillion calories I know that the possibility of overeating is very low. I'll be going out of town and going out to eat also, so I know that I'll very likely at least make it over my BMR for the day. Tomorrow it'll be back to business as usual. I don't know if you would consider that a cheat day? For me, I do need a break from tracking calories every now and then. I guess sometimes I feel mentally bogged down by it every now and then.

Crystal
07-29-2012, 11:05 PM
(07-27-2012 10:17 PM)Lucia Wrote:  I used to have cheat days when I first started this process and was eating 1800 as my cut. But now 1940 or 2340 are my cut numbers (doing zigzag during my cut phase) so lI too never feel the need to have cheat days.... I can fit anything within my menu especially on Saturday because of my burn. But honestly I am so satisfied all the time I don't indulge half as much as I used to low caling.

Very much agree! I also find that I'm heaps more satisfied eating more so never have the urge to binge on anything like I did on low cal. However even on my cut at 1850 I can fit chocolate or an ice cream, so generally I'll have something sweet most days.

I also feel like if I have "cheat" days they would just lead to overeating. If I have occasionally have a very hungry day or tough while I'm cutting (eg. TOM), I'll eat up to my TDEE instead with treats. That way I know I'm not going to binge, or gain weight. And on those glorious weeks where I'm eating at TDEE, treats are a given!

I know that if I started depriving myself of treats again, it would just lead to bad habits. And I also know that eating treats while cutting doesn't stop the whole process from working. So I'm a pretty happy girl these days when it comes to food. Even after months of EM2WL, my meals still feel like treats compared to my previous life of low-cal! I just ate a pretty standard lunch and it was like the best thing ever. Haha

I used to think that the meaning of life could be found in a spicy prawn sushi roll, now I am 158% sure that it is found in any type of protein. ANY type.
07-30-2012, 07:16 AM
No cheat meals for me either. With a calorie allowance of over 2000 even on cut, I can easily incorporate all the treats I want
07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
(07-30-2012 07:16 AM)EvelynNoor Wrote:  No cheat meals for me either. With a calorie allowance of over 2000 even on cut, I can easily incorporate all the treats I want

Me too! Plus the idea of "cheating" sets me up for mental failure. I am not cheating, I am living my life. If you see my diary I have treats every day! Frozen yogurt, nutella, etc. I just work it into my day and my macros.
08-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I havent had a cheat day in god knows how longhappy... with as much calories as I eat, I can have my treats in my daily target without issuehappy

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
08-20-2012, 03:20 AM
Lucia,

What's zig zagging?
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
I tried it for four weeks and found it too stressful to keep up with it. Basically you have your cut value, let's say it is 2000 a day. Well on workout days you eat 2200 but on non workout days you eat 1800. I have so much going on I have to start eating in the morning to hit goal and had times where I thought I would hit the gym and couldn't and vice versa. I personally like one calorie goal daily.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How many meals a day? BintAsim 3 3,838 09-13-2015 11:16 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto