Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1st time bulking
03-01-2013, 11:09 PM
1st time bulking
I decided to throw caution to the wind and begin my bulk today. I was going to wait about a month, but I figured it's the start of a new month so why not mix it up!

I changed up my workout routine. I was doing Supreme 90, but decided to change to Chalene Supreme as it's more weights based. I really want to try to increase my strength/muscle so when I move on to my cut, I'll be looking good. lol I'm going to try to do 1-2 days of cardio, no more than 20 minutes, when I'm not doing Chalene.

No pictures yet(I may take some tomorrow morning), but I did take some measurements. They're not the best(and silly me forgot to measure my hips). Here's what I got:

Weight: 124.1
Body Fat %: scale-24.4
caliphers-22.7
R Bicep: 10
L Bicep: 10
Waist: 30.25
R Thigh: 17
L Thigh: 18
R Calf: 15
L Calf: 14

I set my calories to 2000/day. According to my BodyMedia Fit, on a regular day of not doing any additional exercise I burn approximately 1800 calories, so I added 200 onto that. I'm going to monitor & see if this gets to be too many/few calories & will adjust accordingly.

I'm a little nervous, but at the same time I'm hoping to get good things out of this. nail biting More to come...

Heather
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 08:38 AM
RE: 1st time bulking
So, this is getting easier and easier as the days go on. Finding I can fit my calorie allotance in without feeling too stuffed and filling it with good stuff(mostly). Trying to keep my protein high.

Noticing great gains in lifting. I've been able to go up 5-10lbs from what I was lifting before.

Weighed myself this morning & here are the stats:

Weight: 124.1(stayed the same, I'll take it)
Body fat %: 24.3

I hope to have before pics to post shortly.
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Nice! Isn't it amazing when you increase cals and discover all this energy for lifts that you didn't know was missing? Lol. That's been the hardest part about cutting (well...other than eating less tongue) just watching my lifts dwindle back down. Kinda depressing when you come out of beast mode during bulk lol.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Good luck! wink
03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I need to learn to let go of a 'bad' day because in the long run it's not going to effect me all that much. It doesn't happen that often and even if I do have one, it'll help my muscles grow(that's the way I'm going to look at it.)lol

OMG, it really is amazing about the strength/engery gains!! I didn't know I had it in me, I'm loving it. It makes me sad to think about not eating as much. I don't know how I was living before on my cut cals.haha
03-14-2013, 05:43 PM
So, not sure if it's because it's TOM or I just came off of 2 almost, if not at, 3,000 cal days(yikes, I know!!) but my legs feel like they want to bust through my normal jeans!! I'm not complaining, though. I've started to notice some more muscle definition in my legs which I'm loving. The one thing I'm not currently loving is my stomach/love handle area. It feels like gross & bloated. I'm hoping after TOM is over & all the excess food has digested, that will go away a little.

I'm still loving the strength gains & energy from this bulk! My husband lifted up my weights the other day & was like 'Not to sound like a wimp, but those are heavy'.lol They were set for leg day(which is heavier), but hey I'll take it regardless.
03-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Now that is really a good compliment when hubby comments on the weight :-)

Sounds more like my old Tom issues more so than bulking. I know I have talked quite a bit about Braggs apple cider vinegar... It took away my symptoms. You may want to give it a try. 2tbs in 16oz of water daily.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
03-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Def sounds like TOM to me. Add bulking to the mix, and a recipe for pants suffocation can definitely arise. Lol.

Some quick/ light cardio (walk/bike/elliptical) can help release a bit of the lactic acid buildup in the legs as well. 10-20 min.

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

03-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Lucia,
He said it was early morning before he ate anything & wasn't fully awake so that's why he said they were heavy. Excuses, excuses!!laughing
Thank you for the apple cider vinegar!! I actually started taking it last week maybe(due to your endorsements of it)so hopefully I'll notice a difference when it comes to next TOM.

Kiki,
I'm going to try an easy walk on the treadmill tonight to see if it will help. I'm still feeling the massiveness in my legs(but I'm really hoping it's due to muscle/strength more than TOM now).

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm just starting to feel fat & disgusting all around. I've been trying to stick to relatively healthy foods(oatmeal, eggs, chicken, peanut butter, greek yogurt,etc) but I feel like a massive blob! sigh This is normal, right? Or could this mean I may be eating foods that are too high in fat and need to re-evaluate my meals?
03-20-2013, 08:34 PM
It's normal. Bulking is a complete and utter mind game. For real. A game where you often do best just turning your mind OFF and letting your body do its thing. When you are lifting heavy and eating for muscle, you will feel it.

Best bet is to hold off for as long as you think you possibly can. Then go 3-4 weeks longer, lol. You can obviously stop whenever, but you have to remember that women only gain minuscule amounts of muscle per week/month, so your mind is going to over exaggerate everything. You're gonna feel "too fat" and that you've gained "enough muscle" when in actuality, 80-90% of your "fat gain" is water, and 80-90% of your "enough muscle" doesn't exist. tongue

Just keeping it real. But it's YOUR bulk. It ends when you say so happy

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Stronger together! Time to #crushthedietmentality Tereza Toledo 0 246 09-04-2017 04:46 PM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Time to Eat! Today is my day! skinny4me2be 649 199,429 02-24-2017 05:42 PM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
Wink It's MY time to change....finally Jdnara 31 8,269 05-04-2016 09:03 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Taking my time through this process Mara1 84 27,877 09-09-2015 05:31 PM
Tongue Tales of "Sausage Girl "- aka Kiki's Bulking/STS progress Kiki 155 110,895 08-15-2015 08:18 PM
  STS first time Crocatilla 8 5,661 02-08-2013 07:22 PM
Last Post: woodsygirl