Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gained on Reset - Gaining on Cut
08-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Gained on Reset - Gaining on Cut
Ok EM2WL'ers. I need guidance. I stated EM2WL in May and quickly realized I needed a reset. Ate 2300 for 8 weeks and gained pounds and inches. Ate 2100 for 30 days and gained pounds and inches. I recently cut to 1950 and have not gained, but haven't lost. I'm just wondering how far down I'm gonna have to go to see progress. Angry

Stats:
Female
51 yrs old
5'6" tall
RMR 1613 (per oxygen testing)
BF 31% (before most recent gain)
173# (11# heavier than I've been in the last 10 years!!!!)
Desk Job
Workout 6x/week (mixture of lifting and high intensity cardio)

I was on VLCD for 8+ years to maintain 75# weight loss. I started MFP to lose last 10# of fat. Instead of losing 10#, I've gained 11#.

Per testing, thyroid great, metabolism is above average, no other health conditions.

Getting super, super discouraged. I'm not obsessed about scale weight, but my clothes that were baggy are getting tight and I can't stand that.

I feel like I've asked versions of this question every few weeks since May. I've tried everything suggested and have found no success. Seems like there are a LOT of folks in the same boat with me.

Is there anyone out there that can give me a EM2WL success story?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2012, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 12:04 PM by Kiki.)
RE: Gained on Reset - Gaining on Cut
Aww man, still having a rough time?

Hmm...I wonder what we're not seeing here Confused

I recall you saying that you were having issues hitting your macros. Was this ever resolved? A calorie is not just a calorie, (well, "technically" it is, but...) macros matter. Not that they should/will be perfect all the time, but you'd be better off knowing how your body prefers certain macros and getting in the habit of hitting those regularly, than continually lowering your cals. It's always hard to give general suggestions not knowing the entire picture but a couple of things:

1) it will always seem like there are more people having problems with something on forums like this, than those that are success stories. The main reason is that the forums become a troubleshooting area for the most part, while those that have had success are off somewhere eating, and enjoying their lives (or answering tons of questions somewhere, teaching others), lol. Not everyone sticks around just to say how great they're doing tongue but it's all good because it's situations like these that people actually learn from & can help troubleshoot their own journey.

2) the last 5-20lbs will always be the hardest to lose, which is why you *have* to zero in on the right macros for you, if you're gonna push your body beyond what it deems is "ok". Remember, our bodies don't care about our weight loss goals, just survival.

3) Since you've finally reached a point where you're not gaining or losing, let's stop here and try to get the macros under control before going any further. Remember, you don't want to go back to "normal" eating and gain everything back.

Again, without having worked with you personally, I can only give *very* general advice. So I'm sorry if these have been addressed already.

W/clients, there are sooo many more personal questions involved, such as:
Do you take any supplements?
Are you weighing after days off from working out?
Were you low carb when VLCD?
How many hours per week are you working out?
What are your current macros?
Did your weight ever stabilize during reset? Or did you go to cut before stabilizing?
Sodium and water intake on point?
Has bf% been checked recently?
When was the last time you took a recovery week from working out?

And so on, without knowing the whole story it's a bit harder to tackle, but either way the solution would begin with figuring out where the program is catching you up, and just picking one step at a time to make it more about "you"

The main point is to make sure you aren't trying to imitate anyone else's journey, and pinpoint what will make it "yours"

Making change after change is just plain frustrating Sad

Sorry that turned into a super ramble...I know you're flustered with no changes...

(also this was on my phone, so sorry if typos or it doesn't make sense, lol)

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2012, 10:16 AM
First, let me give you a huge thanks for the response - especially on your phone!!!

In answer to your questions:

Do you take any supplements? Vit D, Probiotic, Multi, Calcium, CoQ-10
Are you weighing after days off from working out? Weighing everyday, taking average
Were you low carb when VLCD? No
How many hours per week are you working out? 6-7
What are your current macros? 40/30/30
Did your weight ever stabilize during reset? Or did you go to cut before stabilizing? Stabilized with bouncing up/down same 1+#
Sodium and water intake on point? Try to keep sodium under 2500. Plenty of water
Has bf% been checked recently? 31% in June, 11# and several inches ago
When was the last time you took a recovery week from working out? July 4th week, sort of. Vacation involved lots of walking (13 miles on one day), but no dedicated exercise. Last FULL rest week was July 2011.

I'm glad you pinpointed the macros. I try to hit 40/30/30, but it's hard to tell if I do since my daily calories are set to my total eaten and when exercise is added it increases the macros. A good portion of my workout is cardio and some have suggested I should increase carbs to as much as 60%. Your thoughts????

Man I wished we lived in the same town (or even state). I would totally hire you. The last trainer I worked with told me to never go over 1600 calories a day, even though my oxygen tested RMR is 1613.

You're so right about the success stories. When I find success, I will remember to post it everywhere!
09-04-2012, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 02:39 PM by canderson188.)
I'm gaining as well. Sad I gained 3 pounds on the reset and then levels off (eating 2400 cals). Then I cut (2040 cals) and I've gained an additional 5 pounds in the last 4 weeks. Help?????

