Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Meredith's Eating Big Lifting Bigger
11-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Meredith's Eating Big Lifting Bigger
I have never done this before but I am going to start a journal here and welcome any and all support I can get!

I am a 38 year old stay at home mom of 2 boys, 6 and 2. I have been exercising regularly since I was 15 and lifting weights since around 22. Success has been hit or miss. Until 5 years or so ago I always prioritized the cardio over weights, but now that's flip flopped over to the weight side of things.

Since having my second baby life has been hectic. BUT I'm always "good" and fit in my workouts whether I have the time to eat to support them or not. Most often it has been not.

I think my food choices have been stellar, whole, nutrient dense foods for the most part. The problem has been I have not been eating enough! I was shocked after reading up on Eatmore2weightless that I haven't even been meeting my BMR most days!

So here I am ready to document my 8 week journey of choking down lots of food, lifting heavy and resetting my metabolism.

My goal is to eat about 1968 calories a day.
147 grams of protein
196 grams carb
65 grams of fat

My goal is to also perform a lifting program that is an upper body/lower body split 4 days a week. 2 days of 10 minutes HIIT followed by moderate walking for 30 minutes. 1 day of yoga, restorative work.

I don't have a scale and don't really think that measure is valuable, so I'll take some body measurements instead.

I took a photo yesterday but it was horrible. I'll try to take one today, but I look pretty bad right now. I'm definitely on the muscle gain train here, not the weight loss one.

Thanks lovely people!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2012, 11:58 AM
RE: Meredith's Eating Big Lifting Bigger
Day 1 was yesterday. I felt like I was eating ALL DAY! I want to make the protein intake the highest priority right now, so I was choking down all sorts of shellfish, cottage cheese, eggs, almonds and salmon yesterday. I got to 120 grams, just shy of the 147 goal. I did not feel bloated and was surprised by that. I was still shy of my total cal intake by 300 calories. I was just DONE eating. But that's still a ton more cals than I was taking in before, so WIN.

I feel a little bloated this morning. Hands are pretty swollen. This is not going to be a ring day I think. I think the flourless chocolate brownies I ate last night might be the culprit.

The coolest thing was that according to cronometer I hit 91% of all my nutrition goals with food alone yesterday! Eating more wholesome food is nutritious! (Who knew!?)

Off to lift happy
11-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Good luck. When I started eating more I felt so stuffed....then I got really hungry!!!!! And I had to scale back my eating. Not to scare you just to let you know. I will be enjoy following your journey.

Give me heavy weights or give me death
11-17-2012, 07:17 PM
(11-17-2012 02:20 PM)yanicka1 Wrote:  Good luck. When I started eating more I felt so stuffed....then I got really hungry!!!!! And I had to scale back my eating. Not to scare you just to let you know. I will be enjoy following your journey.

Thanks for you input! You know it's interesting but the more I have been eating the more I want to eat. When I let my hunger lead me I ended up eating waaaay less. Once I started pumping in that protein I really got HANGRY (hungry + angry) and just HAD to have lunch a little early. I am taking this as a great sign that my body is finally happy it is getting what it needs and boy is she DEMANDING it.
11-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Lol... Yes your body is rejoicing!

I look forward to following your journey.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Yesterday I got all of my protein in but it was WORK! I was still under by a few hundred calories though, pretty much spread evenly between the carb and fat department. You know what that means? Ice cream.

Yesterday We took an impromptu hike with the family and it went way longer than planned, so I ended up having to pack a lot of food in in a short amount of time. I did it though! I still feel pretty good overall. Not bloated and can get the protein in as long as I pulse feed in small amounts (will just have to plan for that and pack protein packs wherever I go).

Here's the weird thing, I feel like I have the flu. Maybe I do have the flu or maybe this is related to eating so much more than I am used to (I'll have to re-read the What to Expect thread).
11-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Just wanted to say Hi and good luck! We are in similiar life situations (I am 37, 2 young kids) and I had to giggle over packing the food. I feel like everytime I leave the house we have to bring "the cooler". It never fails that someone is starving right after leaving the house here wink
11-19-2012, 04:12 PM
(11-19-2012 10:46 AM)woodsygirl Wrote:  Just wanted to say Hi and good luck! We are in similiar life situations (I am 37, 2 young kids) and I had to giggle over packing the food. I feel like everytime I leave the house we have to bring "the cooler". It never fails that someone is starving right after leaving the house here wink

Too funny, I have four kids and same thing...as soon as we walk ou tthe door someone is THIRSTY...like really??? Cause they know I have snacks and drinks with us right...sometimes I will send them right back in the house to go get a cup of water just because...lol

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-19-2012, 06:03 PM
My two boys eat three snacks between breakfast and lunch! They're 2 and 6! What am I going to do when they hit puberty!?!

Anywhoo, it's going well with this eating a ton of food. I am still focusing on getting in my protein first, then total calories and letting the rest fall where it does. I've gotten to withing 20 grams of my goal the last two nights I think. I'm waiting on some whey so I think the shake thing is going to help a ton.

I've been kind of a real food person for a while, but eating so little I never hit all my micronutrients with food alone. NOW I CAN easily! That's awesome.

I was totally flu like for 2 days. achy and major headache. I dug up my old Schwarzbein Principle book (f you haven't read her stuff I really recommend it. It sounds a lot like what the brilliant ladies here are talking about in terms of healing metabolism, but she doesn't talk specifically about TDEE or RMR and stuff). But, she talks about what to expect when upping calories, lowering over-exercise etc. She says that people who are insulin sensitive (moi) but who have burned out adrenals (I suspect moi as well) should expect to gain fat weight before you can lose fat weight. can expect withdrawal symptoms like headaches and fatigue. This sounds like me! She also says that people like me should eat small frequent meals. It is soooo en vogue now to fast and gorge that going back to the 6 meal a day regimen is going to be interesting for me, but I reckon that method will help tons in getting my protein in! She calls this phase "The Transition" and once you go through it, you'll never have to do it again! Well, unless you go back to you old ways, which is not an option.

She also recommends keeping resistance training and cardio type stuff to a 2:1 ratio. So that's like 60 mintues 3 days a week with 2 15 minute cardio sessions. I am going to do some MITT (moderate intensity intervals) and walking. Also daily yoga/stretching.

Sorry for the info dump, it's more to keep reminding myself to stay the course, but also for anyone who is interested this is the book. http://www.amazon.com/The-Schwarzbein-Pr...chwzarbein
11-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Great great great feeling great. I still haven't made it to the total TDEE by about 150 - 200 cals, but I nearly get all protein. I usually sneak my workout in before anyone wakes up in the morning, and I usually rush it so I don't eat much if anything before and don't get to breakfast until 9:30 or so. That's a lot of wasted eating time right there! So today I gobbled down some food before working out and then had a full breakfast immediately after. I am hopeful that this will help me reach my goal calories.

I am so much more hooooongry now. It's actually so welcome. I find when I don't eat often enough or too low carb I just do not have any appetite. Or energy! Hunger means you're alive! Yay to that.

Oh and the last 2 days I've had the most invigorating and enjoyable lifting session in a loooooong time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mama to 7 gets fit by eating more BevB 1 1,893 12-27-2015 10:15 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto