Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who are the EM2WL Vegetarians/Vegans?
08-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Who are the EM2WL Vegetarians/Vegans?
I'm just curious how many of us there are who have chosen vegetarian or vegan for our lifestyle?

Right now I'm vegetarian with vegan leanings. I'm working on getting rid of dairy, but it's a process for me. I've only been vegetarian for a month, so I'm sure I could learn a lot from everyone! I was brought into this lifestyle through the documentary Forks over Knives. Also, I've known for years that I'm sensitive to dairy. I suspect that my oldest son might have a sensitivity. When I was nursing him I had to go off of all dairy to rid him of his eczema inflammation (it was pretty severe). While he's outgrown dairy, I do suspect that dairy might still be affecting him in other areas.

I have been loving all of the new food. My husband is not quite so thrilled. He's still eating his lunchmeat sandwiches and such, but he's wanting to work on transitioning to vegetarian. Anyone have any good recipes for a meat and potatoes kind of guy? He's getting grumpy about all of the lentils and bean based dishes that I've been making!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing where everyone else is coming from!

Crystal
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 04:38 PM
RE: Who are the EM2WL Vegetarians/Vegans?
I eat a plant-based diet. It is hard getting all of my calories as well as my macros in, but I'm getting better. Nice to meet you.

(08-09-2012 11:06 PM)CrystalFueled Wrote:  I'm just curious how many of us there are who have chosen vegetarian or vegan for our lifestyle?

Right now I'm vegetarian with vegan leanings. I'm working on getting rid of dairy, but it's a process for me. I've only been vegetarian for a month, so I'm sure I could learn a lot from everyone! I was brought into this lifestyle through the documentary Forks over Knives. Also, I've known for years that I'm sensitive to dairy. I suspect that my oldest son might have a sensitivity. When I was nursing him I had to go off of all dairy to rid him of his eczema inflammation (it was pretty severe). While he's outgrown dairy, I do suspect that dairy might still be affecting him in other areas.

I have been loving all of the new food. My husband is not quite so thrilled. He's still eating his lunchmeat sandwiches and such, but he's wanting to work on transitioning to vegetarian. Anyone have any good recipes for a meat and potatoes kind of guy? He's getting grumpy about all of the lentils and bean based dishes that I've been making!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing where everyone else is coming from!
10-03-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm an EM2WL vegetarian! Been getting better at getting my protein in over the past few months. I don't have much in the way of recipes to share though as luckily my other half is veggie too happy
10-03-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm vegetarian, and right now I'm basically vegan (except for greek yogurt). Protein is hard but I've come to the realization that I can only get as much as I can get if I'm totally trying! There is a lot of different research out there on protein. I'm sure it helps build muscle, but I'm lifting with "my" amount of protein and I'll probably write a post in about a year about my experience.

Right now about 15-20% of my diet is protein and about 30% is (good) fat. The rest is carbs in the form of veggies and whole grains I am focused on eliminating sugar and refined carbs right now in order to give my whole body a break.

Getting too much sugar and refined carbs is way worse than not getting 30% protein.
10-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Hello! Nice to "meet" everyone! I just realized that I've now been vegetarian for a little over 3 months. Wow! The vegetarian part has not been hard at all. I've had a few bites of meat in this time - mostly hubby insisting I taste this or that. I'm not tempted to go back at all, but I've never been a big meat eater. I'd really really like to get rid of dairy. I did good with that for awhile, but not so much in the last month or so. I used fake cheese on a recipe - wasn't so much a fan of that. I also try to avoid soy - I'm not soy free, but I won't use a lot of soy products. I'm hypothyroid so for me it feels safer to steer clear. I do kind of miss my greek yogurt. I may go back to having that.

I eat a lot of nuts, grains, and legumes to try to get protein in, but I also average a lot less protein. I'm not anti carb at all (I'm a runner), but I'd like to reduce simple carbs in my diet.

How long have all of you been vegetarian?

Crystal
01-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Stephanie. I just started and am very interested and excited. I have been a vegetarian for 3 years but I do still eat wild caught fish on occasion. I'm hoping to lose fat/gain muscle. I don't really care what the scale says. I'm okay with my size just want to look better without clothes happy

I work out pretty regularly but my eating habits weren't the best... More coffee than food but what I did eat wasnt too bad. I never eat fast food or rarely fried, good oils, and I love veggies so I think this program will work well for me once I start feeding myself more than once or twice a day, actually a lot more!

Looking forward to posting my progress!
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Welcome Stephanie! I guess it's been six months now since I've gone veggie - definitely not vegan. I tried and couldn't do it. I've even eaten meat a bit through the holidays. I've finally decided to do meat if I'm eating out or at a friend's house or once in awhile at home - so probably once or twice a week at the most. I enjoy eating veggie though and still consider myself mostly vegetarian. I would like to work towards full-veggie once again.

Crystal
09-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Is anyone doing this now as a vegan? I loved Forks Over Knives and have watched it a bunch of times. I have read The Engine 2 Diet, The Starch Solution, and Reversing Heart Disease. I still have dairy, egg whites, and fish but I am slowly transitioning to a plant based diet.
09-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Shocked RE: Who are the EM2WL Vegetarians/Vegans?
(09-12-2013 08:25 PM)Primrose Wrote:  Is anyone doing this now as a vegan? I loved Forks Over Knives and have watched it a bunch of times. I have read The Engine 2 Diet, The Starch Solution, and Reversing Heart Disease. I still have dairy, egg whites, and fish but I am slowly transitioning to a plant based diet.

Hi Primrose, I just joined the forums, have finished my reset and am in week 4 of cutting. I've been vegan for about 14 months now and was vegetarian prior to that for... a long time.

I'm not gonna lie that it can be difficult to get to 30% protein, but I usually manage to get to at least 25%. Sometimes its a little less, sometimes more. The big issue for me is dinners; my husband is vegetarian but shies away from things like tempeh and seitan, so sometimes dinners are more carby than I'd prefer. If you need recipes/ideas let me know - I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen!
10-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I've been following EM2WL since July 2012. I eat mostly vegan with some fish, very occasional dairy, and sometimes meat when I eat out and can't find anything else. I also still eat bacon a few times a month. I've been eating this way since February 2012. I love it! Meat grosses me out. I still prepare it for my husband, but I can't stomach it myself.

Feel free to find me on MFP! Same username. happy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No Vegetarians?? nwcountrygal 2 2,112 02-19-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: emma
  Vegetarians Eating More lillebanon 4 5,752 09-24-2013 03:37 AM
Last Post: JsuaMils