Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is it necessary to do a TDEE break
08-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Why is it necessary to do a TDEE break
Hi, I just read a response on another post about taking a TDEE break every 12 weeks. Why is this necessary? And when you take the break, for how long and is this a full TDEE break?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
RE: Why is it necessary to do a TDEE break
The break is necessary, so your body does not adjust to your cut value as new TDEE. A lot of people are cutting for 4 weeks, then eating at TDEE for one week and so on. if you cut for longer, you should eat at TDEE for two weeks, before cutting again.
08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
It also keeps your metabolism from feeling the need to slow down and conserve too much. You may have noticed that our weight loss often slows and plateaus during different points in the weight loss journey. That's when many people slash calories. That's the perfect time to go UP in calories to TDEE for the diet break and then drop back down to cut.

And, as an aside, I can't wait for my diet break. I got so used to eating my TDEE while I did my reset that I'm actually looking forward to getting to enjoy TDEE for a week or two!

Crystal
09-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Just realized that I've been at cut for 8 weeks straight...feel my metabolism has slowed down, don't feel as hungry. Will eat at TDEE for two weeks to shake it up.

Thanks!

Nadia
This makes sense, so it has to work Cool
09-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Do you continue to exercise during this time? I sure hope so as I rather enjoy it. lol
09-19-2012, 11:49 PM
I am currently on a diet break. I hit about 8 weeks and things were not happening on the scale or measurement wise for me. And then I came to realize my TDEE was actually a bit lower than what I had based my cut on.. so rather than cut to my new 15% value first, Lucia made me realize I needed to go back up to TDEE for the break, let my body remember TDEE, and then cut back to my lower number.
So thats where I am.
I still do my normal regular activities.. I just eat morehappy
Keep in mind, for some people there might be a drop in weight on the scale.. for others, they could gain a little

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
10-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I'm just getting here. happy When you take your break, do you recalculate your new TDEE and eat at that total for a week? You wouldn't go back to the original calculation if you've since lost weight, correct?
10-01-2012, 01:36 PM
You recalculate TDEE whenever weight goes up or down by 5lbs, activity level changes, or you have a birthday wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Got it - thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink Long break :) Gemmybean 3 3,432 05-04-2016 03:26 AM
Last Post: Gemmybean
  Diet Break HeidiHoMom 10 13,297 07-23-2012 03:48 PM