Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When the Student is Ready
11-15-2012, 05:41 PM
When the Student is Ready
They say that when the student is ready the teacher will appear. Well, hello there!

Saw y'all linked on Go Kaleo's Facebook page and it took me about an hour to fall madly in love with you beauties.

I am a 38 year old mom of 2 kids. I am woefully undernourished and need to fix that pronto.

My history (I'm just going to lay it all out there): I was a very overweight kid and starved it off myself. I got really into running in High School and step aerobics. Then in college got really overweight again but always loved being active so I kicked myself into gear via exercise and cutting cals - but way to many calories. I got a job managing a GNC in college and loved the whole big guy lifting scene. So I started lifting about 17 years ago now. But it wasn't until I got some Cathe DVDs (actually VHS at the start) and some Jari Love DVDs that I started to see the benefit of flipping over from spending more time with cardio to investing more time with weights.

I worked out throughout my pregnancies and had natural, quick, drug free deliveries (but NOT easy - they are never "easy"). So, I know the benefits of being strong pay off.

Over the last three years since my second son was born I have immersed myself in the whole Paleo/lifting/leangains culture. Somehow that translated in my head to mean that I needed to fiddle with eating only "approved" foods, eating only at certain times of the day, never eating at certain times of the day, etc.

I started tracking my intake in Cronometer and holy cr#p, I'm not even eating at BMR most days and I am pretty active! I make sure that I am eating at least 80% of my micronutrients, but as important as they are, micros do not fuel a body! The proof of that is despite being at a healthy weight, my period is very occasional. Like 3 times a year. That cannot stand any longer.

So here I am ready to eat big to lift bigger and get stronger and healthier.

I am reading the blog and the forum voraciously but am a total newbie here. I think I am needing to do a reset for 8 weeks which puts me at taking in 2061 cals daily (scooby's TDEE 2061, RMR 1330, cut would be 1752). Does that sound right to you all? I am going to post a log as well.

(YIPPEE!!! A female led forum all about eating more lifting heavy and getting strong! This is for real right?)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2012, 06:59 PM
RE: When the Student is Ready
Lol:-) This is so very real!

I love that are going for the reset. Your body will thank you for it.. Keep an open mind if your period doesn't resume after eight weeks stay the same course of tdee until it returns.

The key with calculating tdee is being honest about the activity level. So many will say they are at tdee but then increase activity which defeats the purpose.

We have a journal section please keep us posted.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-15-2012, 08:45 PM
You bet it's real! SO happy you found us big grin

I totally commend & support your decision to hop right on the reset train. Many of us begin with good intentions, and end up so far from BMR it's scary. You are not alone. But it doesn't matter because you are on your way, now!

If you have any questions along the way just give us a holler wink

It can be a bumpy road at times, but it is oh, so worth it!

Welcome to the fam happy

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Thank you lovelies! I am very excited about this. I started yesterday but not until mid-day so didn't hit my marks. Holy man getting 147 grams of protein is going to be a new adventure for me. That's twice the amount that I eat if I just follow my appetite. I ate like a trucker last night and thought I'd be totally stuffed till morning, but nah. I woke up pretty hooooongry.
11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
LOL, your body is saying..."YESSSSSS"

I get some of mine in with whey from grassfed cows. It does get easier. I struggled at first myself.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink Ready, set, .... I think I'm ready to go! kk_pern 4 6,809 02-19-2014 09:31 AM
Last Post: Trishadams