Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Body-weight training
09-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Body-weight training
I like the body-weight training I started doing on a pretty regular basis. I found a book called You Are Your Own Gym. It suited me since I can't afford a gym membership and not enough room in my small, rented room I am living in until I finish my degree.

I NEVER felt better than after I started doing pushups, lunges, squats and crunches. That got me hooked and then I found the book. I haven't started the "program" as the book lays it out but I hope to soon. For me, seeing the changes and especially feeling the strength I am building in my muscles is very encouraging. Cardio never gave me that and the fact I was not eating enough either.

By the way, if anyone is interested, body-weight means just what it says. You don't need equipment to build your muscles. There are ways to intensify your pushups, for example. One way is to elevate your feet (on a chair or something a bit higher then the floor) You can end up using all your weight to work triceps, chest, abdominal and core muscles and shoulders.

What I love most about not needing equipment is being able to do these workouts much faster (no changing weights or machines, and no waiting in a gym) as well as anywhere I feel is appropriate to workout. There is nothing wrong with a gym, I am not saying that, I was just glad to find an alternative that works for me since a gym is beyond what I can do right now.

I also want to add that in my research I do believe that many muscles don't get worked using machines or free-weights. Our body has 700 or so muscles in it, depending on which expert or authority you are consulting.

I'm just learning so you can take or leave what I put here, it's just stuff I've read is all and some of it, I have experienced at this point but I have only been into it for about 4 months, so, I am far from an authoritygiggle denise
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 06:20 PM by Kiki.)
RE: Body-weight training
We actually have that book featured in "EM2WLs Picks" on the sidebar of the website wink

Thanks for such a thorough review! thumbs up

I work out from home so I get the upside of not waiting for machines, but I do agree that it's very important to balance out your training with bodyweight, stability, and unilateral exercises, because all of those supporting muscles come in mighty handy as we age happy

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Shout out from another EM2WL member who does bodyweight training! rock on I don't own the book you mentioned, but am semi-following a plan and after about a month and a half, I can already see some very encouraging progress. lovestruck Your body really is its own gym!
10-30-2012, 12:42 AM
(10-03-2012 02:20 PM)notRapunsel Wrote:  Shout out from another EM2WL member who does bodyweight training! rock on I don't own the book you mentioned, but am semi-following a plan and after about a month and a half, I can already see some very encouraging progress. lovestruck Your body really is its own gym!

What program are you semi-following?
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 10:29 AM by notRapunsel.)
(10-30-2012 12:42 AM)MeDoula Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 02:20 PM)notRapunsel Wrote:  Shout out from another EM2WL member who does bodyweight training! rock on I don't own the book you mentioned, but am semi-following a plan and after about a month and a half, I can already see some very encouraging progress. lovestruck Your body really is its own gym!

What program are you semi-following?

Oops. Sorry. I forgot my password so I couldn't log in for the longest time. loser I know, I know.... heh heh. I was following this program before I bought me some weights, but it absolutely gave great results. It's like an HIIT/strenght hybrid, and I really enjoyed the intensity. http://www.maxcapacitytraining.com/

I can't give this program a high enough review! Like I said, I semi-followed it for the full 12 weeks and it was amazing! I started to see some great definition in my arms and legs by the time I was done, and my core was also a lot stronger as well. Great for someone who either doesn't have equipment or doesn't want to bother with weights at this point in their life. Plus, it's all FREE, and there's a free app for an iPod/iPad to help you as well. WIN/WIN all the way!
02-11-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm on week 3 of Max Capacity Training! I'm using it as cardio/metabolic conditioning and do endurance strength training the other two days. I'm not going to do the whole 12 weeks this time, however, but maybe I'll get through most of it!
05-27-2014, 01:25 PM
I am so excited to see this thread! I started reading the You Are Your Own Gym book before I stumbled across em2lw and have been feeling conflicted about trying to follow both. I have never worked out with weights (other than the little 3 or 5 pounders in a class), so it seems like a realistic goal for myself. I've always loved that scene in Terminator (2?) when Linda Hamilton does pull ups - I can't even do one!

Last night America Ninja was on - the boys were watching and I got drawn in because of the female competitors. How awesome to be so strong!

I'd love to continue to chat with any of you about body weight exercises and maybe work my way up to weights.
05-28-2014, 04:36 AM
Hi - I missed this thread but how fab - yes I do bodyweight exercises - I think its fabulous training! certainly for those that cannot get to a gym! Also check out these inspirational (and scary lol) video about a guy that does just body weight training only!

http://youtu.be/hEMcHVwzHPA

I have not heard of those books - will def dig them out! thanks for the nudge on this thread!
06-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Body weight exercises are definitely my favorite ones! Pushups, squats, and pull ups are my go to. I like them because there are a ton of variations so you are constantly working different muscles. I like to use youtube to find some different moves, but I've never seen that guy! cyndyjlo- my wife couldn't do more than 2 but wanted to add it into her routine. We have one of those pull up bars that sit in your door so we try to at least one every time we walk through our bedroom door. Since she couldn't do a lot we found these pull up assist bands on Beachbody- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness...-up-bar.do They help you do more pull ups and perfect your technique, so maybe they can help you out.
02-15-2016, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 05:06 PM by nwcountrygal.)
Wow, wish I'd stuck around. Some great info, and I love the vid on Tee doing all the body-weight stuffwink I think my program will include a little of it all, I mean some weights, and I do want to join a gym for some social interaction, and going somewhere other than my apartment. I tend to isolate, so gotta make some changeswink denise

I'd love to hear from anyone that is still around, and doing body-weight stuff?? Denise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fasted strength training? Muireann 5 2,020 01-09-2016 12:37 PM
Last Post: emma
  Strength Training Manual Candi 3 1,473 12-20-2015 10:12 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  STRENGTH TRAINING MANUAL CYBER MONDAY DEAL! AnitraSoto 0 702 11-29-2015 08:26 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
Rainbow Does yoga count as strength training? Abby 10 8,376 03-10-2015 01:44 PM
Last Post: Modmom
  strength training question AllyBlue77 3 2,732 01-05-2015 03:52 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  EM2WL's Beginner Strength Training Manual is Finally Available! AnitraSoto 1 2,804 11-07-2014 02:51 PM
Last Post: jaeone
  Weight Training Question Rusty 3 3,198 09-19-2013 08:51 PM
Last Post: Lucia
  Headaches after upper body training lulu 11 19,719 07-03-2013 12:09 PM
Last Post: sjmomma4
  Training during initial reset enoid1 2 2,766 03-01-2013 02:01 AM
Last Post: enoid1
  Recommend me a strength training programme angelina2585 4 4,484 01-23-2013 04:00 AM
Last Post: angelina2585