Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cutting... and waiting patiently...
08-28-2012, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 12:01 AM by jyska.)
RE: Cutting... and waiting patiently...
(08-27-2012 08:27 PM)Lucia Wrote:  500 cals is steep, 300 or less is better. On fb tomorrow there will be a repost regarding deficits. But you can check it out early http://www.oxygenmag.com/Community/Exper...loss.aspx.

Yeah, this stupid Mexico trip has me all in a hurry...and I have to be careful of that. I did add about 100 cals today even before I'd read this...because one of the things I'm worried about is 'undoing' all my hard work during the reset. I've probably seen the post before but I shall look again for the reminder. Thanks. happy

Nicole
~ I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Its sooo hard most days. Im trying to ignore the scale this week because TOM is due any time now and I know any fluctuations are likely from that. On top of it, I took a picture to compare to where I was in June, and there is literally no change. In fact The picture currently looks "heavier" to me. I see zero change in the pics, and that is what frustrates me the most. If the number on the scale never changed, but at least my size was, Id be thrilled.. but its not. I know when I took this journey it was going to be hard at times.. but it honestly pains me knowing that in almost 5 months, there has been no change physically. Ive been lifting for about 4 months now, and granted a lot of that was done during reset, Im honestly pissed off that based on what I have been doing in the gym, there is nothing to show for it in my body. Yes I can lift heavier than before, but my shape is not showing any success from my actions. And I think that is what is the worst.. I sit here and watch the lifting threads and see all of these people posting about how in just a month they have inches lost just beginning their programs, and here I am 5 months in and absolutely nothing has gotten smaller.

So when is it my turn, you know?

I was prepared for the frustrations during reset... I honestly was not expecting nor prepared for these kind of frustrations after cutting.

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi Raynn,

I know how frustrated you feel. Honestly, I'm pretty much right there with you (although I will be increasing cals because a 2 week bmf report this morning showed me at a 600 cal deficit!! yikes!).

I don't know if this will help you or not, but many, many years ago (about 15 years) I started on a post pregnancy diet. I hadn't 'dieted' in about 2 years previous to that. I didn't slash cals terribly at first, and my exercise was a 20 min treadmill session about 5 times a week. My weight loss during that time went like this: drop 5 lbs, 3 months nothing, drop 5 pounds, 3 months nothing, repeat, repeat, repeat. Because my body had this pattern, (which I now know was probably a nice slow loss) I started to slash cals more and more and more, and increase exercise more and more and more because I was frustrated. In the end it still took me 4 years to lose 60lbs (30 of which are back) And that is exactly why I wound up in such horrible physical and emotional shape in February of this year when I finally found EM2WL. Eating very little and exercising for hours every day.

I tell you this because it's what keeps me going whenever I get frustrated. I am frustrated that I don't see the results fast like everyone else. (as of today I am only 1 lb lost from reset end weight). But that is how God made me and I need to accept that or simply give up because I know the other way doesn't work! Been there. This weight will come off...it just might take 3 times as long as everyone else. I'm not happy about it at all - this morning I nearly cried when I saw the scale was back up again) but I hold steady and I just keep praying that God will give me the encouragement I need when I need it most so that I don't fall into the temptation to resort to old ways that will only ruin me.

Sorry...long post, but my heart always goes out to you because I understand your struggle. You aren't alone, I'm right there with you at the moment. We can do this though...focus on health, fitness and faith. Weight/inches will take care of themselves eventually.

Nicole
~ I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't.
08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I can relate... Weight Watchers started ten years ago.. took me 5 years to lose 100 pounds, a lot of up/down/up/down sort of thing.. lots of month(s) long plateaus where nothing happened and then drop even further in the cals.. blah blah blah...
It sucks definitely, especially when I see so many others around me drop weight by sneezing. Drives me insane.

But like you, I try very hard to believe in the process and know eventually things will catch up. They have to, right? But again, Ive been saying that for far too long too. I just want to shout from the roof, "when the hell is it my turn??" Why am I forever in this struggle, when so many others in similar situations can do exactly what they are supposed to and lose it all.. The strength training is honestly starting to baffle me. I fully expected after this long that there would be SOME change by now...One can only hope to wake up one day and be two sizes smaller, right??happy

My only saving grace is at least there are a few of us with this big question mark going on.. Im not alone in it, we arent alone in it..somehow things will work, right?

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
09-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Rayann are you taking pics every 4-6weeks and comparing the?

