Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Too Much Cardio?
06-28-2012, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 11:33 AM by ben_running.)
Too Much Cardio?
I'm new to EM2WL (even though I did use this technique in 2007 to lose 30lbs before changing weights for cardio and gaining it all back, but I digress) but I have a question about marathon training. Obviously, training for that kind of endurance will involve a lot of running. On my previous marathons, I actually got fatter during the 4 months of training (I wasn't lifting. From 200-206 both times and it was around my gut. I started running to lose weight. Ironic?)

Since too much cardio is detrimental, how will I train yet be able to perform on race day? For that matter, how can I stay a runner?

Back in 2007, I was lifting daily but wasn't running much. Since then, it's been totally opposite.

BTW: FIRST POST IN CARDIO!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2012, 05:20 PM
RE: Too Much Cardio?
Do you run all year? Or is there an "off" season that you can take advantage of to build up a bit of muscle that is torn down during race season? My DH and DS are much more cardio oriented than I am, and that's the way that I train them. So for DS (who plays basketball) we do his muscle building phases in spring/summer, then tighten back up on endurance stuff when fall rolls around (his season starts in Nov). Too much muscle will slow him down on the court, but he will have imbalances in his back if we did not do that, as basketball is mostly a forward movement (using chest/shoulder/tricep muscles). Same w/DH, the warmer weather is his most cardiovascular season, so he goes through a bulk with me in the winter, in order to replace some of the muscle loss that occurs each year.

Do you have any stagnant weeks or months that you could dial the cardio down, just enough to keep endurance levels, but not counteract some mini-bulks to put on a little muscle?

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Cant really help you with the Marathon part at this stage since Im just gearing up for my first 10k in August. (First 5k was in April).
I was running 3x a week for training for that, and had dropped about 10 pounds in the first 8 weeks,.... then nothing.. not a single thing would happen, and like you I took up running to help get the weight off quicker, silly me...

I ended up scaling back on my running because I wanted to incorporate strength training and get that part of my journey started. SO I scaled back to two days running instead of three.. However, I am not training for a marathon so I understand the goals are vastly different.

Are you in training now for a marathon?

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
06-30-2012, 09:21 AM
I run all year long. The past couple of months I've only been running a few days a week and short distances, however in preparing for a marathon it takes about 16 weeks of running 4-5 times a week and distances up to and beyond 20 miles. It's nothing to run 3-4 hours straight.

I'm not training now, but I am trying to build my base mileage up. After the last marathon, I went lazy and took several months off. You have to keep a race on the calendar to keep motivated (or at least I do). I'm definitely running a half in November, good Lord willing, and maybe a half in October. The full is in January and the jury is still out on it... but I really thing I "want" to do it.

I'm wondering if the mini-bulk would work this summer, because serious scheduled training would start around August for the half in November. The problem is keeping that 20-25 mile per week base I need.
06-30-2012, 09:25 AM
(06-29-2012 11:59 PM)Raynn Wrote:  Cant really help you with the Marathon part at this stage since Im just gearing up for my first 10k in August. (First 5k was in April).

Good for you. I have a 10K in August too. You'll have to let me know how it goes. I remember my first 10K was at Kings Island outside of Cincinnati,OH and it did in 54 minutes or something. I went back the next year and shaved 2 minutes off the time. They haven't had the race since. The one in August will be the first one in about 3 years.
06-30-2012, 08:02 PM
No advice but i feel so relieved reading your post! I found when i did HM training my belly got pudgy Sad
There was some strength based stuff in there but as the running mileage increased the strength based stuff decreased in the program!

