Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vegetarian and/or Vegan with kids - looking for advice!
07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Vegetarian and/or Vegan with kids - looking for advice!
(This is also posted in another forum as well, but I want as much advice as possible!)

Well, I've been meatless for a little over 2 weeks. I've been doing nonstop reading. My latest read, The Food Revolution by John Robbins, is really helping me to see all of the risk involved in eating foods coming from the meat and dairy industries. I'm at a point where I cringe when I give my kiddos any kind of meat or dairy product. It's going to be awhile before we are able to get all dairy out. But my question is this - do you just feed your kiddos what you eat? Did any of you transition while having kiddos? Thoughts on helping kiddos to make the transition? My oldest is 5, so he does know that he's been eating meat. He's your typical kid - loves his cheese and milk. My youngest just turned a year and I've stopped giving him meat cold turkey and he's never had cow's milk and hopefully never will.

Also, my oldest stays at grandma and grandpa's house overnight about once a week or every other week. Should I expect him to stick to vegetarian or vegan (I'm vegetarian now with the idea of getting to vegan at some point) at someone else's house? How do you guys handle situations like that? Do you pack food? Do you ask people to accomodate? What about when he's older and goes to friend's houses?

Any and all thoughts on making this work for my family are appreciated! My hubby is currently wanting to do this, but just not there yet if that makes any sense. I believe that he sees this is right for us, but is just not sure how to get off of meat and dairy. That being said, he probably went close to a good week with no meat due to all of my meatless cooking before he decided to cook himself hamburger meat for tacos while I ate my black bean tacos. He said he's been praying to the porcelain god all day (sorry TMI), but he feels like his body is telling him how much the meat sucked. So I hope that he's on his way to committing fully with me. I do think he would support me in getting my oldest off of meat and dairy and not allowing my youngest to start.

I know I'm rambling, but this is all just so new!

Crystal
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2012, 04:16 PM
RE: Vegetarian and/or Vegan with kids - looking for advice!
Wow, well I am of no help because I eat meats...just organic grassfed.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
01-03-2013, 09:34 PM
RE: Vegetarian and/or Vegan with kids - looking for advice!
I have two girls ages 14 and 10 and they are both vegetarian. The three of us sat down one night about 3 years ago to watch Netflix and thought the food inc. documentary looked interesting. So we turned it on not knowing our life would change. I didn't fully expect what we saw and I told my younger daughter to cover her eyes at times. If I had known, I don't think I would have had them watch it, but at the same time, the reality is that the food industry is terrible and I think they are better off and healthier knowing the truth.

So, That's how we all became vegetarians. As for food, yes they eat what I eat. I pack their lunches everyday and their friends and family know that they don't eat meat and have been supportive. I buy organic milk, eggs, but in the real world and especially with kids it's almost impossible to eat a totally clean diet these days. Sad but true. So they will eat cheese pizza or Mac and cheese or salad. I just try to make healthy balanced stuff at home. We also still eat fish occasionally but only wild caught.

I hope this helps! Good Luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  VEGAN rastaempress 5 6,381 07-20-2012 12:15 PM
Last Post: Lucia