Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Deadlift question
08-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Deadlift question
Hi gang,

So I'm up to NROLFW stage 2, and tomorrow will be the first time I do workout B.

After googling around, I realised even beginners are deadlifting double to triple what I'm deadlifting. I just didn't realise I was supposed to just go uber-heavy with these. I'm not worried about comparing myself, I'm just worried I haven't been doing nearly enough.

My legs are quite strong from plenty of exercise in the past (inc weight training, hot yoga etc) and can squat really well and quite heavy... so I'm a bit confused, as I'm finding the deadlifts already quite challenging. I've researched proper form and I'm convinced mine is ok.

At the end of stage 1, I'd reached the end of the already-set-up barbells at the gym - 35kg (77lbs). But I could barely lift one of these up off its holder and get it to where I could use it.

Can anyone tell me approx how much should I be attempting to deadlift in stage 2? And also, if I can barely carry 35kg around the gym, what do I do about going higher?

Very frustrated, as I hate feeling like I've done all of my stage 1 deadlifting with way too little weight. Sad

I used to think that the meaning of life could be found in a spicy prawn sushi roll, now I am 158% sure that it is found in any type of protein. ANY type.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2012, 10:41 AM
RE: Deadlift question
Im not doing NROLFW but I deadlift 1 few times a week. I started at #40 3/10 Now Im up to #50 3/12. Id say test yourself out to see how much you can do for the required amount of sets. But again Im not doing NROL.

I tried every diet in the book. I tried some that weren’t in the book. I tried eating the book. It tasted better than most of the diets.

Dolly Parton
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2012, 08:07 AM
You have to be very careful w/deadlifts, and it depends on the kind that you're doing. There are several variations. Most people can go heavier than they think, but many aren't doing them properly, in which case, going heavy would injure you.

So, if you are using the vids/online info to try to gauge where you should be, pay close attention to 1) the type of deadlift, 2)the form that the person is using, and 3)the amount of reps** in addition to 4) the weight.

**Reps are super important, because if the person is hitting a 1 rep max that you are watching, you surely don't wanna try to do a 3x15 with it, lol...

So just keep it all in perspective wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks heaps ladies!! Have a great weekend happy

I used to think that the meaning of life could be found in a spicy prawn sushi roll, now I am 158% sure that it is found in any type of protein. ANY type.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  1 rep max question kosborne5 3 4,308 01-24-2015 03:52 PM
Last Post: kosborne5
  strength training question AllyBlue77 3 5,407 01-05-2015 03:52 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  Wights/Calorie Burn Question/confused newbie! koneill12 2 5,120 09-25-2013 03:49 PM
Last Post: koneill12
  Weight Training Question Rusty 3 5,776 09-19-2013 08:51 PM
Last Post: Lucia
Music Question regard weight training, Please help this noob Rasenganx3 4 7,328 08-25-2012 03:49 AM
Last Post: Rasenganx3