Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Homeschooling Mamas
08-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Homeschooling Mamas
I know there's several of us in the EM2WL group that are homeschooling mamas! I'm gearing up to start the year. I'm homeschooling my oldest - we'll be starting Kindergarten, so this is our first homeschooling year. Additionally, I'll be homeschooling one of my daycare kiddos alongside him for Kindergarten. It ought to be interesting, especially since they feed into one another's goofiness when they decide not to listen. Oy - I'm really in for it!

I've decided to start off light to get my feet wet. I'm starting them on learning to read first using The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. Once I feel like they're getting the hang of school time and we feel ready I'll add in our math. We're using Singapore math. We also have a phonics book, MCP Plaid Phonics, should it be necessary/useful. Later in the year we'll do handwriting. We're using Handwriting Without Tears. I like both WTM and CHarlotte Mason in theory, so I'm kind of merging the two ideas.

So who else is schooling this year and what are you doing? Any words of wisdom for a newbie?

Crystal
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
RE: Homeschooling Mamas
You know I'm a fellow HS momma! big grin

My baby boy is the equivalent of 10th grade this year, been HS'd the whole time. I'm so sad that he's almost done, Sad lol

He's mommas boy, for sure happy.

My biggest peace of advice for new HS mommies are to *literally* enjoy every minute. It's such a unique experience, don't let it fly by getting caught up in the mundaness of "school at home", go on lots of field trips, take advantage of every teachable moment, answer EVERY question (whether on topic or not, they are most absorbent when *they* initiate the "lesson")

With boys, hands-on, hands-on, hands-on, lol. Keep anything "schoolish" in nature either short and sweet, or non-existent, lol. The less they "realize" they're learning, the better, lol. Be creative/sneaky. wink

I could go on forever, lol (as I'm sure you know about me by now wink ). The brain of boys was another one of those "weird" topics that I got cheap thrills researching over the last ten years tongue. yes, I'm a true geek...but DS and I butt heads SO hard in the beginning, that I had to stop & learn how he operated, vs forcing him to do it my way, or I'd have lost a much larger battle.

So my final word would be to just keep going, even when you feel discouraged (and you will), but I honestly wouldn't trade one moment (even the self doubting ones) for the world. wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm a homeschooling mom too. My son is starting 2nd grade this year and my daughter is starting Kindergarten. I love your advice, Kiki! I have definitely had moments where I have my doubts, but each day I am more sure that this is the right path for us. I feel like I have learned more teaching him than I ever did in school! My sister lives around the corner from us and she has 7 kids. She has homeschooled the whole way and her oldest is just starting his PhD program and her second oldest just started college. Her baby is only 3. It's nice to have her family to do field trips and activities together.

Crystal, I like your plan to slowly add in other areas of study. I'm still finalizing my curriculum for the year. I'm not planning to start until mid September. If you like Charlotte Mason, check out Language Lessons for Little Ones. It is one of my favorite books to use. I love Timberdoodle as a resource but they are pretty pricey. I can often find the books cheaper elsewhere. I also like the Explode the Code books for phonics. My daughter did Getting Ready for the Code last year because she was so hungry to do school with her big brother. I like to look at Timberdoodle's Complete Curriculum packages for ideas but I don't order complete curriculums. I agree with Kiki though that I try to keep things pretty light with my little ones. I really emphasize that any time we are learning, it is school. When we grocery shop we talk about prices. I write a list and have my son find the items on the list and cross them off. I feel that for Kindergarteners and even first graders, their play is their work. My favorite thing we do is read out loud each night. We read great chapter books, even ones that may seem a little old for my daughter. It's amazing what they understand. We read the whole Little House series last year and it was so fun. My husband was totally into them too. I find reading out loud as a family gives us a "shared culture" if that makes sense. We refer all the time as a family to things we have read about and in our history studies we are always comparing to when things occurred in books we've read.

I obviously could go on and on tootongue I'm so glad you started this thread!
08-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:I feel that for Kindergarteners and even first graders, their play is their work.

