Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Upping Cals - What to expect & why you need patience...
09-03-2013, 07:20 AM
RE: Upping Cals - What to expect & why you need patience...
Sounds like a plan Lucy! I've done the binge thing. HORRIBLE! It's been more than a year since I've binged and it feels great to have put it behind me. Enjoy your trip!

Trish
Don't WISH for it...WORK for it.

MFP
em2wl
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I was just sitting thinking the other night, and it just dawned on me and really hit home this time, that this binge eating isn't 'normal' eating. It's a reaction to the strict diet I am forcing on myself, and the fact that I have basically been starving for 10 years. It's my body's way of trying to get the nutrients it needs. So I can't wait to get back from holiday and really give this a go. Looking forward to eating lots of healthy food I usually avoid due to calories - natural yoghurt, avocado, nuts, sweet potato - and looking forward to not feeling hungry all the time! And not being obsessed with food.
01-18-2014, 12:17 AM
This really helps to ease some of my concern and worries as to being headed in the right direction. Now if I can come close to meeting my calorie intake...
02-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Hello everyone!

I am starting my journey and have done lots of reading, calculated my BMR (1375) and TDEE (1812), and believe before upping my cals I was eating anywhere from 1200-1400. I am allergic to corn (corn flour, corn meal, masa, corn starch) so my diet, although not high enough in cals, is already pretty clean. I have started eating at a 15% cut from TDEE, as well as beginning a strength training program 3x/week plus 1 cardio day (45 min walk).

I'm 5'4" , 138 lbs. I use myfitnesspal to log calories, adjusted to EM2WL macros at my 15% cut.

I just figured out today from my reading that I should do periodization, but my question is: can eating at a 15% cut be considered bulking, or do I have to eat at TDEE during my bulk phase?

I figured that after eating at a 15% cut for 6 weeks, I would be able to determine whether a reset is necessary at that point if I haven't gained. I guess that's because I assume I will gain weight even eating at the cut simply because I've increased my cals, therefore I should be able to bulk eating at a 15% cut. Now that I type it out, it doesn't seem possible! But I'd love to know if I'm thinking about this correctly or not.

I love your approach, the way you motivate, and the community you've created. Thank you for all you're doing.

Janice

Redeemed, Restored, Forgiven

My MFP Diary
02-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi and welcome!! happy

We're excited to have you here happy dance

Bulking is surplus eating, so you'd have to be *above* TDEE. Cutting is for fat loss, so you eat under TDEE (TDEE - 15%). You shouldn't technically gain eating at cut, other than the initial (water weight) adjustment period. If you're experiencing true gain, then you may likely need a reset, as your body has adapted to lower cals.

In that case you could *treat* your increase in cals like a bulk, by lifting heavy, but it technically isn't one. wink

Hope that helps?

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks Kiki!!

I think I follow you, but let me work through my confusion.

I guess this is where definitions of "cut" and "maintenance" are tricky. I have not been eating consistently at maintenance or bulk levels. I've been eating lower than the "cut value" I just started eating at. Not strict about it, I've definitely had my pizza/beer meals (almost weekly) and haven't been counting calories for some time. But I know that because of my corn allergy I have to be picky and have desired to eat less to try to lose weight/inches (I avoid simple carbs and work at getting decent protein both due to the allergy and due to fear of gaining fat weight). So based on my eating habits I assume I was usually eating under the cals I have just begun eating (TDEE -15%).

Sounds like you're saying I shouldn't gain at TDEE -15%. But that's assuming it's a true "cut"- meaning, assuming it's less than I was eating before. I feel pretty certain it's not. Mainly because it's been hard to eat more to reach my cals at this new level.

If I do gain while eating at TDEE -15%, you say it's a sign I may need to reset. Which I'll do if necessary. But then you said I could treat my gain like a bulk as long as I'm lifting heavy. I would love to count it as a bulk if I really could gain muscle at this cal intake level. I guess my uncertainty lies in whether it's possible.

Perhaps not knowing exactly how much I was eating before is the problem. I assume it was low because now that I'm counting, it's hard to eat this much.

