Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stumbling around like a newbie...
08-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Wink Stumbling around like a newbie...
Hi everyone,

My name is Tina. I am a 40 year old mother of two from Canada. I have been pretty much ashamed of my body since I was 12. My 3 older sisters were all tiny (think small Asian girls), and lucky me, I was stocky and booby right from "go". Been through many weight loss plans from Nutrisystem in the 90's to Weight Watchers in '01. Tried low cal and even used Bodyfitmedia for over a year. Every time I have lost the weight but have always managed to find it again. :blush:Everything was so unsustainable. Hunger and life always got the best of me. Deprivation is not my friend. Dodgy

I have a solid background in physical activity. I have my degree in physical education and also teach Biology in high school. The unfortunate thing is that I also have taught about calories in and out. I want to do better so I can pass that information on to my students so they don't have to struggle like I have all these years. They are hungry for information about health and wellness and I am doing my best to make biochemistry interesting by having them do nutritional journals and improvement recommendations. It's fun and the students learn a lot about their habits.

However, I am unable to maintain my own loss and require your help. I am at 167lbs right now after losing 7lbs on MFP since May. I am stalled and finally began to take the advice on the EMtWL group and upped my cals from 1400 - 1650. I have maintained but after reading Kiki and Lucia's amazing posts, I now believe I will achieve more through a reset at TDEE.

So, here are my stats:
SW: 173 lbs
CW: 167 lbs
GW: 135 lbs

BMR: 1488
TDEE: 2306 (moderate activity)
TDEE -15%: 1960

I am training for a half marathon in Sept, so run about 3x a week (6-13 km) at a seriously slow 13 mph or 9 min/km. (I am giving up long distance running because it's so frigging hard and I am not enjoying distances over 6/7km, but I signed up for this race in March so I'm getting that stupid medal if I have to crawl over the finish line) tongue. I started New Rules of Lifting for Life (also purchased NROLFW) and am almost through phase 1 and lift about 3x a week.

Here are the things my overloaded brain cannot wrap itself around because I'm doubting myself at every turn.
1) Should I shift to the NROLFW during reset? It has much more weight work than what I'm doing now which has a combo of strength, power, MET work and core (stabilization and dynamic stabilization). I'm worried that the weights aren't hit as hard in the "for life" book...

2) I have eaten an increase of 1650 for about 3 weeks. Could I just do TDEE reset for a month? Is that enough?

3) Is my activity level okay if I am racing in 3 weeks and won't be running much after that except for HIIT?

Thanks. I am so relieved to have found this group. I believe it has the power to change my life (and many others in my students) and for once and for all get me off the cycle of gaining and losing. Kiki and Lucia, I so appreciate the support I have seen you provide on the group threads. It has given me faith that I can be successful and not just for the short term, but so I can be around for a long time for my family.

Apologies for the long thread. TMI?!? Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
RE: Stumbling around like a newbie...
Hi and Welcome! I am glad you found us.
I read through your post and I am pretty sure that your activity level is not right. If you are training for the half and doing lifting as well you sure qualify for the next activity level.

It is up to you if you wan to switch the workouts. If you are lifting more you will probably be slower in your runs. On the other hand if you are not planning to keep the running up after you finished your race I would say go for New rules of lifting for women.

As for the reset....4weeks seem a bit short. 6-8weeks are recommended.
08-17-2012, 01:20 AM
RE: Stumbling around like a newbie...
Thanks so much for the post. I guess you're right. I am logging a lot of km and and lifting as heavy as possible.

As per your suggestion I reworked my workout and did the first workout in NROLFW and loved it!! My muscles are tired now which feels great and I agree. This will slow me down for sure but what the heck. I'm not fast anyway. I'm like a rolling stone on a slight incline. Slowly inching forward. Lol. I'm going to really like pushing myself in the weight room. Was easing into my seated rows tonight and the trainer I splurged and purchased 6 sessions with came over during his workout to see what I was lifting. I started with 50lbs and he moved it to 80lbs and :Dtold me to do my 15reps. I didn't think I could do it but it wasn't that hard. Sheesh.

Okay. I will reset for 6 weeks. Today I ate just bigger portions of normal food. Extra milk in the protein shake and more meat at supper. I love being full! big grin

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Looking forward to continuing to learning.