Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EM2LW and hypothyroidism
10-16-2012, 09:20 PM
EM2LW and hypothyroidism
Can anyone who suffers from hypo or hysho tell me if the EM2LW methodology works with either condition?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2012, 10:13 AM
RE: EM2LW and hypothyroidism
Hi. I'm hypo and EM2WL definitely works...WHEN I'm properly medicated. Nothing will work when I'm not. I know from personal experience. I started out the year needing an increase in meds. Once I got it I felt so good. I started running and training for a half marathon and took to the EM2WL philosophy wholeheartedly. I dropped some pounds and inches. Then my functioning dropped out from under me - a month before my half marathon. I still ran it, but it wasn't pretty! Here I am two months later, labwork, a doctor's visit and I'm just now getting back to functioning. Long story short - EM2WL works, but I think those of us who are hypo need to listen to our bodies and be willing to call the doctor, get labs, take supplements, etc...to make sure that we are well enough to live a healthy lifestyle. That being said, I DID not gain back my weight when my functioning dropped. I stuck to the EM2WL philosophy. I did not drastically cut calories or anything else to account for low thyroid function. I continued to feed myself. If anything I personally believe that EM2WL is the best way to go for hypo. We tend to have issues with absorption of nutrients, so getting in all that we can with healthy food is only going to help.

That was a long answer. I guess I have a lot to say given recent experiences...lol.

Crystal
10-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Yep, hypothyroid lady here too and it works when meds are on point. I even stress making sure that the dr always look at the full panel because looking at my TSH alone you will think my med is too high, but the T3 and T4 is within the range, higher end but that is where I feel good. In the middle or lower range and I feel HORRIBLE and gain/hold weight.

Just recently though I have been taking for almost 20 years now, I totally forgot to take them and I can't even say for how long...between life, sleep deprivation due to my son's diabetes, I just totally forgot to take them. So back on track...lol

Anyway, said all that to say, it works for us too!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
10-17-2012, 03:25 PM
And AMEN to what Lucia just said about watching T3 and T4 levels. My last TSH lab was actually at 0 and I was in fact very symptomatic, but my T3 and T4 were both at the lower end. Like Lucia said, I have to be at the high end of (especially on T3 for me) in order to feel well.

Crystal
10-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I have Hashimotos, I wish I only had hypo! My levels haven't been normal yet , sometimes severe hypo and then severely hyper for a few months, I get so upset over it but I can't let it ruin my life! EM2WL is going good so far based on inches and pics I think my body fat % has gone down, I wasn't losing on 1200, so why would I keep eating so little? I hoping to get proper supplements like zinc, copper , and vitamin D that many on MFP have had success with, my doc only goes by TSH and since I was having a hyper storm all summer he decreased my dose from 100 mcg to 88 mcg, and I cut to about 50 mcg by myself ...I am "bulking" now and it's the cut I'm worried over but nothing is instant and I trust Kiki N Lucia's system..it might take me longer to get results but I don't care! I love eating healthy foods and since eating more I don't crave chocolate after every meal!

NO EXCUSES, JUST RESULTSyou're a star
10-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Bridget, I have Hashimotos as well. But I passed the phase where my levels are fluctuating. My thyroid seems pretty much destroyed , so I have to take 125mcg levothyroxine. if you know the symptoms, go by how you feel. After some time you are getting the hang of the dosage you need in order to feel good. I tweaked around too, when my levels were fluctuating. I will be starting my bulk soon-so you are not alone happy
02-12-2015, 05:42 AM
(10-17-2012 10:13 AM)CrystalFueled Wrote:  Hi. I'm hypo and EM2WL definitely works...WHEN I'm properly medicated. Nothing will work when I'm not. I know from personal experience. I started out the year needing an increase in meds. Once I got it I felt so good. I started running and training for a half marathon and took to the EM2WL philosophy wholeheartedly. I dropped some pounds and inches. Then my functioning dropped out from under me - a month before my half marathon. I still ran it, but it wasn't pretty! Here I am two months later, labwork, a doctor's visit and I'm just now getting back to functioning. Long story short - EM2WL works, but I think those of us who are hypo need to listen to our bodies and be willing to call the doctor, get labs, take supplements, etc...to make sure that we are well enough to live a healthy lifestyle. That being said, I DID not gain back my weight when my functioning dropped. I stuck to the EM2WL philosophy. I did not drastically cut calories or anything else to account for low thyroid function. I continued to feed myself. If anything I personally believe that EM2WL is the best way to go for hypo. We tend to have issues with absorption of nutrients, so getting in all that we can with healthy food is only going to help.

That was a long answer. I guess I have a lot to say given recent experiences...lol.

While nutritional deficiencies may not be the cause of hypothyroidism, not having enough of these micronutrients and minerals can aggravate symptoms: vitamin D, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, zinc, copper, vitamin A, the B vitamins, and iodine.