Do you take any supplements? No

Are you weighing after days off from working out? Weighing everyday, taking average

Were you low carb when VLCD? No (was never truly VLC. I was usually around 1500-1800 and my BMR was 1850)

How many hours per week are you working out? 2.5-3

What are your current macros? 40/30/30 (having trouble hitting them. I'm a carb-o-holic)

Did your weight ever stabilize during reset? Or did you go to cut before stabilizing? I gained 3 in two weeks and then stabilized for 2 weeks

Sodium and water intake on point? I do my best on sodium, but it is usually close or slightly over

Has bf% been checked recently? I've never done that

When was the last time you took a recovery week from working out? I've only been on the cut 4 weeks, so I didn't think I needed a recovery week yet.

My stats:
Female
23 years old
Current Weight 227
Prior to EM2WL 219
Zumba once per week (60 minutes)
Weight lifting 2x per week (45 minutes x2 = 1.5 hour)
09-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Ladies! I'm still on vacation, I'll be home soon! Didin't want you to think that I was ignoring this thread. but it's just so much to type from the phone Sad

Regina - I wish you lived closer, too! or were even an online client. It's tough when the info is not on file, and all over the place on the web, lol. At least this forum makes it a bit easier to keep track, as I get super lost looking on MFP forum, or trying to back track through what a person said before, and such. Confused

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

09-07-2012, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 10:20 AM by Naonah.)
So glad I saw this thread and can't wait to see what comes out of it. (btw, enjoy your vacation Kiki!)

I'm honestly getting discouraged and tempted to go back to Weight Watchers cause I know it will get me results..but I REEAALLLY want this to work for the long haul. I've invested in this journey since March 2012. Upped in two stages, did reset and gained a total of 17#. After 8 weeks, I stabled off (or so it seemed) so did a 10% cut and gained some more!

Nadia
This makes sense, so it has to work Cool
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 06:47 PM by Kiki.)
 Regina, your macros depend on a few things. One is your body type and the other would be your type of activity. Different people respond differently a different macronutrient ratios. Sometimes it takes quite a little tweaking to find the one that's right for you, but when you find it you're golden.  The more cardio you do, typically the more carbs you can handle. I know that you're working out 6 to 7 hours per week, are the majority of those hours cardio?  If so, then you would be better off at a higher car and take 50 even 60% is acceptable in that case, especially in marathon runners are long-distance athlete. If the majority of your workouts are strength training didn't you would need less carbs.  Here's an article that kind of shows examples of how to tweak the macronutrients down in a way that's suitable for your body type and activity level 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-...-loss.html

Then there is Dr.John Berardi (of Precision Nutrition) who feels the following macro ratios ate the gold standard:
Ectomorphic – Usually endurance athletes:  Suggested Macronutrient Percentages (25% Protein, 55% Carbs, 20% Fat)
Mesomorphic – Bodybuilding and relative strength athletes:  Suggested Macronutrient Percentages (30% Protein, 40% Carbs, 30% Fat)
Endomorphic – Absolute strength athletes: Suggested Macronutrient Percentages (35% Protein, 25% Carbs, 40% Fat)

It really is a crap shoot :/

And it stinks tryin to figure it out. But if you don't now, while you have nothing but time, you'll keep hitting a brick wall with this issue being the root of the problem.  If you looking for a starting point I would start with carbs and fat as they're typically major culprits... skew your carbs up/down a little bit to see what your body can tolerate.

@canderson- we've talked a bit, privately, so I think you are on the right track wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
In response to what Kiki just said about macros, that is one thing that I'm currently changing up myself. I noticed over the past few months that I retain water like crazy...especially in the mornings. After researching a bit, I think it's because of the carbs I tend to eat before bed which can cause that. Thus, I wonder if I'm somewhat sensitive to carbs. (I never had water retention at a VLCD because I didn't eat enough of ANYTHING to cause it and I've been eating more now for several months so my body should have adapted to the increased carbs by now) So, I'm currently reducing my carb intake by 10% and increasing my other macros. Not sure if it'll help, but I figure the first sign if it's a good thing will be reduced water retention in the mornings!

Nicole
~ I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't.
09-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Kiki, It's so hard for me to define my workouts. Almost everything I do in some sort of interval. Boxing 2x/week - intense cardio for 2-5 minutes then just holding pads for my partner for 205 minutes. Circuit training 2x/week - high intensity cardio for 60-90 seconds, then weight lifting combo stuff for 60-90 seconds. Only two days are dedicated to just weightlifting with no (or very little) cardio.

I've listened to some podcasts by a doctor and I think I'll try what he suggests by greatly increasing my water (since I leave puddles on the gym floor 5 days/wk) and eating some kind of carb/protein 30 minutes before my workouts. I'll try these two changes and the calorie goal you recommended for 4 weeks and see what happens. XX fingers crossed!
09-18-2012, 01:54 PM
look at you! figuring out your body... big grin

good girl! wink

Try (as best you can) only making one change at a time happy That's the only way to know what works, and why.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  wrong exercise level? gaining again! zoe 13 11,468 12-08-2015 08:06 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Slowly Eating more for 6+ months, 15lbs gained...when will it reverse? Shortqtpie 7 12,096 10-07-2014 03:10 AM
Last Post: AllyBlue77
  First week of cut & gained a pound? running4myboys 19 21,552 05-14-2014 09:54 AM
Last Post: SarahWeb
  Gaining Body Fat itskcoughlin 2 3,813 02-24-2014 06:10 PM
Last Post: Trishadams
Sad Gaining weight during cut! lgibson1011 3 5,522 10-12-2013 01:21 AM
Last Post: Perez Turner