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
09-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I have taken pictures..In fact my last set was a week ago, and I actually look heavier in these ones than the ones I took in june...

Im currently on a rest week so I will give it a few more days and then weigh and measure to see where I am at...

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I had written this in pieces today, and sent it in for my blog update, but figured I should update it here too...

Started with this:
Well the scale is going down, but I am still not back to where I was almost 6 weeks ago now. Basically up and down with the same 2 pounds.
I took measurements and they are below. My first recorded measurements were done in April, probably about the time I began EMTWL and here are the changes..

Waist (at navel) up .3 inches
Natural waist - (from August) down 1 inch
Hips - up 2 inches
Thighs - down 1 inch
Arms - down .5 inch
Chest - up .5 inch
Forearm - 0 change
Calf - (from May) down 1 inch

Difference is a total of down .7 inches overall, so virtually zero change. I am happy to see the natural waist down 1 inch since August, but unfortunately because my weight, and hip measurements are up I have actually GAINED 1% BF. So that doesnt exactly make me feel great considering I have been lifting heavy for the past 4-5 months.
Yeah, not exactly the direction things are supposed to be going in..Sigh

Then I added this:
Took measurements today.. and while I am happy with a few of them going down, overall since April, I have only lost .7 inches. To top it off because my hips and my weight have gone up slightly, there is a 1%BF INCREASE. Definitely not the direction that is supposed to go. Im frustrated, upset, angry, pissed off, you name it, that I am almost 6 months into this journey and I am at a standstill with the scale and my measurements. HOWEVER, I will focus on the positives right now to remind me that even though things arent changing like I had hoped and anticipated, I do have changes. I started running in January with the C25K program. I ran my first 5k in April, and I ran my first 10k in August. I have one more 10k in two weeks. Even at 240ish pounds, I have proven I can run. I started lifting in May. Something I never really considered or had a drive to do. Now I enjoy it and I like seeing the weights get heavier. I am eating about 1000 MORE calories now than I did at the beginning of my journey. So even though the numbers arent reflecting change yet, I am NOT STARVING myself to at least maintain my weight. I will NEVER eat VLC again. There is no reason to ever eat less than my BMR again. So yes, its an incredibly frustrating and upsetting journey for me overall, but I would rather be here than where I was 6 months ago, eating so very little, being so very tired and still frustrated that the scale hasnt budged. (At least here I can eat more and wallow in pitylaughing I will not give up. And I am hopeful that things will change and trend downwards for me soon. It has to, right?

And finally this:

I spent the better part of the morning having a love/hate relationship with my results today and while it sounds like Im ok with things, Im really not. I love that I can eat more and I love that Im feeling better and healthier and such, but at 240ish pounds, Im NOT ok with a gain in BF% and Im NOT ok with no change on the scale. Ive worked really hard for everything I have done in the past 6 months, and it damn near kills me that Im still in the same position I was before, only eating more.

However, I have been wearing a Fitbit for the past 3 weeks and I just ran a calorie burn over the 21 days, and found out that my TDEE from this is about 130 calories LOWER than the online calculators have given me (2865 on scooby, compared to 2730 from the fitbit). So this translates instead of a cut of 15% taking me to 2440 from the online calculator, I should be at 2321. so thats a difference of 120 cals..
At 2440 Daily cals, my Cut was barely 10%.

Now I cant say 100% this is the reason why the scale isnt budging, but it has given me pause and I am going to adjust my cals to reflect it.
I have been working on cleaning up my diet more, getting rid of the junk, concentrating on keeping the carbs down and protein up. So I have hope that doing these small changes might start to show some results for me.

I guess we'll see in another 6 weeks

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I am so glad to hear that you are not giving up, even though the results are not as you would them like to be.

The results WILL come. I know it is frustrating that it takes such a long time, but you are on the right track.

I am still up the 10 lbs I gained from my reset as well. No changes on the scale or the measurements. But I ahem confident things will change eventually.
09-15-2012, 10:30 AM
I am taking Lucia's advice and I am going up to TDEE for a week or so before cutting down to my New Cut number. Hopefully that will help and the fat loss will get going...

I am however noticing huge strides in my strength.. Did the Body weight matrix in NROL (24 Squats, 24 Lunges, 24 Jumping Squats, 24 jumping lunges as fast as you can go).. and I completed it in a new time for me, 2:23happy My knees arent hurting as badly in the jumping lunges/squats as they were the first time I did them a few weeks ago.. so that was a nice changehappy

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
09-15-2012, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2012 02:31 PM by Lucia.)
Good morning, Nicole and Kelly and those in this thread I wanted to share with you because I know that when you are walking through the process and not seeing what you want to see it can get so frustrating. Let me tell you, I experience all the feelings and go through the same. We are just at different phases.

