Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any diabetics out there?
08-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Any diabetics out there?
I've managed to control my diabetes for years with mild exercise and moderate carb counting. But I've not managed to lose more than 20lbs without gaining it back. I'm currently in reset and eating alot but still watching carbs. Honestly, I find myself worrying more about the amount of carbs I eat than calories. I'm getting better though. Anyway, I just thought we needed a spot, lol. Anyone else EM2WL, low carb?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2012, 05:25 PM
RE: Any diabetics out there?
I'm a diabetic, too. Was on Amaryl and Metformine but doctor took me off Amaryl after I lost almost 73 pounds. I was having reactions constantly. Really, I stopped taking them way before he officially told me not to take them anymore. If I didn't, my sugars would plunge into the 50-60 range. I still take 4 Metformin ER per day. My last A1C was 5.6 !!! I was so happy as a few years before I was in the 10's! I started out in November with MFP and have gone from 285.2 to 212.4 in that time. I was getting tired of not being able to eat very much. Seemed like I was goin over my limit every weekend. So, I had a friend who turned me onto this EM2WL. Funny, but I never even thought about the fact I would be eating more food and how this would affect my diabetes....rofl! I guess I figured I may be eating more, but I'm eating more GOOD carbs than BAD carbs. Trying to stick with complex carbs. I get most of them from fruits and veggies but have oatmeal/cereal every morning and usually some other grain during the day. I never exclude any food groups. Especially the chocolate one...hehe!

Right now I'm doing a metabolism reset and figure that for the short time I will be eating all this food, it shouldn't affect my diabetes that much. I plan on starting to lift weights and continue with light cardio. I also have one knee replaced and the second scheduled to be replaced in November. So most of my cardio is light. If you'd like to friend me on MFP, my name on there is the same as on here. Shamrock9377 Once I get my metabolism reset, I will be cutting back a few more calories and hopefully watch the fat just melt off me!!! (Just had a really gross picture of that happening in my mind! Eww!)

Good luck on your journey! I will be here for you!
Mary O
08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
You're probably right that a reset won't make blood sugars go up much. I'm being careful because my monitor has disappeared and I feel better when I'm watching my carbs. Most of my carbs right now come from veggies, including some potatoes, but I've cut alot of bread out. I've also been working out cutting dairy as much as possible because I've developed an intolerance to it.
10-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I drink Lactose free milk now. But after upping calories, I've now started having cravings for sugar!!! I just want to sit and eat bags of candy! One cookie or bite size candy bar doesn't do it for me anymore. Driving me nuts!
10-14-2012, 05:33 AM
(08-13-2012 05:25 PM)Shamrock9377 Wrote:  My last A1C was 5.6 !!! I was so happy as a few years before I was in the 10's!

5.6 is a fantastic HbA1c to have. Well done you!
10-14-2012, 09:30 PM
(10-14-2012 05:33 AM)EvelynNoor Wrote:  
(08-13-2012 05:25 PM)Shamrock9377 Wrote:  My last A1C was 5.6 !!! I was so happy as a few years before I was in the 10's!

5.6 is a fantastic HbA1c to have. Well done you!

Wow that is a great A1C. My son is a type 1 diabetic diagnosed last year. It has been a challenge. He just went on the pump and it is a bit easier. Hope his number is better this next visit.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
02-12-2015, 05:39 AM
The delicate and tender mango leaves can be used to treat diabetes by regulating insulin levels in the blood. They can also help improve blood lipid profiles.
06-02-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm type 1. Started upping calories two weeks ago. Been on 1200 for 2 years. Obviously, I need to do a reset. I'm on the pump, and use a CGM. so far, the weight has maintained pretty well. It's hard to wrap my head around eating more when I've been told all my life not to.