Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trying to Come to a Decision on my Half
07-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Trying to Come to a Decision on my Half
Well, I'm having some doubts about my half coming up this September. Well, technically I haven't even registered for it, so it's just an idea really. But I've been following a training program to build mileage up. I'm to week 6 of a 12 week program. I've had to take a couple of breaks due to my knee bothering me. My knee is absolutely fine now, but the heat is killing me right now, so I have not been out there for almost a week. Yikes!

But I'm just second guessing myself. It's not that I don't believe I can do it. I've learned enough in the past few months to know that I can dig deep, complete my half marathon training, and run my half. But I guess I'm wondering if I should? I guess what I'm wondering is this. The whole reason I started this journey is because I've yo-yo'd through the years and am now at a very unhealthy weight, body fat %, BMI, whichever tool that's used, it all points the same direction. So when my weight spiked up higher than ever in February of this year, I made the decision that I was done with this. Done with being overweight, tired, upset with the way that I look and feel, etc...So I'm in this to change my body into the healthy me that's here under all of the fat layers. That was my goal when I started getting healthy in February.

What I know is this. Running can be counterproductive. I know that I start to drop more weight when I take a break from running. I know that the closer I get to my half and run longer distances my body will hold onto my fat. I know that with all of this extra fat I'm putting more stress on my joints while running. I don't want to screw up my knee. I know that my legs do not have proper muscle strength that would help me to prevent injury while running

But I also know these things. I love to run - okay, not the last two weeks, but usually. Running has become my therapy - my time of silence in a home filled with my two rambunctious little boys and daycare kiddos who are here five days a week. It relieves a lot of stress for me. I love the way I feel when I cross a finish line. For the past two months I've told everyone who will listen that I'm running a half marathon this year. I want want want this half marathon medal. I can't explain why it means so much, but it does. Perhaps it's to prove it to myself that I can do this?

See how contradictory and jumbled I feel right now? I've had thoughts of forgetting the half for this year and working on NROLFW so that I can improve my strength and drop fat - both of which would reduce risk of injury while training in the future for races. I could work on getting the extra pounds off now so that I can run freer and faster later. So not giving up running, but setting it down for now as a lesser priority. Those are the thoughts that I've been having. But I'm not sure that I can "give up" on my half goal. I've had it taped to my wall and I wonder if I would just feel like a failure if I don't do this.

So I've been going back and forth and driving myself nuts. I know this is a decision that nobody can make for me, but I'd be interested in any thoughts, opinions, etc...

Crystal
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 12:43 PM by ben_running.)
RE: Trying to Come to a Decision on my Half
If you take weight loss out of it, is it still something you want to do?

I trained 4 weeks for my first half but I had a good base at the time. Once I said I would do it, it was a "do it or die" situation. My motivation at that point was reaching the goal and accomplishing it... (in style wink ). And that's what I did. Subsequent races have always been an effort to beat the previous race or some time goal. I like chasing the carrot I guess, but I always have to get the carrot in the end.

The first bike race I did (30 miles), I finished dead last (behind two women who started 10 minutes later than the men), but I finished- that was my goal. Several of my friends pulled out because they fell out of contention. I was happy with my dead last.

So determine your motivation and let your heart guide you. If it will be a big WIN for you regardless of the sacrifice of doing it, I say DO IT. If it's just something to do, then figure out if it is the best use of your time or not (we're all finite in the end). Either way, good luck and let us know what you decide.
07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Wow what a difficult decision. I say do what your heart is telling you to do. Don't worry about what you've told people, just worry about if this is something you must do now. You can always continue to run but just shorter distances since it is your passion.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
07-10-2012, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 04:03 AM by oonga.)
Hey Crystal,
I haven't commented in this thread or the MFP one, only because i really don't know what to say happy
I honestly believe it has to be a decision only you can make, and i don't have any sensible or valuable input.

I myself have been struggling with the whole HM thing. As you know I completed my HM training, and have battled with do I go and do a HM so i know i have done one? Thankfully i have managed to remain injury free.

I have certainly noticed that I have become more flabby with the HM training Sad
As the mileage increased the strength component decreased.

I am now into my 4th week of the L & F program, which incorporates some running (about 10mins of steady state jogging and 20mins of sprint intervals and then 10mins of steady state jogging) for cardio on 2 days and 2 days of strength training which have things like step ups, burpees etc between two or so sets to keep the cardio rate slightly elevated, but nothing really intense as far as cardio goes on the strength days.
1 day of stretch and core and then the SSS days which incorporates some cardio along with strength stuff.

My eating has gone to shit Sad but i am noticing that i can again slightly feel some of my ab muscle, nowhere near seeing them yet LOL

Anyhow i have put in for Annual Leave for sunday august 5th ( i have to give 1 month notice) to participate in a small off road HM happy
My partner, the dogs and I are going on sunday to check out the course, its around a resevoir. If it's not overly hilly i will send in an entry happy
we don't have hills i can train on so if its very hilly i won't bother with it!

I will have to get a few Long runs and tempo runs in over the next 2 weeks, but hopefully having completed my HM only a month or so ago, i shouldn't have had too much of a setback. My aim is to complete it firstly, and secondly complete it in under 3 hours.

ANYHOW after outdoing kiki in the rambling department i just read this article that someone posted on MFP.
I vaguely recall that you have thyroid issues?? Sorry if i am wrong!! I know you don't do massive amounts of running ( I do think the points are more aimed at those who do massive amounts of running, not balanced amounts) but as i read the article I did think of you. I have not researched the accuracy of the thyroid comments but seeing as i thought of you i am sharing it with you and you can do what you want with it happy

Good luck with your decision and if you do decide to go ahead with it please update. That way i can cheer you on all the way from Australia big grin

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-ar...o-trouble/
07-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Well, considering I just registered for my half, I guess my decision is made. It takes place on September 23rd. I'm really looking forward to it. Honestly, it's not all that far away. So I think it feels right to me to stick with my training and run my half. I really really really want this under my belt. After that I will likely take a few full weeks off of training. About that time I'll also be due for a diet break so I may start NROLFW while on a diet break and then drop back down to cut when I'm ready to. So that's my plan.

Oh...and the knee has been feeling great. My body did great handling the race that I just completed yesterday - seven miles. I feel like being halfway to the 13 miles, this just seems right!

Crystal
07-30-2012, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 03:42 AM by oonga.)
You go girl! You know your body better than anyone else! maybe you were just having a bit of fear happening more than anything else wink
I look forward to hearing about your HM!!
Glad to hear your knee has sorted itself out big grin
07-30-2012, 07:21 AM
I am so happy for you that you are going for it. I know you will shine!