Well worth repeating big grin

I would highly recommend reading anything by the late Dr. Raymond (and his wife Dorothy) Moore. His books really opened my eyes to so many things.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm a homeschooling Mama too! My son is 6. We started K last year at a regular school and quickly pulled him out of the program. He was not happy at all and his spark for learning was getting extinguished. Sad We ended up doing K math and 1st grade ELA as he's a pretty smart cookie. We are lucky enough to be with a charter program this year that pays for our classes and curriculum (AWESOME!!!). I'm going with Singapore math (1st grade) and K-12 ELA (his placement test with them showed him on a 2nd grade level...we'll see how that goes). It's been an interesting adventure but this year I feel a LOT more confident about the whole thing. Last year we were sort of thrown into it and I felt very lost.

My advice is let them learn through play as much as they can. Make it fun! Also tap into any homeschooling resources you can find in your community. Sometimes just having other homeschoolers close by makes all the difference! Enjoy it and let them enjoy it too!
08-15-2012, 07:12 AM
I am not home schooling all the way but Dh and I are raising our kids trilingual. So I am teaching them German and Dh Arabic (which is probably the harder part since the alphabet is different and they are reading from right to left). BUT given that our oldest is only 5 she can read fluently in all three languages. (English she learns in school)
I don't think I could do pure home schooling. Especially sine my girls really enjoy the social part of school. But I really admire you girls doing it all the way!
08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I am a homeschooling momma too...we are in our eighth year and just started this year on Monday. First week has been going great as long as I stay off forums, lol! For my three oldest ones, we do my fathers world which is a multiage, unit study type approach that covers everything except speilling and math. We supplement with sequential spelling, institute for excellence in writing, and Saxon math. For my youngest 2(ore k and 1st grade) we are doing sonlight core 1 andsupplementing with reading eggs, explode the code and Sam math. I think that about covers wveruthing, feel free to message me if you have additional questions. My ultimate advice is to keep things simple, we tend to be ovzealous in the beginning and overwhelm our kids a d ourselves. Teach your kids to enjoy reading and the test will be much easier!
08-16-2012, 12:29 AM
I really feel I would enjoy homeschooling and (as my DH is a public school teacher) feel my children would get a better, more thorough and well-rounded education if we home-schooled. DH is really not into the idea, and I understand some of his reservations, but in our area, there are so many homeschooling groups and co-ops that I feel the social concerns he has would not really be an issue. With all of the bullying he dealt with growing up, I would think he would welcome the idea of our children not having to deal with that (and many other school-related social issues). But he thinks it's too "weird", I guess. Any of you deal with this with your SO's?
08-16-2012, 12:35 AM
I should mention, right now we only have one child and he just turned two, so we have some time to decide. He already knows letters and numbers by sight, shapes, colors, etc. Not that I think knowing these things makes him "gifted," but I see what great teachers we can be to him in various ways, and it inspires me to want to continue that throughout his life. I also don't want him to end up bored in a classroom where he is not challenged, which I know can be the case in some public schools. Anyhow, I would love any advice you have about talking to my husband. happy
08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
I am a HS mom, too! happy We are preparing for our 15th year. I have two grown children, and my final child will be in the 11th grade this year. On tap for us this year is: Greek 3, Advanced Physics, Pre-calculus, Drafting, Analyzing Literature, and US History. Phew! Gonna be a biggie!

I highly recommend getting involved in a local co-op. It's great for both moms and kids. It was so much fun doing cow eye dissections with a group. happy If there isn't one in your area, give me a shout and I can give you some pointers on getting one started. I ran our local group for over 10 years which had over 100 families. It's a great way to connect with like-minded families.

Another recommendation is to take it one year at a time. If I thought when I first started that I would be committing to the entire school journey, I may have freaked out a bit. wink

My all time favorite curriculum that I used for younger years was stuff by Eagles Wings (Susan Mortimer and Betty Smith - authors). They are a couple of home school moms who put together some great, flexible, and affordable curriculum. FWIW.

Design Dedication - my hobby happy
Home Creations Candle Co - my second hobby happy