Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My name is Tamara, and I'm a quitter...
11-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Smile My name is Tamara, and I'm a quitter...
I've only been on MFP since September of 2012 and I am beyond grateful to have already learned about the EM2WL group.

I started my weight loss journey a little over a year ago and basically used the web, Youtube and MFP to get started. I didn't actually sign up to MFP then, I simply read success stories and watched all of the successful MFP'ers on the Today Show to gain a wealth of knowledge. I used what I learned to clean up my diet, cut my calories (not sure by how much as I wasn't tracking them - but they were low), walked daily, did a few workout videos and lifted some small weights. I didn't own a scale then and still don't, but, I lost a significant amount of weight as I went down 2 dress sizes and loved the way my legs looked in shorts (for a change).

Shortly after the weight loss my husband and I learned that baby #2 was on the way after 8 years. I was excited and scared at the same time because I had just gotten a handle on the whole weight loss thing and here came the number one way to mess it all up - a pregnancy. I continued to walk the entire pregnancy, lifted even smaller weights and incorporated pregnancy Pilates. I ate fairly well up until the last month in which I indulged in sweets a little to much. I gained 45lbs.

Fast forward to September of this year - 5 months post baby, and I weighed in at 151.4lbs. (The smallest I've ever weighed was 132lbs, this is the weight I was when I found out I was pregnant). I had to figure out how to jump back in the game and get my new/old body back. I was literally scared the entire pregnancy and post that I wasn't going to put in the work I had prior to the pregnancy and end up fat the rest of my life. I set out to use all the things I'd previously learned plus MFP to track calories this time. I've never been a runner, always walked, so I decided in order to get the maximum results I'd try jogging to quickly shed some fat. A few weeks into jogging I began the Couch 2 5K program with a goal to run my first 5K in January. In one month's time I lost 7lbs.

In October I met with a personal trainer and signed up for 2 sessions per week for 6 weeks alternating upper and lower body strength and cardio training. It was around this time that I ran across a MFP success story where a female weighed the exact same in her before and after photo but looked 10x better in the after due to lifting heavy weights and eating 2000+ calories. I was immediately intrigued as I was having a hard time eating 1200 calories and had realized through training just how weak I really was.

One thread led to another and I ended up on the EM2WL site and Youtube channel - I've been hooked since! I used Scooby's calculator and in November I immediately upped my calories to BMR (although I typically net 300-400 calories more). I'm taking the slow route to TDEE as I want to ensure I'm consciously eating healthy when I do bump all the way up. Once there, I will be doing a metabolism reset for 8 weeks then cutting.

I've started the Stronglifts 5x5 program but will transition to the NROLFW as soon as I get the book. I am still training with my trainer 2x per week as well.

However, I quit the Couch to 5K program, agghh! Quitting is something I NEVER do nor condone. I was 5 weeks into the program and had successfully ran for 20 minutes straight when I quit. I am proud of what I've accomplished and am confident that my decision to quit the program will do me more good than harm as I can now focus on HIIT and not having to eat so many calories back each day.

My stats:

Height: 5'1 - - CW: 144 - - BMR: 1426 - - TDEE: 2210 - - TDEE Cut (15%): 1879

Goal: To become stronger (physically, mentally and spiritually) and leaner by eating more and lifting weights.

I'm rooting for each and every one of you to reach your goals and can't stop telling all my friends and family about this site and what I'm doing. I can't express how thankful I am to know what I know so early in my journey, thank you so much KiKi, Lucia and gang!! applause

-Tamara (icantam)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2012, 08:28 PM
RE: My name is Tamara, and I'm a quitter...
Hi Tamara,

WELCOME! So glad you are here!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
11-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Star RE: My name is Tamara, and I'm a quitter...
(11-17-2012 08:28 PM)Lucia Wrote:  Hi Tamara,

WELCOME! So glad you are here!

Hi Lucia!!

Thank you for reading my long introduction! I know so much about you ladies already that I wanted you to have the opportunity to get to know me as well. I'm busy digging into the site and couldn't be more happier, thank you again!

Tamara thumbs up
(icantam on MFP)

Incorporating new rules for a leaner, stronger, beautiful me!
11-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Welcome aboardhappy
Now that you can run 20 minutes, you should use that as your basis for HIIT training.. 20 minutes is perfect length for HIIT running. And that will help you in the long run if you decide to get back into longer distances with your running.
I completed the C25K in the spring time and successfully completed 3-5k races and 2-10k races.. It was/is by far my greatest accomplishment to date, something I never thought I could ever do (larger gal)... I switched focuses after my 3rd 5k and began hiit training and strength training and stopped the 3x a week running. I still enjoy running but I am not competitve enough to really train for races. Maybe in the spring I will get back into it againhappy For now, like you, I am focusing on strength..

All the best. I hope your journey goes smoothly!

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
11-18-2012, 11:27 AM
(11-18-2012 11:13 AM)Raynn Wrote:  Welcome aboardhappy
Now that you can run 20 minutes, you should use that as your basis for HIIT training.. 20 minutes is perfect length for HIIT running. And that will help you in the long run if you decide to get back into longer distances with your running.
I completed the C25K in the spring time and successfully completed 3-5k races and 2-10k races.. It was/is by far my greatest accomplishment to date, something I never thought I could ever do (larger gal)... I switched focuses after my 3rd 5k and began hiit training and strength training and stopped the 3x a week running. I still enjoy running but I am not competitve enough to really train for races. Maybe in the spring I will get back into it againhappy For now, like you, I am focusing on strength..

All the best. I hope your journey goes smoothly!

Awesome advice, thanks Raynn! Congratulations on following through the entire program and competing, you should be proud! I look forward to running my first 5K someday just to say - I did it!

Keep up the good work and keep the great advice rolling in, you are greatly appreciated!!

Tamara thumbs up
(icantam on MFP)

Incorporating new rules for a leaner, stronger, beautiful me!
11-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Hello and Welcome! Glad you found us here.