Its good to see that it can be a symptom of too much running!
07-25-2014, 06:53 AM
Ah, cortisol....the enemy of long distance runners everywhere. I love 5ks and running in general, so I usually do about 30 mile weeks all year long, with about 3 days of speed work, one day tempo, two long slower runs. I also lift 3 days a week, though I don't the week before a race. Anyway, I found that simply eating enough to fuel my "excessive" cardio, along with lifting, decreased my belly fat. It is still progressing, but I have lost 8 pounds, slowly, and at least an inch from my waist, at around 2600 cals a day. I think if your body is properly fueled, it doesn't see the exercise as so threatening or stressful so it will allow you to lose fat. That is just my theory...I really don't know anything for certain happy
07-25-2014, 10:54 AM
(07-25-2014 06:53 AM)Katykat79 Wrote:  Ah, cortisol....the enemy of long distance runners everywhere. I love 5ks and running in general, so I usually do about 30 mile weeks all year long, with about 3 days of speed work, one day tempo, two long slower runs. I also lift 3 days a week, though I don't the week before a race. Anyway, I found that simply eating enough to fuel my "excessive" cardio, along with lifting, decreased my belly fat. It is still progressing, but I have lost 8 pounds, slowly, and at least an inch from my waist, at around 2600 cals a day. I think if your body is properly fueled, it doesn't see the exercise as so threatening or stressful so it will allow you to lose fat. That is just my theory...I really don't know anything for certain happy

Katykat can you give me more info on how you found your true TDEE? I'm training for my first full marathon and having one b*** of a time figuring it out. I was using a BMF and it died and I'm very sceptical of the readings I've been receiving. Although, maybe I shouldn't be?? Anyway. Any advice you can give is much appreciated!!!

N

For the love of peanut butter, EAT MORE!!
08-10-2014, 03:01 PM
(06-29-2012 05:20 PM)Kiki Wrote:  Do you run all year? Or is there an "off" season that you can take advantage of to build up a bit of muscle that is torn down during race season? My DH and DS are much more cardio oriented than I am, and that's the way that I train them. So for DS (who plays basketball) we do his muscle building phases in spring/summer, then tighten back up on endurance stuff when fall rolls around (his season starts in Nov). Too much muscle will slow him down on the court, but he will have imbalances in his back if we did not do that, as basketball is mostly a forward movement (using chest/shoulder/tricep muscles). Same w/DH, the warmer weather is his most cardiovascular season, so he goes through a bulk with me in the winter, in order to replace some of the muscle loss that occurs each year.

Do you have any stagnant weeks or months that you could dial the cardio down, just enough to keep endurance levels, but not counteract some mini-bulks to put on a little muscle?

This is such a great idea Kiki. I actually decided that I would start doing that after all of the races that I've paid for have finished. 8 races Sept 2014 - Nov 2014 and then about 5 more Jan 2015 -March 2015.

rose Train Like A Beast. Look Like A Beauty rose
Instagram - FitWithDiva
MFP Profile
08-10-2014, 03:05 PM
(07-25-2014 06:53 AM)Katykat79 Wrote:  Ah, cortisol....the enemy of long distance runners everywhere. I love 5ks and running in general, so I usually do about 30 mile weeks all year long, with about 3 days of speed work, one day tempo, two long slower runs. I also lift 3 days a week, though I don't the week before a race. Anyway, I found that simply eating enough to fuel my "excessive" cardio, along with lifting, decreased my belly fat. It is still progressing, but I have lost 8 pounds, slowly, and at least an inch from my waist, at around 2600 cals a day. I think if your body is properly fueled, it doesn't see the exercise as so threatening or stressful so it will allow you to lose fat. That is just my theory...I really don't know anything for certain happy

This is also helpful information. It's nothing to burn 2,100 on a half marathon, let alone a full. I never really thought of it that way. I definitely plan to eat much more for now on on my longer run days.

rose Train Like A Beast. Look Like A Beauty rose
Instagram - FitWithDiva
MFP Profile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What do you do for cardio??? Gemmybean 9 7,640 12-31-2015 01:21 PM
Last Post: DarrylSpiers
  Upping cardio to eat more? NicholeETF 3 5,246 08-08-2013 07:15 PM
Last Post: NicholeETF
  Can I replace regular Cardio with HIIT? jyska 6 12,779 11-11-2012 11:32 AM