Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cut, Maintain or Bulk??
11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Cut, Maintain or Bulk??
Hi! I just found this site yesterday and I am so ready to get off the diet roller coaster! My main question is: should I cut, eat at maintenance, or bulk?

I am 5’5”, 123 pounds, my scale says 27% body fat, and wear a size 2. According to the calorie calculator (for moderately active) my BMR is 1258 and TDEE is 1951. I lost about 85 pounds four years ago and I still feel like I am dieting. While I am small and look fine in clothes, I am SUPER FLABBY. I am definitely the picture of skinny fat. I am not saying this with false modesty – if I don’t suck in my stomach I could look pregnant, my arms flap in the breeze, and my legs are all kinds of squishy.

Up until May I was a distance runner, doing about a dozen half marathons per year for the past three years and running 20-40 miles per week. Definitely a cardio queen. After a knee surgery in May I have not been able to run and so I’ve been focusing on lifting weights (Chalean Extreme) three days a week and doing TurboFire or other cardio probably three times. I take one rest day.

I had been striving for about 1200 net calories to get the last of the fat off, but looking over my MFP stats for about the past six months I have actually been netting in the range of 1400-1600. My calories have been about 1900-ish average (I don’t see where I can get an actual number of MFP – I am going off the graphs). The actual calories may have been a little higher because I haven’t always recorded binge days, and up until two weeks ago I was estimating my portions and not weighing.

So to me it seems like I am eating roughly at maintenance or maybe a few hundred calories under for some time– my weight has fluctuated between 120-124 for the past year. I know I need to build muscle, so my question boils down to this – will continuing to eat at my TDEE allow me to build muscle? Or should I bulk? Or even cut further to get some fat off before concentrating on building muscle? I had read somewhere not to bulk if you are over 24% body fat.

I am sorry this is so long. I am just ready to get on with my life, to stop the whole diet mentality and to get healthy and strong. Thanks so much for your help!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
RE: Cut, Maintain or Bulk??
Hi WillRunForChocolate! Love that name, because I love chocolate too!

I'm new here too but for what it's worth I think you should eat at TDEE and start lifting. Put the scale away for six weeks and compare the before and after pictures. You will never see faster results in re-shaping your body than when you lift. Cardio should be a "just for fun" thing, imho (though I love love love spinning and walking - it has never gotten me anywhere but worn out!)

Just as an example, in 2008, I was in the best shape of my life when I started lifting just two hours a week with a trainer who pushed me to lift heavy. Within 6 months I looked and felt great!

Welcome!

(11-02-2012 01:58 PM)WillRunForChocolate Wrote:  Hi! I just found this site yesterday and I am so ready to get off the diet roller coaster! My main question is: should I cut, eat at maintenance, or bulk?

I am 5’5”, 123 pounds, my scale says 27% body fat, and wear a size 2. According to the calorie calculator (for moderately active) my BMR is 1258 and TDEE is 1951. I lost about 85 pounds four years ago and I still feel like I am dieting. While I am small and look fine in clothes, I am SUPER FLABBY. I am definitely the picture of skinny fat. I am not saying this with false modesty – if I don’t suck in my stomach I could look pregnant, my arms flap in the breeze, and my legs are all kinds of squishy.

Up until May I was a distance runner, doing about a dozen half marathons per year for the past three years and running 20-40 miles per week. Definitely a cardio queen. After a knee surgery in May I have not been able to run and so I’ve been focusing on lifting weights (Chalean Extreme) three days a week and doing TurboFire or other cardio probably three times. I take one rest day.

I had been striving for about 1200 net calories to get the last of the fat off, but looking over my MFP stats for about the past six months I have actually been netting in the range of 1400-1600. My calories have been about 1900-ish average (I don’t see where I can get an actual number of MFP – I am going off the graphs). The actual calories may have been a little higher because I haven’t always recorded binge days, and up until two weeks ago I was estimating my portions and not weighing.

So to me it seems like I am eating roughly at maintenance or maybe a few hundred calories under for some time– my weight has fluctuated between 120-124 for the past year. I know I need to build muscle, so my question boils down to this – will continuing to eat at my TDEE allow me to build muscle? Or should I bulk? Or even cut further to get some fat off before concentrating on building muscle? I had read somewhere not to bulk if you are over 24% body fat.

I am sorry this is so long. I am just ready to get on with my life, to stop the whole diet mentality and to get healthy and strong. Thanks so much for your help!!
11-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. I think I am really ready to stop the whole diet mentality. I think hiding the scale is a great idea. I will take a progress pic tomorrow and calendar to do so every month. I appreciate your help!

(11-02-2012 03:30 PM)amanda_gent Wrote:  Hi WillRunForChocolate! Love that name, because I love chocolate too!

I'm new here too but for what it's worth I think you should eat at TDEE and start lifting. Put the scale away for six weeks and compare the before and after pictures. You will never see faster results in re-shaping your body than when you lift. Cardio should be a "just for fun" thing, imho (though I love love love spinning and walking - it has never gotten me anywhere but worn out!)

Just as an example, in 2008, I was in the best shape of my life when I started lifting just two hours a week with a trainer who pushed me to lift heavy. Within 6 months I looked and felt great!

Welcome!

11-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Yep good idea. You will probably experience what we call newbie gains where you gain some muscle though you aren't bulking. The scale may go up but you will see a difference in clothes and measurements.. After a while though to continue gaining muscle you will need to eat at a surplus while lifting heavy... But don't worry about that now. One step at a time. Feel free to journal and post pics to inspire others as you go through the process. We have a Motivation /Personal journal section here. A few of us are journaling right now.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Awesome - thank you!

(11-03-2012 02:19 PM)Lucia Wrote:  Yep good idea. You will probably experience what we call newbie gains where you gain some muscle though you aren't bulking. The scale may go up but you will see a difference in clothes and measurements.. After a while though to continue gaining muscle you will need to eat at a surplus while lifting heavy... But don't worry about that now. One step at a time. Feel free to journal and post pics to inspire others as you go through the process. We have a Motivation /Personal journal section here. A few of us are journaling right now.
11-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Will Run for Chocolate, I don't have any advice for you but I do have this that i think you need to buy big grin

http://www.lornajane.com.au/111272/Run-4...late-Tank-
11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Awesome shirt! Thanks for sharing. I think a shopping trip is in order!!

(11-03-2012 11:24 PM)oonga Wrote:  Will Run for Chocolate, I don't have any advice for you but I do have this that i think you need to buy big grin

http://www.lornajane.com.au/111272/Run-4...late-Tank-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Started my bulk and... Ch33ky83 3 5,262 03-04-2013 10:40 PM
Last Post: Kiki
  If I were to do a bulk... Ch33ky83 8 9,506 02-28-2013 09:10 PM
Last Post: Ch33ky83
  Time to start a bulk? pullem01 2 4,700 01-02-2013 03:46 PM
Last Post: amanda_gent