I have been so crazy busy, I hadn't had time to take pictures or do anything other than try to get the calories in and get myself to the gym to do my workouts. I think a part of the time I was a bit quiet, along with all the craziness of life and trying to keep up with everything, I was chasing my tail a bit with the gains and water weight and feeling a bit discouraged myself. I don't complain ever on any forum because I know it wouldn't be helpful but Kiki does get an earful from time to time.

I realize that no matter what that science is science and that the process works, it may just be that I need to be patient, I may need to tweak, I may need to just stop and rest...so I spend my time thinking about what I have been doing, if it has been for a minimum of 4 wks, where I am at this moment, ok, I don't want to ramble...anyway, as you know I did the reset for 9 wks, then I went to cut. I started the whole tdee thing at 154lbs and was really feeling great...I had been on a downward trend, then stalled and thought hey lets reset my metabolism all the way because I hadn't ever done that. Well, 9wks later I am up 4lbs and thought hey, that isn't too bad...lol...well, the next week at cut I went form 158lbs to 163lbs....like>>WHAT IN THE WORLD????? How in the world does that happen?????

Ok, with going into cut phase, I changed my workout to match my goals right, so I dropped weight a little and increased reps and also added a tadbit more cardio. So, I should be losing like I am reading about right??? I just kept going because I know it is important to be consistent:-)

Well, seven weeks into cut I said it is time for a break...BIRTHDAY WEEK and did I enjoy it...still hovering around the 163ish lbs and then my period was due the next week and the scale started creeping up...guess what I hit???? ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY POUNDS...My clothes were a little bit snug, but considering I am STILL wearing clothes that I wore when I was 147lbs...I am not complaining.

Anyway, I took pictures and I will be honest I WANTED TO CRAWL IN A CORNER. I FELT LIKE I WAS A TOTAL FARSE!!!! Here I am promoting EM2WL believing it with my whole heart...BUT AT THAT VERY MOMENT...I WAS JUST>>>ARGGGHH!!!! I can't even put the way I was feeling into words. This go round I didn't even say anything to the Kikster... BUT deep down, I just felt like something would have to give...something has to be going on...I can't explain it but something. The pictures looked almost EXACTLY like my pictures from February, not one drop of improvement anywhere. I was crushed. Now that I think about it...I really should have take that as an NSV because I was 154ish pounds back in February and had just weighed in at 170ish pounds feeling the slosh of water as I walked...lol...ok, not that bad, but you can feel where I am coming from. I didn't appreciate that the pictures looked the same, though I was HOW MUCH HEAVIER????

Ok, back to the story...Well, this cut round I decided to eat at a smaller deficit. I realized the first cut there were times I wasn't hitting my numbers (had some personal stresses and was sick with a bug during that time). So this cut I have actually been eating above the cut numbers a couple days a week (not advising anyone to do that), I have even eaten at TDEE at times during this cut.

My period has been gone a week and the water weight is finally gone and I am still hovering around the 165ish lb mark.

This morning, I got out of bed and looked in the mirror and look so lean (you know lean to me in comparison to what I had been seeing in the mirror) I thought I was going to jump on the scale and see some huge drop in weight from water or something. I weighed 166lbs! I had to take some pictures.    

The bottom line is, what I have always wanted is happening...the fat is melting off...I am not there, I have a ways to go, but it is a process. See, we want a look and if you are lifting and fueling things are happening that you just can't quite see yet because there are layers on top, BUT THE LAYERS WILL COME OFF in time.

I would NEVER have thought in my wildest dreams that I would sit at 166lbs, wearing size 4/6 ...yes wearing the same clothes while I was lifting heavy and sitting at 154lbs 3 months ago....they are fitting looser now than then...my body composition is changing. Yes, I am way heavier, but I don't LOOK way heavier.

And just to give some perspective, this was after I had my last daughter and I was 175lbs.    

So, said all that to say, Kelly especially you, I know you are frustrated that the weight isn't melting off, but I promise you there is so much going on underneath. You have lost fat and are gaining muscle. Each day you will continue to burn more and more fat and the layers will come off.

Stay encouraged and know that this is the right way, the only way... VLCD didn't work. Remember there is no time limit on this, take one day at a time we will all reach our destination eventually and be healthy at the same time!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue