Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
I'm so confused
08-12-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm so confused

I am so confused!!!! I've been to the Scooby website to get my BMR and TDEE, which are 1618 and 2509 respectively. That makes my 15% daily calorie level as 2132. Is this what I'm suppose to eat to do my reset? Or is this what I'm supposed to eat after my reset? If it's the latter, then what should I be eating to do my reset?

I find this very overwhelming. So many abbreviations. I even had a hard time figuring out what TOM was? I wondered who he was and what he had to do with the program....rofl!

I'm 56 yrs old and have been on MFP for 9 1/2 months. Started back in November. I've lost 73 pounds but I've really felt restricted with only 1200 calories a day. I've had one knee replaced and have my other knee scheduled for November. Wasn't sure I should attempt this or just keep doing what I have been doing all these months until after my surgery. But I figured what the heck. Try it and see what happens.

I'm reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women. This is the one area I've been lacking. Strength training. I've been doing cardio 5 times a week. Using the NuStep machine and swimming and water exercises. Have to have very low impact until my second knee is done. I'm bone on bone. Figured that any strength I can gain in my legs will just make recovery easier for me in December.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2012, 07:39 AM
RE: I'm so confused
Welcome Shamrock!

I just read New Rules not too long ago and am looking forward to starting soon. Remember with strength training you will keep muscle and lose fat so your loss will be slower than what you might be used to. Also, your muscles will retain water during recovery, so just know that you can't trust the number on the scale during this process. Once you're finished with your reset take measurements and pictures. Rely on those more than the scale and trust the process!

Crystal
08-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Welcome!

Your TDEE is what you eat for reset. TDEE -15% is what you eat to "cut" (aka after the reset).

I hope you found out who TOM was, LOL, and why we all despise him, lol. (too funny, by the way) wink

You are right, the strength training should help dramatically w/your knee. The stronger we are the easier our recovery time usually is wink

Take your time, enjoy the process, and feel free to come to us w/any other crazy acronym stuff that bogs ya down. We don't mind happy

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Yeh, TOM doesn't visit me anymore, THANK HEAVENS!!!!! I hated that guy! ROFL!
08-14-2012, 11:44 PM
I figured out that I was supposed to eat the TDEE but dang, I'm having a hard enough time eating my 15% cut calories. I'm so full. Been eating every 2-3 hours. Trying to keep to the 40/30/30 ratios as close as possible. Eating good foods, not junk. I feel constantly full. BUT my rings are still loose on my fingers, I have lots of energy, I'm not tired, and I sleep like a log. So, I guess things are doing well.

Think I will stay at my 15% this week, and maybe work up to my TDEE? I just don't know how I can eat any more than I am right now, without eating junk. Will have to work on this. I'm definitely enjoying the extra calories.

It's so funny how in the past, when I first started MFP, I would look up food and be amazed at how many calories I used to eat. Now, when I try to eat those calories in good food, I can barely get them all down. Must be that fact I'm eating bulkier food, higher in fiber and more satisfying than what I used to eat. Just so weird though.
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
What you're going through is very normal. Many of us who have upped our calories to TDEE felt stuffed and full in the beginning. But that feeling will go away. What's even crazier is that after a few weeks of eating TDEE many people get their appetite back and start to feel a bit ravenous. That also levels off. But it's so interesting to me how I used to feel full on 1500 calories and some days I'm still hungry at the end of the day while doing my cut, which is 800 calories more a day!

Crystal
10-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I must be at the ravenous stage now. I can't seem to get enough to eat. Problem is....I don't want the right foods anymore. I want junk! Cravings are back. I want to eat sugar sugar sugar!!!! This is driving me crazy as I cave in to my cravings and then the scale keeps going up and up. Then, I get depressed and eat more. I'm in pain from a knee that needs replacing and that makes me just want to sit. When I sit, I want to eat. When I want to eat, I want sugar. NOT A GOOD THING FOR A DIABETIC!
10-09-2012, 07:07 PM
This phase is also normal, and it too, shall pass wink

In the mean time, try keeping keeping the fats a bit higher to help control your carb/sugar cravings, and keep things regulated. Try to use your "sane-er" moments to plan out your meals, and have them readily available. And eat them at regular intervals (preferably *before* the cravings hit).

Try including some (good) fat at every meal (or supplement with a flavored fish oil - like Barleans), at least until this phase passes. That may also assist with the knee (if inflammation is making it worse), and the depression feelings.

Keep us posted..

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Confused...and getting bigger Alioop 18 19,230 07-01-2015 07:35 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  48, British and confused zyanne 2 3,804 03-13-2015 01:05 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Confused, guidance required please vandanfc 7 10,129 11-10-2014 04:58 PM
Last Post: vandanfc
  Still Confused... stoofd 1 5,038 11-05-2013 08:21 PM
Last Post: Lucia
  Excited, Scared, and Confused! Jerzicle 12 21,890 10-25-2013 02:35 PM
Last Post: Jerzicle
  Confused about starting EM2WL & Bulking/Cutting ajmccracken11 4 8,084 04-18-2013 08:59 PM
Last Post: ajmccracken11
  New and kinda confused! Erin 2 4,668 09-02-2012 08:40 PM
Last Post: Erin