Geez! Listen to me! I'm still afraid to eat! But you gotta cut my some slack. It's hard to eat with a corn allergy. happy

Janice

My MFP Diary
02-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Kiki-

I just came across this thread from about a year ago and your response there helps to clear up my confusion as well.

If I'm eating more now and lifting heavy, the muscle will come. I can always increase cals if my bulk tapers off before I'm happy with the gain. Then, I can do a maintenance week, then start cutting.

I like the thought of a 3-4 month bulk/ 3-4 month cut cycle. If I can stick with it, I could start to see some transformation by July!

Janice

My MFP Diary
11-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Hi Kiki,

I am stuck and stuck badly - I am practically living off raw food (couple of fruits) and little of other food - working out 1-2 hrs on an (almost) daily basis but still now since last few months my weight has started to increase rather than stay the same.
As I spent a lot of time getting it down, I am really terrified - I tell myself daily it does not matter - I should eat but don't feel like looking at food now. Try to make all kind of excuses not to eat - force myself to eat and then feel really guilty. Try to have breakfast (skipping that at times or having an apple), have a light lunch (yogurt/some fruit) and a non existent dinner.
I do feel hungry after my workout or my walk (1-1.5 hrs) but before when I used to ensure I eat sensibly, I have started cutting down on that too now.
I am really not sure what to do - I know I need to eat but somehow I am not able to.
Please advice/help
11-07-2014, 01:47 AM
Hi Delilah!

I'm so sorry to hear about you feeling bad about eating. Healthy fuel is such a wonderful thing for your body.

Are you currently tracking your cals? It sounds like you've allowed yourself to drop dangerously low. Sad

Have you ever seen a dietician about eating disorders in the past? Many of us come from an ED mentality when we begin this journey (sadly, diets really perpetuate this), so it's natural to have some resistance to eating more at first. You are on the right track by realizing that your habits are leading you in the wrong direction. You have to be fully convinced that eating less is not the answer.

Your mental and physical healing at this point will require proper amounts of food. When we allow our eating to diminish down to next to nothing, our body begins to store fat in the places we don't want, while shutting down our metabolic processes and becoming catabolic (eating itself).

If we allow our bodies to become catabolic, our muscle, bone, and even brains are at risk. Yes..our brains! They will shrink from lack of food.

Could you possibly begin with some small additions of good fats? That will help you to increase cals without actually having to stomach more food than you can handle. Or if you are tracking your food, adding only 25 or so calories "extra" per day each week. That's a small enough amount that it won't cause a weight gain, or upset your digestive tract, but will allow you to slowly increase your cals to a sufficient amount. It doesn't even have to be every week. Every other week if that scares you. Break it into doable (for you) increments and take as long as you need. So long as your ultimate goal is to your full TDEE.

I would also really consider seeing a dietician that specializes in ED. If you need a recommendation, let me know. It can be hard to find a trusted person to work with, but your eating is teetering a really dangerous path and I would hate to see you experience the insane backlash of fat gain and health problems that stem from UNDEReating. Once you head down that path, it's a long and bumpy, painful road back to healing.

~Kiki

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Thank you for explaining this. I know I have a long journey ahead. Learning and helping others along the way. We can do this. We can pick ourselves up and dust off the old "diets" that have been weighing us down!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need help with activity and upping calories Snezza 32 6,827 01-10-2017 11:27 PM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Will slowly upping calories cause less weight gain? FionaSchipke 2 1,140 12-01-2016 03:43 PM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  Upping those calories.... WL44 55 12,810 10-14-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: WL44
  What to expect when I cut Dakota 27 9,855 07-29-2015 07:02 PM
Last Post: Dakota
  eat back cals? mjj79 2 1,461 07-27-2015 10:41 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Help with Eating the TDEE or cut Cals Rusty 5 7,436 09-03-2013 01:04 PM
Last Post: eva552
  Not clear on what to expect when doing NROLFW while starting my reset! ajmccracken11 2 3,588 04-24-2013 03:21 PM
Last Post: ajmccracken11
  What to expect and do I need a reset? BetsyD 1 2,404 12-14-2012 11:26 PM
Last Post: Lucia
  Saving cals for the weekend? Freed12 2 2,955 11-24-2012 05:23 PM
Last Post: welsh dragon