Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need encouragement to do a reset (I think?!)
10-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Need encouragement to do a reset (I think?!)
Hello beautiful ladies,

Get ready, this is a long post!

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks, trying to wrap my head around how this all works. I love the concept and really WANT it to work for me, and am kind of tap dancing around the whole thing, but I'm scared to fully commit to this and then gain weight back that I just lost. I bought the starter kit from you, read it all and still can't figure this out!

Background:

I'm 47 now. Current weight is 119, goal weight is 110/111. I weighed 126 last April, was tired of feeling fat and wanted to fit into all my old clothes. I decided to do the calorie counting route and joined My Plate to keep track. Lost steadily while netting 800 - 1100 per day until August when I plateaued at 114.5-116 despite all further restrictive efforts. Yes, I lost 10 lbs, but I realized that what I was doing to myself was unsustainable, I started feeling exhausted all the time, and it reminded me way too much of my earlier years. I was spinning 3-4 times a week and walking 5 miles the other days while seeing zero progress. I still wanted to lose another five and look amazing but knew this was NOT gonna work anymore. Began hunting for answers and the idea that I might not be eating enough entered the picture.

In my late teens I was bulimarexic and then moved onto plain old anorexic (I was admitted to hospital for three months in order to come back from 88lbs.). Recovered fully in early 20s and now have two children. Since my eating disorder days my highest weight has been in the upper 120s and my lowest has been 110 (excluding pregnancies when I gained 40 lbs. each time.). Totally stayed away from counting calories/using exercise/restricting as a way to keep weight in check on a regular basis until last April. Here's where I start to wonder if I need to do a full reset, since I've only been eating a VLCD since April and kind of ramped up the calories since Sept. (thus the rebound in weight).

I know now that weight training is the only way to get the body I love -- I did it in 2008 (I had a great trainer) with only two hours a week and barely any cardio so I know it can be done. I got to 19% BF and my weight was 111 and I looked awesome.

I'm 5'3". My BMR is 1280, my TDEE is 1985 according to Scooby's calculator. In Sept. I increased my net calories to an average of 1265, then in October I got braver and have increased my net calories to around 1500/1600. I am now trying to get it up to 1700 or so without gaining but I see a steady increase in weight. I have gone from 115 lbs. in early Sept. and now I'm at 119. I started lifting heavy for about 1/2 hour 2x week about four weeks ago and can see the changes already but am sure I haven't possibly gained four lbs of muscle. I'm doing spinning only 2x week now and maybe two other days walking for an hour.

I really DON'T WANT TO GAIN anymore.

I don't have a problem eating at TDEE, I mean, I really ENJOY food and it's not like I get stuffed, I just can't stand the scale moving upward.

What to do? Do I do a full reset, or have I been resetting this past month already? (Remember, those numbers I quoted up there are net, not actual -- maybe I should refigure what my actual calories have been?)

Oh boy. Anyway, thanks for reading and whatever advice you give will be much appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2012, 12:53 PM
RE: Need encouragement to do a reset (I think?!)
Hi there,

Usually when someone says their net calories they have subtracted their exercise calories. Now when using the Scooby calculator, that includes calories so you don't have to eat any additional exercise calories.

So, if you want to truly reset the metabolism, then don't worry about the scale and eat TDEE everyday. Just the 1985 daily whether you workout or not. Now, becasue you are lifting, you may possibly gain a little muscle and reshape what you have. Muscle is dense compared to fat so though the scale may or may not move you will be doing a recomp. So, in essence you will look smaller as you burn off the fat.

The best thing regarding the scale is to just put it away. The mental break you get from not thinking about weighing in is just priceless. Take out the tape measure and check that once a month. Get starting measurements and go from there. Why not start your journal in the forum so you have all the info in one place and update regularly and we are all here to cheer you on lady!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks Lucia! I was wondering if I was in the right place...that was quite the overshare I dumped last night!

I get it about just eating TDEE, not eating back exercise calories (unless I've done so much I get below my BMR, which would be unlikely) -- I suppose I'll recalculate what I've already been doing based on my total calories (not net) because some days in the past month I've been over TDEE -- not by much - but still.

I guess I don't want to start from square one on a reset because I've sorta been doing that already in October. And I went up another 1/2 lb this morning after eating less than usual yesterday. I mean, WTF?

It's funny because all the scale issues I had left behind almost 20 years ago came back real fast once resumed the VLCD and daily weigh-ins last April. I thought I was so over all of it; I guess it can be reactivated!

Where do I start a journal here, and do some people go back and forth between this forum and MFP subforum (where I originally found you)?

Thanks again Lucia, I really appreciate the help.

(11-01-2012 12:53 PM)Lucia Wrote:  Hi there,

Usually when someone says their net calories they have subtracted their exercise calories. Now when using the Scooby calculator, that includes calories so you don't have to eat any additional exercise calories.

So, if you want to truly reset the metabolism, then don't worry about the scale and eat TDEE everyday. Just the 1985 daily whether you workout or not. Now, becasue you are lifting, you may possibly gain a little muscle and reshape what you have. Muscle is dense compared to fat so though the scale may or may not move you will be doing a recomp. So, in essence you will look smaller as you burn off the fat.

The best thing regarding the scale is to just put it away. The mental break you get from not thinking about weighing in is just priceless. Take out the tape measure and check that once a month. Get starting measurements and go from there. Why not start your journal in the forum so you have all the info in one place and update regularly and we are all here to cheer you on lady!
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
So I just checked my numbers and I've been naturally increasing by about 200 calories/day each week since beginning of September and I've been eating almost at TDEE (within 100 calories average -- 1894 the 1st week and 2021 the second week) since 10/12. If I make a point to eat spot on at TDEE for another 4-6 weeks would that be a full reset or do I need to start over and make sure I'm EXACTLY at 1985 everyday?

Many thanks again for help getting this right.
11-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi there and welcome. Everything Lucia said is awesome. Welcome!

Time to ditch the scale and pick up the barbell!!!
11-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome Mommyofmyfivekids! (Yikes - 5 kids?!LOL)

So...do ya think I need to completely start over (see my last post) or can I use the last two weeks as my first two weeks of a 6-8 week reset?
Merci!
11-03-2012, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 02:40 PM by Lucia.)
I'd suggest shooting for the eight week reset. You sound like you want to lose some fat so eating tdee will allow you to keep muscle while burning the fat off. After the 8 weeks see where you are in the mirror and determine where you want to go from there.

There is a Motivation/Personal journal section that you can start tracking and posting your journey. http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/foru...php?fid=20

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks Lucia. I am so going for the eight week reset; I've already done two without realizing it and am gonna be lifting heavy the whole time. I cannot tell you how liberating it is not being starving and weak all the time. How nice it will be to look forward to Thanksgiving this year instead of dreading what I can't eat or should avoid.

I just started a journal -- looking forward to posting progress there -- probably no pix as I am not that comfortable with being "out there" but we'll see! Maybe I'll come out of my shell!

(11-03-2012 02:08 PM)Lucia Wrote:  I'd suggest shooting for the eight week reset. You sound like you want to lose some fat so eating tdee will allow you to keep muscle while burning the fat off. After the 8 weeks see where you are in the mirror and determine where you want to go from there.

There is a Motivation/Personal journal section that you can start tracking and posting your journey. http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/foru...php?fid=20
11-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Ok you can do pics with no head:-)

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue