Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would taking a break help me figure out my TDEE?
10-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Would taking a break help me figure out my TDEE?
Hi all!
A little background, I have never been a very low cal diet. I started on MFP 4 months ago. My start weight was 172 pounds. I started out at eating 2,000 calories a day (lost at that level by the way, but it was the very start) I've gradually dropped my calories down. I eat around 1650 now. I got that number from fat2fit lightly active, with a 20% cut. It's working, I've lost 20 pounds so far. In the past few weeks I have started both NROL4W and C25K, so I'm leaning towards upping my calories to at least mod. active, which would be 1824. My problem is everywhere I look there are different #'s. I tried the scooby calculator, and got a lot lower # than I did from fat2fit. Then NR's gives me another set of numbers. I'm swimming in info, and don't know which way to go. So I'm thinking maybe I should take at least a week off at what I think my maint would be, and see what happens? With only about 27 pounds left to lose, and weight training I'm afraid I have to big of a deficit.

Sorry for the long post.
Jackie Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2012, 09:41 PM
RE: Would taking a break help me figure out my TDEE?
Hi Jackie,

Trust me when I say, this is not a long postblushing

I know the information can be so very overwhelming and somewhat confusing.

We picked the Scooby Calculator because it used Mifflin St Jeor and if you know your body fat the Katch McArdle calc. So, I suggest that you stick with that one. Just be sure to pick the correct activity level regarding how much time you actually spend working out.

Now, based on what you state you will be doing, I agree that the Moderate activity level is the way to go.

Whether or not to take a week off, if you haven't had a recovery week in a while, then go for it.

Also, we don't suggest doing the 20% cut because that is kind of steep. We suggest 15% or less. Our goal is to minimize muscle loss which happens when you eat at a deficit. Remember you will lose as long as there is a deficit, so why not allow the loss to take place over a longer time and keep more muscle. The more muscle you lose the smaller amount of food you can eat to maintain your new lower weight.

So, you don't have much to go, really you probably want to do a recomposition to achieve a certain look. Think about dropping that deficit to maybe 10% and giving yourself a diet break(meaning eat your actual TDEE calories) ever 4 to 6 weeks for One full week.

Hope this helps!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
10-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Thank you sooo much! I went to scooby, and at moderate activity I got 1930, with a 15% cut. I also bought your starter kit yesterday, and that really helped. happy
So I upped my cals to that number, and I'm going to take a break next week (might even do it for 2 weeks) I'm 5' 3" and down to 151, I always thought I looked best around 135, so not a lot left to lose at all in the scheme of things and trying to build muscle. And you're so right, I don't want to lose any of the muscle I'm trying to build! I think at this point recomp. might be my best bet, I'm just a little nervous. I've put so much focus into restriction, that it will take some getting used to.

Thanks again, it really makes me feel better knowing you guys are here for us. <3
10-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Ok, if you are trying to build muscle, please don't worry about that 135 number. Focus on lifting, fueling....the number you may never reach but you can get the physique your looking for!

Trust me I know....my ideal was always 147lbs....girl I am sitting at 168.4lbs...lol. A lot more muscle than I have ever dreamed of carrying. Still a work in progress as you can see from my journal, but I am no longer even considering trying to get to that number. I am trying to get to a certain look and clothes size.

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
10-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I'd be good if I stayed at 150 if I looked like you guys! The last time I really weighed that much was when I was in high school and on the weight lifting team. But I never used to step on a scale back then lol. I think I will be ok. I take progress photos and measurements. And honestly I get more excited when I lose inches than weight. I might need you all to remind me of that from time to time though lol
10-26-2012, 02:23 PM
And that we sure will:-)

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes we will! Lol. Scale gets no love around here, lol!!

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2012, 12:28 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know my break went well. It was a little hard at first, but I tried not to overthink it. The first few days I felt stuffed, but then my body seemed to get the hint and I was starving lol. I was worried it would be hard to go back to cut, because in the past once I was off my "diet" it was years before I was back on. But I got back on track just fine! I proved to myself that I'm in this for the long haul. Thank you so much ladies. You guys are awesome!!!!
11-03-2012, 02:00 PM
That is awesome!

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Time to take a deficit break? Gapwedge01 2 4,284 01-22-2013 02:57 PM
Last Post: Gapwedge01
  TDEE break - I think! Terrigrace 0 1,328 01-20-2013 01:32 PM