Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I am so sorry about this - new person - am i being dumb?
11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I am so sorry about this - new person - am i being dumb?
So i lost 70 in 18 months with a lifestyle change - eat better, exercise - the proper way. very pleased etc. But stalled for a loooong time. Found out about EM2WL thru MFP so i did all the BMR TDEE calculations and was freaked out by the increase as was set at 1200 with MFP app to lose 1lb a week. clearly that wasn't working so had to try something... so upped my calories to the average of all BMR calc sights which was 1550, and i ate back my workout calories.

So i'm 8 weeks in and initially i lost 3lbs in the first 4 weeks, now i have gained three of them back but it is TOM (as half of every month seems to be!!!) but i'm basically fluctuating again around a 3-4lb mark, never really moving down.

Should i 1) carry on as i am and see what happens? 2) put cals up to TDEE and if you think i should do 2) what happens calorie intake wise on days i don't exercise? Do i eat my BMR (1550) or still eat the TDEE? This is the part that really REALLY throws me.

Thank you so much for any help and thank you for setting up this wonderful site.

I am 5 foot 8, 178lbs and 34 in case you need to know. I generally manage to workout 5 times a week doing circuit training DVDs some cardio some strength some a mixture (Jillian Michaels basically - all her DVDs in a self organised programme!! big grin)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2012, 04:23 PM
RE: I am so sorry about this - new person - am i being dumb?
I would suggest doing a metabolic reset. Calculate your TDEE based on your current activity level and you eat that every single day for 8-12wks. Once complete, then do a 10% cut and after 4wks do a one week TDEE break.

Is it possible to switch up your routine, maybe do heavy lifting 3 days a week and some HIIT training on off days???

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

So after the 4 weeks at 10% reduction the 'TDEE break' is eating at TDEE again?

Eating at TDEE is a really scary concept as even if I calculate it at sedentary its 1864 (on scooby) which is what i currently net after exercise. To reset could i eat that every day and then eat my exercise calories or should i eat 2134 (1-3 hrs light exercise which is probably underestimating) or 2453 (3-5 hrs moderate exercise)? Now that is scary :O !!!

With regards to exercise I am looking at starting Chalean Extreme with selecttech weights. I could follow that programme, which is just what you have suggested, 3 days weights 2 days cardio intervals. Is weight training preferable to cardio?

Thanks again.
11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
A combination of weights and cardio is good. Select the activity based on amount of time you will be working out weekly and eat that daily.

Yes tdee break is eating tdee for a week.

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Thank you soooo much. i really appreciate all your help.
11-06-2012, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 10:27 AM by Lucia.)
(11-06-2012 03:44 AM)MrsH78 Wrote:  Thank you soooo much. i really appreciate all your help.

No problem!blushing

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-28-2012, 12:43 PM
MrsH78 - You could be me! We have almost the exact same stats and I'm also using Jillian's DVD's right now. I also own ChaLean Extreme and think that I will move on that eventually, but for now, the 30-35 minutes length is what works for me. (Plus I don't HEAVY weights at this time.) I'll be interested to see how you progress too. I've been trying to work with the EM2WL philosophy for a couple of months now, but haven't been perfect. So far I'm bouncing around 3 or 4 lbs.