Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can I replace regular Cardio with HIIT?
09-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Can I replace regular Cardio with HIIT?
I much prefer a short, 15 - 20 min HIIT workout than a 45 min - 60 min regular cardio workout. I don't want to run a marathon or anything, but I'm wondering if only doing 15 - 20 min HIIT sessions twice a week will affect my endurance for the odd run or anything else that requires lengthy cardio endurance?

Will short HIIT sessions keep my endurance up for the odd time I need it for some lengthy regular cardio like a run with a friend or something?

(I lift 3 times a week and I plan on substituting two HIIT workouts a month with a 60 min plyometrics day plus I walk very briskly 60 min, 5 days/wk. My main goal is fat loss, while increasing power and strength with enough endurance for everyday fun and life, plus be able to Hike strenuously in the mountains for hours during the summer. )

Nicole
~ I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
RE: Can I replace regular Cardio with HIIT?
I did the same thing as you. I replaced my 60 min cardio three times a week to 20-30 min sessions and I love it.
I can not answer yor question tough regarding how much your endurance will suffer though
09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
(09-18-2012 04:54 PM)EvelynNoor Wrote:  I did the same thing as you. I replaced my 60 min cardio three times a week to 20-30 min sessions and I love it.
I can not answer yor question tough regarding how much your endurance will suffer though

I may find that I just have to choose between the two (in which case the HIIT would win out anyways), but I'm hoping that HIIT will still keep a reasonable endurance level. It'd be frustrating to find that I'm toast 20 min into a run but at the same time, endurance running is not a goal for me. Endurance hiking is, but I think that's where the plyo should help.

Hopefully someone will know. happy

Nicole
09-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Oh gosh plyo legs will be on the agenda again soon. I truly don't like it. Lol. Kiki actually posted an article regarding HIIT training today. I it may have some of the answers you are looking for for.

I will say for endurance you would need to probably incorporate a few lengthier cardio sessions from time to time. I'm like you though I really am just not into the one hour business anymore... Not zumba either... Lol.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
09-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks Lucia. I saw the article and it was a really good one, but it didn't really answer the main question of endurance. But, like you, I'm just finding that I am loving the switch to shorter HIIT. I can always build up that cardio endurance again if needed.

Unlike you however, I kinda like plyo. happy I do the p90X plyometrcis and love how much it increases my mountain hiking endurance. I don't get DOMS anymore even after hiking straight up and down for a few hours whereas my husband will complain afterwards for a few days...hehe.giggle

Nicole
11-10-2012, 07:31 PM
(09-19-2012 05:40 PM)jyska Wrote:  Thanks Lucia. I saw the article and it was a really good one, but it didn't really answer the main question of endurance. But, like you, I'm just finding that I am loving the switch to shorter HIIT. I can always build up that cardio endurance again if needed.

Unlike you however, I kinda like plyo. happy I do the p90X plyometrcis and love how much it increases my mountain hiking endurance. I don't get DOMS anymore even after hiking straight up and down for a few hours whereas my husband will complain afterwards for a few days...hehe.giggle

So you use p90X plyo as your cardio workout?
11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Sorry I never saw this post. But yes, you can replace cardio with HIIT. Sprinkling in longer sessions as you see fit, & you should be ok. My son is an endurance athlete and we switch to HIIT only training in his off season and he's not only the fastest but can last longest. We amp up cardio as the season draws near and he doesn't miss a beat.

I also do the same when prepping for Cathe Road Trip. I do HIIT mostly but swap in a few longer sessions as time for RT comes. Plyo is great for conditioning. I use plyo legs (STS) for cardio when cutting

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HIIT DVDs Candi 3 9,205 01-29-2017 06:09 PM
Last Post: LikeAGirl
  What do you do for cardio??? Gemmybean 9 8,121 12-31-2015 01:21 PM
Last Post: DarrylSpiers
  Too Much Cardio? ben_running 10 16,161 01-31-2015 10:28 AM
Last Post: nineateseven
  Upping cardio to eat more? NicholeETF 3 5,451 08-08-2013 07:15 PM
Last Post: NicholeETF
  HIIT vs. Steady State Moderate vs. just walking meredithharb 0 3,320 11-17-2012 07:34 PM
Last Post: meredithharb
  Can we talk about cardio? elly1979 4 7,308 10-02-2012 11:47 PM
Last Post: elly1979
  Eating more with Cardio Jeannettarodgers 4 9,333 08-14-2012 07:54 PM
Last Post: Lucia
  Cardio days ssgtwifey 4 5,739 07-17-2012 09:55 AM
Last Post: CrystalFueled