Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Runners - Upcoming Races
07-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Runners - Upcoming Races
I know there's several of us on here. I just completed the Bix (a 7 miler with hills). Whew! My next challenge is a half marathon (13.1 miles). My race is September 23rd! After that I will wind down my racing season this year so I can focus on building strength. I might do some 5ks here and there, but nothing huge.

What are your racing plans for the year?

Crystal
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2012, 11:37 PM
RE: Runners - Upcoming Races
I am doing a 12km on september 16th. I have NEVER done a run before (well i have entered them but have walked lol) Currently my trainer and i are doing 2 runs per week 1 which is 6.5km (and incorporates intervals) and one is 10kms. I am also trying to do quite a bit of cardio (kick boxing, cycle classes, rower, xtrainer, etc) as well as my weight sessions with my trainer and body pump classes to try and build my endurance up

kazz =]
http://kazzsjourney.com
183 pounds gone forever big grin
08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
i just completed my very first Half Marathon today! I haven't done long runs for about 6 weeks ( had been doing more HiiT and strength training) and then 2 weeks ago i decided to see how i coped with a 20km (took me 2hours and 40mins with enough left in the tank to know i could do 21.1) to see if it was worth entering the HM or not.

I had given myself the goal to cross both the start and finish line happy
To finish in no more than 2:59:59

I don't have hills to train on so i had to give myself more time to get over the ones on the course!

Well i am convinced the hill at the end of the course wasn't there for the first lap at the 10km mark!!
My partner assures me it was there but i was so strong at that point i just didn't notice it LOL

At the 20km or just over mark it almost killed me!! Even with the knowledge that there was less than 1km to go LOL

I had a bit of a meltdown at the 15km mark! But it was more a physical one than a mental one. Normally i find with whatever training session i am doing, i struggle mentally until i hit the halfway mark, be that cardio or strength! Once i get to that point i get a new surge of energy!
But this was more physical with the inclines, the strong wind blowing in my face, feeling like my chest was going to explode and i was becoming somewhat wheezy! I got a bit frustrated and thought stuff this i am walking the rest of the way hahahahah
As i kept at it, a few people going back from the turn around point, gave me thumbs up and big grins! 1 guy even stepped towards me with his hand out for a high five! happy

I managed to overcome my meltdown, did a bit of fast paced walking, and then kept going.

I am thrilled to have finished the race in 2:35:53!!! Also achieving a personal best!! big grin

I am contemplating a full marathon around may next year, but having watched the Women's Marathon on TV i don't know if i like the idea of all that collapsing and wobbling at the end hhahaha happy

There is an awesome Run on Great OCean Road here, which is a HUGE LONG winding road along the ocean, they shut the roads down to traffic for the event. It's a fairly difficult course but would be so awesome. I will give it more thought.

Going to take off where i stopped with my Lean and Fit program, doing mix of strength and some cardio in the form of HiiT for the next 8 weeks, which is what is left of the program, before i decide my next plan happy
08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
I have a 10k race in three weeks. I have only ever completed a 5k, and unfortunately have done very little to no actual training for running a full 10k. My GF and I decided to register for it as a fun way to push ourselves a little further, and we both know we have no intention of being able to run the full 10k without walking.. So our plan is to run and walk the race and enjoy ourselveshappy

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Raynn sounds like a good plan to me! You still have 2 weeks to get 2 or so long runs in. I think for a 10k if you can do 1 long run of about 7km, that will be enough to ride you over for the race. I saw a few people out yesterday doing the 10km (they had 5km,10k, and 21.1km) with friends and chatting running at a nice pace and walking at a nice pace, not just strolling along LOL

Interesting it seemed the 5km competitors were really going for it hard!
The 10km seemed to be a mix of people really going for it and people doing it more relaxed with friends.
The 21.1 was either small groups of males really pushing each other on, i later found out they were going for a sub 2hour finish.
But mostly the 21.1 seemed to be people on their own just doing their own thing at different speeds happy

Actually i saw some competitors who did the 10km then joined someone they seemed to know doing a 21.1 So i suspect the 10km was their competitive race and the 21.1 was to support a friend/ partner happy
The bibs were different colours for the different events thats how i knew who did what happy
08-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Raynn - Good luck with your race. I'll bet your strength training will pay off during your race. I'm looking forward to getting to my strength as I think it will ultimately make me a better runner too! I think it's great that you have a friend to do your race with. I would love to find someone to do my races with me - it would make it all the more fun!

Oonga - you really did fantastic with your race. It sounds like you have a good plan to take some time off, mix it up with your strength and HIIT, and then go from there.

As for me, once I've done my half, I plan to do NROLFW. There will be another half in my hometown next June, so I'm considering training for that next year. I'd also like to do an obstacle 5k next year, such as the Spartan Sprint. I figure the strength training will really pay off when it comes to doing those obstacles and the distance is only 5k, so as long as I keep up my HIIT that should be no problem. So those are a few thoughts on the horizon for me.

Crystal
08-08-2012, 10:39 AM
I had plans for getting out to run this week since I had ben gone on holidays and havent gotten any god runs in... and then I got hit with a sinus cold.. Ugh.... and then Hubby is gone all weekend campling with his friends, so Im alone with the kids... cant exactly leave them alone to go running... Bah!!

It has definitely helped though to be pretty lax about the 10k, and going into it, just expecting to run and walk it. Theres no pressure for me to kill myself in training with such little time left.. so that actually helps.. happy

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
THANKS Crystal!! big grin
I am pretty proud of my achievement and it takes a lot for me to admit that to myself, let alone in public LOL

I look forward to hearing of your HM coming up soon happy
08-09-2012, 09:01 AM
All of you are just AWESOME!!!!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
08-17-2012, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2012 09:29 AM by riouxt.)
@CrystalFueled- we sound a lot the same! I'm half heartedly training for my half marathon in September, too. Mine is on the 9th. This will be my third half. Last year I decided to take my running up a notch from 5kms so I completed two 10km races and two half marathons. The only reason I did the second marathon was because I cramped in my calf on the first one and had to walk the last 6km! So, I entered the other one for the following week and finished in a much better time (45 min faster than the first one). haha. Yes. Stubborn. I will crawl across the finish line for that darn medal...

I am just starting NROLFW and am having to take a rest day after weights so I'm not too tired for my runs, but my runs feel a lot better since hitting the weights. I'm not fatiguing as quickly. It has definitely changed my runs, though because I'm only doing 2-3 runs a week instead of 4 (last year). I'm a bit nervous about not finishing the distance. My hubby is confident I'll finish even if I walk more than I plan (usually walk for 1 min after each km), so I guess his confidence is reassuring. happy

Hope everyone's training is going well. @Raynn...have fun!!! Finishing your 10km will give you even more juice to go further!